Revelstoke 2012

July 29, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

28th July

Frisby Ridge

Slight muddy spots here and there in the upper half.
A few small snowbanks here and there in the subalpine and more into the alpine but no major hassle.
Totally rideable, tackiness is 9/10.
Watch the grease spots if descending at speed.
Bugs are a nightmare, being eaten alive even with copious spray.
Traction is immense.

Martha Creek

Awesome shape, you ride, now.
5000' descent after a bit of a traverse.
DH FR or AM (6") friendly
Some chewy greasy spots here and there on the first third of the descent. Some in the rougher steeper sections. Small bikes 5-6" might need to be a bit wary. DH bombers will rip that a new one. Bottom two thirds is mint.

Couple of trees down, one midway and one at the last quarter of the descent as you rip the hi speed twisty dense forest section. Both small, a small chainsaw will handle it. Even a large nasty toothed handsaw plus bodies could handle them with a bit of passion and commitment.
One bridge collapsed just before the 6km marker, luckily it's sitting on a rock so it's safe and walkable.
After the last road crossing, last third of the trail, before the hi speed forest pump section, the bush has grown in pretty bad.
Anyone planning to ride it, please take a small handsaw or cutting apparatus. It's only a few hundred yards of easy and quick hacking to pull back all that foilage. Very light work.
If you do, trail karma will be yours. You win!!!
We'll be planning to ride there in a few weeks, will take tools next time and if not cleared out, we'll deal with it.
Lesson learned: always take handsaw in pack.
Traction is phenomenal.
Get some.

Other notes:
Nomad/N2 burger at the Nomad is out of this world.
N2 is man sized.
And who doesn't like getting served by cute hippy chics?
Why you eat fast food, if Nomad is cheaper and 10x tastier than a fatboy McQueenWendy'sChicken drive through. Huh?

July 29, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

Just so you know - I have seen Martha ridden with no suspension, hard tails and x country bikes…

true…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 30, 2012, 9:31 a.m.

I rode Sale [HTML_REMOVED] Martha last year on a Blur with 7" rotors front and back, I was out of brakes by the time I was about 3/4 the way down.

I think it would be a lot more fun on a bike with more travel.

July 30, 2012, 11:03 a.m.

I rode Sale [HTML_REMOVED] Martha last year on a Blur with 7" rotors front and back, I was out of brakes by the time I was about 3/4 the way down.

I think it would be a lot more fun on a bike with more travel.

I concur.

A person could ride XC on a DH bike

Doesn't mean they have to….

July 30, 2012, 10:58 p.m.

How's the road at Martha these days? Car friendly?

Looking to hit it up at the end of our road trip in two weeks…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 31, 2012, 9:51 a.m.

Unless the road has improved a lot in the last year I wouldn't take a car up there that I cared about.

There are LOTS of baby head size rocks on the road so with a low clearance vehicle you have a chance of punching a hole in the oil pan or transmission.

July 31, 2012, 6:42 p.m.

Sale Mountain FSR at the upper elevation could rip holes in car tires. Even all-terrains are a bit sketchy.

FYI

July 31, 2012, 9:43 p.m.

Has anyone been up Keystone yet this year? Am hoping to get up there next week but am worried that there will be too much snow.

Thanks

July 31, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

And I was just saying today that pedalling up really isn't that much slower….

LOL! The first time I rode it, the other guys vehicle was an old Honda that he didn't think would survive a trip up there.

We rode down the top 1/2 till you get to the deactivated logging road, then rode back up to get my van. It is a good climb…

July 31, 2012, 11:12 p.m.

Anyone do shuttles in the area?

Hoping to check it out in Sptember.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 1, 2012, 8:22 p.m.

Has anyone been up Keystone yet this year? Am hoping to get up there next week but am worried that there will be too much snow.

Thanks

facebook friend posted some pics. Looks good to go!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151100422061928.481180.655701927[HTML_REMOVED]type=1

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 1, 2012, 9:31 p.m.

facebook friend posted some pics. Looks good to go!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151100422061928.481180.655701927[HTML_REMOVED]type=1

Gorgeous pics! Keystone is one of my all-time favourite trails.

Aug. 2, 2012, 6:36 a.m.

Anyone do shuttles in the area?

Hoping to check it out in Sptember.

Pat at Dirt Tours might get out that way, you'd have to drop him a line.

http://www.dirttours.com/

Aug. 12, 2012, 7:12 a.m.

MC: big dry old tree down just before the last major road crossing (not the very last small road crossing). vegetation and face slappers cut back at the drop in after last small road crossing

Aug. 19, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

My suggestion would be for riders to know how, have the tools and spare parts to change a flat.

Ran into a group the last time that was totally clueless on how to change a flat. They were trying to figure out how to change a tube with the rear wheel still on the bike…