Seymour 2014 Conditions

Oct. 8, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

Tree's down on gnomer, trail's been closed. :(

I think gnoamer gets shut down for the wet season now.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 8, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

What is this gnomer that people speak of…? If asking about trails is taboo, please disregard this comment.

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 8, 2014, 2:08 p.m.

I think gnoamer gets shut down for the wet season now.

Well there is basically a forest dumped on the entrance, and half way down the trail. There is also a bunch of DNV signage saying the trail is closed.

Oct. 8, 2014, 2:11 p.m.

What is this gnomer that people speak of…? If asking about trails is taboo, please disregard this comment.

I don't think asking about this one is taboo, as all the signage about it being closed makes it obvious. On the bottom half of forever after - look for the sign and the tape about a closed trail.

Oct. 8, 2014, 3:24 p.m.

I don't think asking about this one is taboo, as all the signage about it being closed makes it obvious. On the bottom half of forever after - look for the sign and the tape about a closed trail.

Too bad that trail is now closed. It was a great climbing trail that still allowed for most of the fun portions of Forever After. Didn't know what the name was, now I do, but the trail is now closed. Oh well

Oct. 8, 2014, 11:15 p.m.

Well there is basically a forest dumped on the entrance, and half way down the trail. There is also a bunch of DNV signage saying the trail is closed.

That`s interesting. That was a favorite loop I would do with my friends when riding the shore.

They said this trail should always be ok since its been there for a long time and its not in DNV, only the top part near where it connects with Forever After is in Metro Vancouver. Its in that part of Seymour with no active land manager.

Too bad since this does make a great loop, makes more sense as an access to Forever After rather then an old school black diamond trail and would probably have limited access and wear to Forever After from the beginning since you would have to climb to get to it.

Has anyone asked the NSMBA about this? I would think they would want this trail as part of the network since it also makes an easier exit to get off Forever After for those who may be over their heads, thus prevent further erosion on the trail. Or if they get hurt its easy to get out.

Oct. 9, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

Too bad since this does make a great loop, makes more sense as an access to Forever After rather then an old school black diamond trail and would probably have limited access and wear to Forever After from the beginning since you would have to climb to get to it.

Too bad indeed - I liked it as a climbing trail as well. Made for a great short loop to add on at the end of the ride when you wanted a little extra trail nugget!

However, there is legit blue level access via the entrance of Severed and the cleaned-up BP thanks to the BC Bike Race (I don't count riding the powerline road as an option even though that was always a possibility). You don't have to access via an old school black trail anymore….

Oct. 9, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

However, there is legit blue level access via the entrance of Severed and the cleaned-up BP thanks to the BC Bike Race (I don't count riding the powerline road as an option even though that was always a possibility). You don't have to access via an old school black trail anymore….

Cool, but the Baden Powell isn't exactly an xc trail! not to mention is full of hikers doing the 'seymour grind' on a Saturday! really amazed that was allowed to happen.

curious as to why the DNV would shut down this section when its not in the DNV and has nothing to do with the Baden Powell route.

Oct. 9, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

There is also a bunch of DNV signage saying the trail is closed.

its probably just Metro. they put ones up on the dales rock bypass too.

Oct. 10, 2014, 10:34 a.m.

Gnomer has some very sensitive areas that need to be closed during the wet season. It's a great nugget that makes for a good climb option to FA but I can say that after a couple of years of increased popularity it's pretty easy to see how poorly some areas hold up to wet season riding. Please respect the closures :)

Oct. 10, 2014, 10:59 a.m.

dales rock bypass too.

what's the deal with this line currently? it looks very much open right now. appears to be fresh work.

Oct. 10, 2014, 1:47 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2841502]Gnomer has some very sensitive areas that need to be closed during the wet season. It's a great nugget that makes for a good climb option to FA but I can say that after a couple of years of increased popularity it's pretty easy to see how poorly some areas hold up to wet season riding. Please respect the closures :)

oh, cool, so its just a winter closure? Seems like it would be easy to reroute the sections that were mucky, especially with the awesome trail work the NSMBA has been doing recently.

Oct. 10, 2014, 2:03 p.m.

Yeah, just a seasonal closure, will probably go until late May.

I'm not sure how easy rerouting the mucky sections would be, the whole low lying area at the beginning is pretty bad for drainage and the full trail is full of sensitive, rooty climbs that won't hold up to wet weather traffic.

Personally I'd rather see it stay on the dl without the exposure trail work brings and be closed during the wet season. It's not gonna be much fun slipping over all those steep off camber root/rock sections in the wet anyway…

Oct. 14, 2014, 3:33 p.m.

Had a chance to get out for a few rides this past weekend;

Ridge-runner - saweet, no issues, short/fun trail that I hadn't ridden for some time.

Bottletop - starting to get brake-bumped up a bit on some of the corners. Still draining well and the new exit is holding up.

Bridle before the rock/BP/gnomer/Shorn junction - stop braiding…with the wet weather there are some "new" tracks around the slippery rocks which is widening the trail. Will need some love in the spring… Now that I'm thinking about it, next ride, I may put down some strategic sticks/logs.

Severed D - the rock-roll to the bridge is a pretty harsh transition now (puddle at the bottom has created a hole). I almost went OTB. Better to wheelie-drop it. The rest of the trail is in great shape. The new bottom section is awesome and super-fun. Great job NSRide and DB!

-Gord

Oct. 14, 2014, 3:50 p.m.

Severed D - the rock-roll to the bridge is a pretty harsh transition now (puddle at the bottom has created a hole). I almost went OTB. Better to wheelie-drop it. The rest of the trail is in great shape. The new bottom section is awesome and super-fun. Great job NSRide and DB!-Gord

You dropped the rock roll? lol. It's designed to discourage airing due to the high foot traffic and blind exit off the bridge. It's probably just a blocked drain, there's more than 2ft of solid rock under that gold! Thanks for the heads up, glad you like the trail.

Sustainable will be around forever.