Seymour 2014 Conditions

Dec. 3, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

Damn, lower Seymour has become an awesome challenging zone to pedal… you can easily spend an afternoon in there, without backtracking or getting bored much. Academy looks like a nice addition, especially when the snow line is creeping down. And riding year round is fortunate, huge thanks to everyone who made it a lot more enjoyable than it used to be cheers. PS I'm ok with the chopped log on Cardiac.

Yep nice job to all involved!

Dec. 7, 2014, 10:33 p.m.

Sooooo….today did not suck! Trails were just amazing! Severed was super awesome! But the most enjoyable was the pedalling off of Bridle! Salamander, RT and full High School loop were in great condition after the rain.
There were sooooooooo many riders out today and the stoke factor was high! Too bad about the rain but I'd love to see some snow in the mountains (fingers are crossed the freezing level drops)….

Dec. 8, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Sooooo….today did not suck! Trails were just amazing! Severed was super awesome! But the most enjoyable was the pedalling off of Bridle! Salamander, RT and full High School loop were in great condition after the rain.
There were sooooooooo many riders out today and the stoke factor was high! Too bad about the rain but I'd love to see some snow in the mountains (fingers are crossed the freezing level drops)….

Yes, got out for a good ride yesterday afternoon. So nice and warm. Rode TNT and the stream/creek crossing was as high as I had seen it, but surprisingly very little water on the trails.

Lots of folks out biking, running, hiking - all enjoying being out on such a nice day.

Dec. 8, 2014, 10 p.m.

FYI:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks_lscr/lscr/Pages/default.aspx

Due to a rockslide in the Seymour River, expect extensive trail closures in the following areas:
Fisherman’s Trail, Homestead Trail, Twin Bridges Trail, Riverside Drive, Hyannis Point, Circuit 8, Incline Trail and east side trail network.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 13, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

Bottletop Trail Closed until Further notice. Please respect the closure

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2850749[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=182

_Originally Posted by MrBond View Post
Some hard facts about the Seymour River Rockslide:

In a 1 in 10 year flood event, the existing bridge at Twin Bridges would be under 4m of water. The bridge will be removed in the very near future. There are no short term (3-5 years)and probably no long term options for a new major crossing at this location.

The Fisherman's Trail will be decommissioned between Twin Bridges and Mystery Creek Trail. There are thousands of trees along the edge of the trail that are currently underwater, many are already falling down. All of these trees will die in the next two years and they will take most of Fisherman's Trail with them. Metro Vancouver is being proactive to decommission the trail for safety considerations (danger tree hazards).

In a 1 and 50 year flood event, the exit of the Bottletop trail would be under 4m of water. The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today. This trail is low on the list of Metro Vancouver's worries right now and if people continue to use it and cause frustration for Metro, they will decommission the entire trail immediately. If people stay off the trail, then there will be an opportunity to work with the NSMBA to reroute the bottom section of the trail to meet up with the Mystery Creek trail at Fisherman's. Bottom line: Don't ride Bottletop or we will loose it permanently.

The Ministry of Environment and Department of Fisheries and Oceans will be meeting with Metro as soon as possible to discuss that fact that fish will be knocking on the door in a few months and they have no where to go.

This is a shocking change to the landscape, and we have lost a critical connection across the Seymour river that has been there since 1908.

Link to my Facebook page to discuss, if you like that kind of thing._

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 14, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

Dec. 16, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

There's a list of reasons, could be a lack of education (they don't know any better), a stand against the NSMBA/DNV/Metro Van because they don't agree with what's going on, could be that someone wanted the trail and didn't want to get involved with the politics. Of course, it could just be that some people are selfish.

Or it could be simply that it looks like a fun ride. If I come across a sweet looking trail when l am out exploring, l don't check the map before riding it. If a trail exists it will get ridden, sanctioned or not. Go ahead and call me selfish if you want.

Dec. 16, 2014, 11:44 p.m.

Or it could be simply that it looks like a fun ride. If I come across a sweet looking trail when l am out exploring, l don't check the map before riding it. If a trail exists it will get ridden, sanctioned or not. Go ahead and call me selfish if you want.

OK, selfish.

Dec. 18, 2014, 5:03 p.m.

it would be intersting to see who's riding rogue trails.

everybody?

Are you expecting an instant upload of the GPS track? This sounds pretty demanding, entitled, and impatient to me.

And as a general comment…

From the NSMB Terms of Use and Rules for the NSMB Bulletin Baords…

"…you can post anything that you would like (within reason), as long as it doesn’t contain the following things:
….
7.Specific directions to trails…"

wow, a simple description could have easily avoided this whole conflict, unless that is what this woodro person was looking for… especially since, as has been said, the trail was already mentioned on social media

OK, selfish.

aren't we all?

Dec. 18, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

everybody?

no, not everybody.

rogue trails are a funny topic. on one had i can see some benefit as they help spread out trail traffic. they also offer riding options that typically don't exist on the sanctioned trails which is of course a benefit for riders. on the negative side though they leave mtb'ers with a bad image in the eyes of some of the public and i would guess are a pain for the land managers to deal with as well. i would also guess that some land managers are less inclined to work with mtb'ers in terms of opening up new trails if the community is not able to act responsibly.

some people won't ride rogue trails simply because they're not aware of where they are. some won't maybe because they aren't capable of riding the trail. and some choose not to because the perceived negative impact is more important to them than their own need to ride the trail.

people get to make their own choices and hopefully those choices don't negatively impact the riding community as a whole.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 18, 2014, 8:18 p.m.

no, not everybody.

rogue trails are a funny topic. on one had i can see some benefit as they help spread out trail traffic. they also offer riding options that typically don't exist on the sanctioned trails which is of course a benefit for riders. on the negative side though they leave mtb'ers with a bad image in the eyes of some of the public and i would guess are a pain for the land managers to deal with as well. i would also guess that some land managers are less inclined to work with mtb'ers in terms of opening up new trails if the community is not able to act responsibly.

some people won't ride rogue trhiails simply because they're not aware of where they are. some won't maybe because they aren't capable of riding the trail. and some choose not to because the perceived negative impact is more important to them than their own need to ride the trail.

people get to make their own choices and hopefully those choices don't negatively impact the riding community as a whole.

Well said Syncro. I couldn't agree more.

Dec. 18, 2014, 9:04 p.m.

well that's odd, when i stood up just now i bumped my head on the ceiling.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:46 p.m.

I sometimes ride rogue trails because I'm old and shit, and ironically most of the rogue trails that I know of are easier than the mapped trails.
They are either ancient trails that are largely forgotten, or what the braaaaahs call loamers, or what I'd call a normal UK singletrack trail. It is amusing that for all the bitching about dumbing down the Shore, most of the unofficial building that I find I could ride on a rigid bike with canti brakes, and I'm not exactly Wade Simmons.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 18, 2014, 10:56 p.m.

I sometimes ride rogue trails because I'm old and shit, and ironically most of the rogue trails that I know of are easier than the mapped trails.
They are either ancient trails that are largely forgotten, or what the braaaaahs call loamers, or what I'd call a normal UK singletrack trail. It is amusing that for all the bitching about dumbing down the Shore, most of the unofficial building that I find I could ride on a rigid bike with canti brakes, and I'm not exactly Wade Simmons.

yeah, there is something to be said for riding the duffers, they definitely have a unique feel to them.

re the rogue trails, i wouldn't necessarily called an old [HTML_REMOVED] forgotten trail rogue though. i think rogue is more for trails where you know for sure they shouldn't be like in bc parks or in the watershed for example.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2014, 6:19 p.m.

Wouldn't Rogue trails be the ones not recognized by a land manager?

Such as the trails in the CMHC on Mt. Seymour and the trails on Cypress mountain? What about Burke and Eagle?

Or are these loamers people refer to braids off main trails that people prefer to ride if the main line is not as much fun. More reason to ensure your trail network is maintained.