Seymour 2014 Conditions

Nov. 23, 2014, 3:25 p.m.

Pangor blowdown is gone.

Nov. 30, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

Anyone have more info on the new "academy climb" trail?

Nov. 30, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

Isn't the academy climb on fromme?

I'm also keen to know where this trail begins and ends.

Nov. 30, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

NSMBA was quite proud of their new Academy trail in multiple FB posts including asking people to ride, strava and talk about the trail. But I have yet to see anything about its location. I'm also quite keen to know where it starts and ends as I'm riding Seymour a whole lot more during the winter. I haven't taken the time to creep every NS rider's strava profile to figure it but it may come to that by the time I ride again on Wednesday…
I have emailed NSMBA for the details but if anyone feels like posting the trail, I'm sure there'd be quite a few appreciatve people.

In terms of AA, that's a totally different situation as its been kept fairly low key. The Academy Trail has been a fairly high profile project on the interwebs….

Nov. 30, 2014, 7:38 p.m.

the difference has always been between sanctioned (mapped) and unsanctioned trails.

not sure about ****, but if the new academy trail is sanctioned, which i assume it would be as it's an nsmba project, then it would be ok for posting directions.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 30, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

Sounds like a convenient policy Mark.

don't shoot the messenger, i didn't make the policy. that's just pretty much how it's always here on the boards. however, with sites like trail forks now it's all pretty much irrelevant.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 30, 2014, 8:52 p.m.

So privately funded trail construction on public land deserves clemency from the same rules you seem to impose upon trails built from the sweat equity of volunteers?

You'll have to explain your double standard to me.

Tell you what, I'll post a map of both trails-would that work for you?

Syncro has made the point that the Academy trail is sanctioned therefore posting directions should be acceptable. NSMBA has built the Academy trail and deemed it open. What's the problem with sharing the details?

I'm not 100% sure of the status of **** but i don't see the builders advertising its existence and to be honest, I don't care. I'm sure they have their reasons to keep it off the map (even though there is a Trailfork description).

Nov. 30, 2014, 9:06 p.m.

Trails for all Trails forever mmmmmmmkay……………..

Shed head!

Nov. 30, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

don't shoot the messenger, i didn't make the policy. that's just pretty much how it's always here on the boards. however, with sites like trail forks now it's all pretty much irrelevant.

Exploring is one of the best things about mtbing which is why sites like trail forks are shit, trails find you when youre ready.

diggin

Nov. 30, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

Woodro, you are clearly in the know about these things. So rather than be a dick about it, why don't you educate the Internet masses. If there are access issues with * and NSMBA has issues with this trail (and I'm extrapolating this from your previous post), please tell us. I, along many users on this board are NSMBA members and if we knew more about the status of * in the eyes of NSMBA, then perhaps there might not be as much perceived protection of "commercially built trails on public land". We might be more "outraged" at this injustice…if this is the case.
As for the Academy trail, I, along with others, are excited to ride this new climbing trail! If our "demanding" of the trail was too much to handle, let's try this…
"Hey, I saw a great post on FB about the new climbing trail on Seymour and that its now open to the public. Are there directions or a map for us to find the trail? I really appreciate all of the hard work and am happy to know that our membership dollars go towards great iniatives like this."

And to be clear, I REALLY DO appreciate all of the hard work done by NSMBA and the volunteers on the trails. :woot:

Nov. 30, 2014, 10:39 p.m.

Woodro, you are clearly in the know about these things. If there are access issues with * and NSMBA has issues with this trail (and I'm extrapolating this from your previous post), please tell us. I, along many users on this board are NSMBA members and if we knew more about the status of * in the eyes of NSMBA, then perhaps there might not be as much perceived protection of "commercially built trails on public land". We might be more "outraged" at this injustice…if this is the case.
As for the Academy trail, I, along with others, are excited to ride this new climbing trail! If our "demanding" of the trail was too much to handle, let's try this…
"Hey, I saw a great post on FB about the new climbing trail on Seymour and that its now open to the public. Are there directions or a map for us to find the trail? I really appreciate all of the hard work and am happy to know that our membership dollars go towards great iniatives like this."

And to be clear, I REALLY DO appreciate all of the hard work done by NSMBA and the volunteers on the trails. :woot:

Fixed…..

Nov. 30, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

Point is, you guys are 'demanding' (strong word?) or feel you are entitled to get directions to a new trail yet seem to collectively protect commercially built trails by private enterprise on public land(AA).
If the lightbulb isn't going off yet, I'm trying to make a point.
I am challenging your values here of this online community.

I haven't asked directions for trails and I don't differentiate between "secret" trails or sanctioned volunteer built trails. I'm pretty sure Crimp was just inquiring politely about directions. Maybe he should've PM'd you instead.

Please explain, how is it that the latter get's clemency while the other doesn't?

The latter shouldn't be any different than any other trail.

If you want me to post a map of the Academy Climb I will, but I will also post a map of ****. No double standards here.

Yes Fasia, Trails for All.

AA is easy to find, there's even a trail sign in the trees at the trailhead. So post away. Like Oz said, trails will find you once you're ready (or you know someone who will show you the goods) ;)

Shed head!

Nov. 30, 2014, 10:58 p.m.

According to the rules of this website, Woodro (or anyone else) is not allowed to give trail directions. I think I remember Woodro posting up about a new trail on Seymour just before I went out one night, and by the time I got back, it had been pulled. No great drama here…

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 30, 2014, 11:12 p.m.

Fair enough…I'll wait patiently for the map.

….and an apology to Woodro for the "dick" comment. Completely unwarranted…

…and to everyone else for filling up this thread with "drama":ohthedrama:

Nov. 30, 2014, 11:34 p.m.

You might be missing the point… (on a side note we will be posting the Academy Climb on a map and on Trailforks).

Point is, you guys are 'demanding' (strong word?) or feel you are entitled to get directions to a new trail yet seem to collectively protect commercially built trails by private enterprise on public land(AA).
If the lightbulb isn't going off yet, I'm trying to make a point.
I am challenging your values here of this online community.

Please explain, how is it that the latter get's clemency while the other doesn't?
Those who have no accountability get a higher standard of protection here according to 'the rules'. Why?

Syncro-be careful with the sanctioned/unsanctioned 'rule' because that rule places illegal trails on a pedestal above sanctioned trails - I hope that's not what you're trying to say here-is it?

If you want me to post a map of the Academy Climb I will, but I will also post a map of ****. No double standards here.

Yes Fasia, Trails for All.

tbh i didn't see anybody demanding or feeling entitled. all i saw was a couple of people asking about a trail and a resultant misunderstadning about when it was acceptable to post directions to a trail.

what i don't understand is why you're telling me to "be careful" with the sanctioned/unsanctioned rule? like i said before i just simply shared the information. if we had to go down that road though, let's pretend for a moment that i do put illegal trails on a pedestal above sanctioned trail. as i'm not a director or paid member of the nsmba why would my opinion in that area matter? we've both been riding long enough that we're well aware of the reasons as to why "secret trails" don't get talked about/posted on the internet. i know one thing for sure though, it's been a long time since i've ridden any unsanctioned trails, porbably far longer than the company in this thread.

at the end of the day this site is privately run, so if the owners want to set the standard of what trail directions get posted or not on their site then that's their preogative and neither you or i have much of a say in that.

Ellen Langer