Seymour 2014 Conditions

May 1, 2014, 9:17 p.m.

Rode Dales tonight for the first time in a while… on my way down I was thinking I wish they would build a ride around for that steep rock chute part of the trail… so I get down to that section and to my surprise, I see a re-route has been built but there is also a sign there saying something along the lines of 'unauthorized trail building will be decommissioned' - what is the story here? The new piece of trail actually seemed to be pretty solid and I think a re-route of this section is a no-brainer seeing that Dales is pretty much the only way (or the most logical way) to get to Forever After, which is a blue xc type trail and that section of Dales would have to be considered double black.

Anyone know what the story is here? Even if this ride around is unauthorized, I am hoping that the right people do whatever necessary to make this a legit part of the trail, because I would guess that 95% of people riding Dales are probably walking that section.

May 1, 2014, 10 p.m.

Anyone know what the story is here?

come on out.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2014-04_town-hall-meeting-may-13th

May 2, 2014, 8:24 a.m.

Rode Dales tonight for the first time in a while… on my way down I was thinking I wish they would build a ride around for that steep rock chute part of the trail… so I get down to that section and to my surprise, I see a re-route has been built but there is also a sign there saying something along the lines of 'unauthorized trail building will be decommissioned' - what is the story here? The new piece of trail actually seemed to be pretty solid and I think a re-route of this section is a no-brainer seeing that Dales is pretty much the only way (or the most logical way) to get to Forever After, which is a blue xc type trail and that section of Dales would have to be considered double black.

built by someone other then Mark, so shut it down!

formally wernie

May 2, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

Anyone know what the story is here? Even if this ride around is unauthorized, I am hoping that the right people do whatever necessary to make this a legit part of the trail, because I would guess that 95% of people riding Dales are probably walking that section.

I am working on Dales this year with the Muddbunnies and Ryders Eyewear. You can find more info about our plans for this year here: http://muddbunnies.com/ClubVancouver/news-2

My priority this year is to address standing water and poor drainage while maintaining the natural integrity of the trail. As for the bypass around the large rock face, it will happen, but it is not my top priority. As it stands a fair portion of the rogue line would need to be re-built.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 2, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

I rode Dales last night and saw and rode the ride around. It appears to be very well done (almost done/complete), in that it fits in well with the general feel of the trail. I knew that I wasn't going to hit the big rock face last night so I thought I would give the bypass a try.

Hopefully this is going to stay as it does ride very well. Props to those putting it the work on it.

May 2, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

I rode Dales last night and saw and rode the ride around. It appears to be very well done (almost done/complete), in that it fits in well with the general feel of the trail. I knew that I wasn't going to hit the big rock face last night so I thought I would give the bypass a try.

Hopefully this is going to stay as it does ride very well. Props to those putting it the work on it.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

May 2, 2014, 9:36 p.m.

I concur. The Ride around is Awesome. Saves me from even considering the rock face.

May 2, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

That sounds like a good option. Especially when riding alone, you may not want to risk the rock face section.

Thread killer

May 2, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

I disagree. A half built unsanctioned "braid" doesn't help anything on a TAP'd trail.
Rock is easy to walk, I do it all the time plus the "braid" makes one miss some other nice rock lines.

May 3, 2014, 5:57 a.m.

I am hoping that the right people do whatever necessary to make this a legit part of the trail, because I would guess that 95% of people riding Dales are probably walking that section.

As for the bypass around the large rock face, it will happen, but it is not my top priority. As it stands a fair portion of the rogue line would need to be re-built.

I concur. The Ride around is Awesome. Saves me from even considering the rock face.

I disagree. A half built unsanctioned "braid" doesn't help anything on a TAP'd trail.

The silly season starts early this year……

Pastor of Muppets

May 3, 2014, 7:10 a.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 3, 2014, 7:19 a.m.

so i'd ask, then why even ride the trail? those rock faces and a couple other steeps sections are the main reasons to hit dale's at all.

i understand the need for a way to get to forever after though besides rolling down the powelines, so maybe cleaning up BP a bit from the top of severed would provide a route that is much more in line with what forever after offers.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 3, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

I was wondering when the dick swinging would start.

May 3, 2014, 8:43 a.m.

IMO,if unsolicited help is of good quality,TAPpers should be grateful and perhaps try to work with the "rogue" builder.

Pastor of Muppets

May 3, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

IMO,if unsolicited help is of good quality,TAPpers should be grateful and perhaps try to work with the "rogue" builder.

True enough, just does not sound like that is the case.