Seymour 2014 Conditions

Dec. 1, 2014, 8:12 a.m.

With Strava segments and their heat map, nothing is going to be secret for long, so I find the anal retentiveness on this site about trail directions quite laughable now.

Dec. 1, 2014, 8:23 a.m.

sorry, but making a facebook post to thousands of people about a new nsmba trail without giving out any directions other than its on seymour is a bit of a dick move. either that, or it was premeditated and to facilitate coming on here to rant.

and at the end of it all, all the ranting is doing is tainting the celebration of the new trail and all the good work people have done on it.

Yes Fasia, Trails for All.

so will the fromme climbing trail be appearing on trailforks soon too, you know, in the spirit of 'trails for all'. plus its really easy to get lost up there in that rats nest of connectors.

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:41 a.m.

Let's see. On Saturday. The NSMBA and a bunch of volunteers were out in -4 temperatures finishing building a new trail for us to enjoy. They were pleased with their work so they posted about it on Facebook.

Now a bunch of people requiring instant gratification bitch that 2 days later the location of the trail hasn't yet been published.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to take a GPS track, clean it up, integrate it with other data and get that posted. I'm sure they had better stuff to do in their free time on a weekend.

Thanks to all the trail builders and acadamy students for putting in a new trail for us.

that is NOT what happened at all. there were two people that posted reasonable questions and ended up getting ripped for it. here are there posts, please point out where they bitch and demand instant gratification:

Anyone have more info on the new "academy climb" trail?

Isn't the academy climb on fromme? I'm also keen to know where this trail begins and ends.

there's no demanding or bitchiness there at all. get the story straight before you post.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

Calm down children. NSMBA said on Facebook that Academy will be on Trailforks later today. Geez.

Props to the builders. You guys are awesome.

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

I'm confused about the hate people get for asking (politely imo) about the new trail after the posting that was made on Facebook. A post that reads:

"Feel free to ride, strava, put on your gps, talk about it on the internet-the NSMBA builds trails for everyone."

I'm all for keeping details off the internet but that would include Facebook posts like this.

All this shouldn't take away that I'm stoked to have new climbing trail and really appreciate the hard work that gone into it!

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

I can't believe they tore out the old buck for this new upper. :cry:

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

Exploring is one of the best things about mtbing which is why sites like trail forks are shit, trails find you when youre ready.

For some trails, sure, why not. But as a community, we've grown past the need for the secret trail society. Just focusing on the shore; NSMBA's mantra: Trails for all, trails forever. It's a simple mission statement, but powerful. Have trails that anyone is entitled to access and use, and keep them sustainable so that everyone can continue enjoying them.

So, I ask you, what about trail forks is shit? It helps improve accessibility, allows feedback to get back to the trail stewards, is global and user friendly, and it's moderated. Also worth noting, if you prefer to go for an adventure and don't want to know where the trails are, then you can choose not to use the map. Seems like a win on all fronts, unless you are riding rogue trails, then it is a fail, but, while NSMBA is working hard to keep the trails open, rogue trails are working against what they are trying to set up for the future of the sport.

This view probably goes against what most here think, and this perspective is probably as welcome as not outright expressing hatred towards e-bikes.

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

Seems like a win on all fronts, unless you are riding rogue trails, then it is a fail, but, while NSMBA is working hard to keep the trails open, rogue trails are working against what they are trying to set up for the future of the sport.

then the question is why are people still riding rogue trails?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

then the question is why are people still riding rogue trails?

There's a list of reasons, could be a lack of education (they don't know any better), a stand against the NSMBA/DNV/Metro Van because they don't agree with what's going on, could be that someone wanted the trail and didn't want to get involved with the politics. Of course, it could just be that some people are selfish.

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:23 p.m.

it would be intersting to see who's riding rogue trails.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:23 p.m.

could be that a majority of trails in the province are still un-authorized, and in a lot of places, it's crown land that will be, or has been, logged so maybe it's not that big a deal

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:28 p.m.

could be that a majority of trails in the province are still un-authorized, and in a lot of places, it's crown land that will be, or has been, logged so maybe it's not that big a deal

true. depending where one rides how a rogue trail is defined may be different. i think on the shore though it's relatively clear what consitutes a rogue trail.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

well, today's posts provide some interesting reads…..

trails for all, maps and directions for those in the know…. till trailforks gets updated.

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:59 p.m.

well, today's posts provide some interesting reads…..

trails for all, maps and directions for those in the know…. till trailforks gets updated.

Are you expecting an instant upload of the GPS track? This sounds pretty demanding, entitled, and impatient to me.

And as a general comment…

From the NSMB Terms of Use and Rules for the NSMB Bulletin Baords…

"…you can post anything that you would like (within reason), as long as it doesn’t contain the following things:
….
7.Specific directions to trails…"

Dec. 1, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

i don't think i demanded anything actually….. just made an observation.