South Chilcotin - 2013

May 19, 2013, 5:40 p.m.

It's on!

Hurley road is open.
Bralorne/Gun Lake local trails are open.
Gun Cr. trail to Spruce Lake is open - Dale did the first float plane drop on Spruce yesterday.

Enjoy it before the fires start - snowpack is really low up there this year.

May 19, 2013, 9:08 p.m.

Wow. Earliest opening in long time.
Might be able to do some big laps this year during longest days (late June, early July) without lights.

June 4, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

Any updates for the higher elevation rides? Eg. above tree line.

Anyone been out on the Relay road to see if it survived the winter?

Starting to plan for the first trip up there this year.

June 5, 2013, 8:31 a.m.

Tyax adventures has cleared out the gun creek trail from spruce. Warner not quite ready. Snow line looking to be 6500 feet or so. Been staying cool since may and the snow melt has slowed. South aspect meadows are green and tacky. Blow down seems to be average. Would not plan anything too ambitious early season unless it includes clearing trails as you go. Though I hear some keeners have been doing just that.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 5, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

JD, Thanks for the update.

Thanks to Tyax Adventures for the work on the Gun Creek trail.

I was wondering how the melt had been going since the weather had cooled off from the early warm spell.

We are used to having to clear trails of blow down when going in early season.

June 9, 2013, 7:51 p.m.

Tyax Adventures did a blog post on the trail conditions as of Sat. June 8th:
http://www.tyaxadventures.com/blog/spring-trail-updates/

June 10, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

Hey guys, I'm going to be up in the Chilcotins for 4 days in early August. Getting dropped at Warner on our first day. Planned route back to Tyax is via Gun Creek Trail to Spruce then High Trail over Windy Pass to the Lick Creek descent. Anyone ever done this? Too bold for one day? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shed head!

June 10, 2013, 11:55 p.m.

warner to spruce is mostly down, but a few good climbs. high trail out of spruce is a tough climb, you'll be walking a fair bit unless you're really fit. bit of a climb up to lick after descending windy pass, but it's fairly short.

seems like a strange way to use warner, though i'm not really a warner drop fan anyway. why not go right to lorna and out from there? its a longer day than what you plan above, but so much better. or save your $$ and shuttle to taylor and go from there - tag windy pass, turn around, and go back to lick.

June 11, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

King, I've never done the route you have proposed but it is probably possible with a small, quick group that has one of the early flights.

It is a climb from the Cowboy camp up to Spruce Lake. (If someone wants to make it a 4 lake tour vs. the regular 3; Warner, Trigger, Hummingbird)
We did that by accident the last time…

As Clark mentioned, a lot of the climb from Spruce up to Windy Pass is hike-a-bike (although I haven't been up that way in a bunch of years, at the time the trail is was a rough horse trail that was soft and muddy due to the weather at the time).
Some pics here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=1150395[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=2

June 11, 2013, 1:27 p.m.

It is a climb from the Cowboy camp up to Spruce Lake. (If someone wants to make it a 4 lake tour vs. the regular 3; Warner, Trigger, Hummingbird)
We did that by accident the last time…

At least it turned out to be a good 'accident' :)

June 11, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

warner to spruce is mostly down, but a few good climbs. high trail out of spruce is a tough climb, you'll be walking a fair bit unless you're really fit. bit of a climb up to lick after descending windy pass, but it's fairly short.

seems like a strange way to use warner, though i'm not really a warner drop fan anyway. why not go right to lorna and out from there? its a longer day than what you plan above, but so much better. or save your $$ and shuttle to taylor and go from there - tag windy pass, turn around, and go back to lick.

Looking for ideas as I'm a relatively new to routes in the South Chilcotins. Last year we shuttled Taylor, climbed to Camel and made our way over to Lick Creek our first day, second day was a drop at Spruce (that was all that was available at booking) and we descended Gun Creek to Jewel. I wanted to try something different and your idea of tagging Windy Pass after the Taylor Basin climb and returning to Lick sounds like a plan.

Trying to figure out something other than descending the Gun Creek trail all the way from Warner in one day. Unfortunately Lorna was not an option. We will also have a group of 8 to boot.

Shed head!

June 11, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

Looking for ideas as I'm a relatively new to routes in the South Chilcotins. Last year we shuttled Taylor, climbed to Camel and made our way over to Lick Creek our first day, second day was a drop at Spruce (that was all that was available at booking) and we descended Gun Creek to Jewel. I wanted to try something different and your idea of tagging Windy Pass after the Taylor Basin climb and returning to Lick sounds like a plan.

Trying to figure out something other than descending the Gun Creek trail all the way from Warner in one day. Unfortunately Lorna was not an option. We will also have a group of 8 to boot.

do warner, but head up to B[HTML_REMOVED]F instead of Lick….if you're going to stick with over windy…bit of a grunt to get up there, but way less used than Lick and pretty awesome too.

June 11, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

do warner, but head up to B[HTML_REMOVED]F instead of Lick….if you're going to stick with over windy…bit of a grunt to get up there, but way less used than Lick and pretty awesome too.

Is this route doable leaving Warner around 9 in one day?

Shed head!

June 11, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

A little late but here are a few shots from the May Long week-end a couple of weeks ago….

http://patmulrooney.blogspot.ca/2013/06/shootin-up-gun-creek.html

June 12, 2013, 2:10 p.m.

^ is that PJ Hunton's place in Bralorne?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40