Rip loamers demo forest

June 4, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

It would seem Parks people in the are busy decommissioning trails in the demo forest.
My favourite short little loamer trail that peels off the main road on the way back from circuit eight. Has been totally decommissioned sadly.
New plants all over the place and giant pieces of wood all over the trail.
That trail had been there a long time…

June 4, 2016, 10:18 a.m.

It is unfortunate.

The trail was there for a long time and enjoyed by many and probably would have continued had it not appeared so prominent on Strava. That's how most of these trails are found and shut down…

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

June 5, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

It is unfortunate.

The trail was there for a long time and enjoyed by many and probably would have continued had it not appeared so prominent on Strava. That's how most of these trails are found and shut down…

Thats why I have my rides always as private by default..

June 5, 2016, 9:42 p.m.

Doesn't matter if rides are private or not. Every ride contributes to the strava heat map.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

Ride, don't slide.

June 6, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

Doesn't matter if rides are private or not. Every ride contributes to the strava heat map.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

no, they actually don't. only public data is included in the heat map.

June 6, 2016, 8:15 a.m.

In addition to that, I believe there is an option that can remove your public rides from the heat map.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

June 6, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

In addition to that, I believe there is an option that can remove your public rides from the heat map.

Under Settings-[HTML_REMOVED]Privacy

June 8, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

So they say. I have a hard time believing a company would just sit on all that potential data without using it in some way.

I have the free app, and I always keep the saying in the back of my mind: "If you're not paying for the product, you are the product."

Ride, don't slide.

June 8, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

So they say. I have a hard time believing a company would just sit on all that potential data without using it in some way.

I have the free app, and I always keep the saying in the back of my mind: "If you're not paying for the product, you are the product."

I have lots of private rides, and that data is not on the heat map. Sure they 'have it', but it's not getting put on the public heat map.

June 8, 2016, 1:25 p.m.

I have lots of private rides, and that data is not on the heat map. Sure they 'have it', but it's not getting put on the public heat map.

Well then, there's a lot of ding-dongs out there who need their phone/garmin smacked out of their hands.

There's tons of illegal trails on the shore that glow bright blue on the heat map. If people think Metro/DNV/Parks folks don't look at this to find trails to decommission, they're wrong.

Ride, don't slide.

June 8, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

Common sense isn't very common in the biking community.

:canada:

June 8, 2016, 2:10 p.m.

Well then, there's a lot of ding-dongs out there who need their phone/garmin smacked out of their hands.

There's tons of illegal trails on the shore that glow bright blue on the heat map. If people think Metro/DNV/Parks folks don't look at this to find trails to decommission, they're wrong.

just because there isn't a segment, doesn't mean it doesn't show on the heatmap…it just means there are lots of people who don't know, or care, about the implications of not making rides private. and I don't think people don't think managers don't know, they're just entitled and don't care from what I can tell, or just really ignorant.

June 10, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

Related but unrelated:

How much of Seymour outside of the LSCR is Metro Vancouver managing? If you look at the GIS info provided by the District of North Van you can see that there are a number of trails outside of the LSCR that MV is actively managing / dictating what can and cannot be done to them.

For example, Dales Trail (specifically Lower Dales) is outside of the LSCR (CMHC land) yet MV decided that the rock face would be decommissioned among other things.

Another example is Mushroom. Only ~200m out of 1000m of that trail is in the LSCR yet they rebuilt the entire thing. For the most part, that work was welcome.

June 10, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

Strava turn it off and get a life.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

June 11, 2016, 12:12 p.m.

Related but unrelated:

How much of Seymour outside of the LSCR is Metro Vancouver managing? If you look at the GIS info provided by the District of North Van you can see that there are a number of trails outside of the LSCR that MV is actively managing / dictating what can and cannot be done to them.

For example, Dales Trail (specifically Lower Dales) is outside of the LSCR (CMHC land) yet MV decided that the rock face would be decommissioned among other things.

Another example is Mushroom. Only ~200m out of 1000m of that trail is in the LSCR yet they rebuilt the entire thing. For the most part, that work was welcome.

MV takes responsibility for trails that go into their land. The reason they machined Mushroom was to create better access to the road. Not sure why they didn't continue further.

It would be nice if they would have continued with the machine on Dales Connector. That trail is getting trashed. Also surprised its not getting fixed up for the BCBR.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram