Red Mission

May 4, 2008, 6:49 p.m.

Rode red, red rider, and the connector to the bottom. Very good shape, with the odd mucky spot, but lest than a bike length. There is one new big tree across the trail along side the clear cut just before you get back out on to the road at the end of the first trail. It is pretty big, easy enough to get over, and in a section that you should see it before its too late. I know we are supposed to be complient with other trail users, and share and play nice,but holy crap horses can do a lot of mess in a hurry. I am not trying to turn this into shit storm between bikers and equine( i moto as well, and realize that some groups can have more impact than others) but in an area where motorized vehicles are prohibited, on a mountian with a locked gate and no shuttle access, the horses can lay a beatin on single track. Hope there is as many of them helping maintain trails as there is bikers.

WTF, Over?

May 4, 2008, 7:26 p.m.

I saw a trailer pull up and let out 4 (5?) horses at Mill pond today. I assume they headed up Red.

what time were you out? we were on Bear from 8:00 to about 11:30

May 4, 2008, 7:46 p.m.

I got to red at 1:30. Same big blue truck and trailer i assume. That many horeses could shit kick the dh course on bear(which i have not done in for-EVER). They were acutally coming up some pretty gnarly rock creek beds when i saw/heard them. I guess the single track of Red is more appealing to the equine crowd, no jumps an gaps for them…i hope. How was Bear? I got to head up there soon with teh big bike.

WTF, Over?

May 4, 2008, 9:45 p.m.

Bear was great. We drove around to the backside and rode up to the tower, then up to Bigguns. Once bigguns hits the road, we crossed, and rode back down some random trail to the truck. Back over to the front side, up to the top and hit the DH trail.

Got some good GPS data; Bear's starting to make sense. I look forward to heading up and following some of the branches we came across.

Trails were in primo condition - couldn't be better.

backside doesn't need a big bike, it all XC-ish.

May 5, 2008, 7:31 a.m.

Horse groups do no work whatsoever in Mission. In fact the only multi use trails are the city built ones ie Bear and the small access trail on red that gets you past the rod and gun club. They are not supposed to be on any other trails, just the roads. Feel free to mention this to them. In fact the city workers wanted us to tell them such and forward the city contact info to them. We will probably end up building horse proof bridges to prevent access to certain non-horse trails.

Disclaimer. Anything written above this should not be taken literally, its called sarcasm you idiots.

May 5, 2008, 9:29 a.m.

Horse groups do no work whatsoever in Mission. In fact the only multi use trails are the city built ones ie Bear and the small access trail on red that gets you past the rod and gun club. They are not supposed to be on any other trails, just the roads. Feel free to mention this to them. In fact the city workers wanted us to tell them such and forward the city contact info to them. We will probably end up building horse proof bridges to prevent access to certain non-horse trails.

Thanks for arming me with the right iformation.I wont have a problem mentioning it to them next time, considering that they may or may not know. This is about the third time i have come accross horses up here. There is one woman who lives on the silverton side, i believe, who rides up there right from her house. She was on a rocky section though and not on the tender single track like this last group. There must be some history of riding horses up there though, but just like other user groups (mtn bikes included)not every one plays by the rules, and stuff gets poached. I know zero about riding horses, but i was amazed how steep and gnarly some of the places they had been.

WTF, Over?

May 5, 2008, 9:43 a.m.

Bear was great. We drove around to the backside and rode up to the tower, then up to Bigguns. Once bigguns hits the road, we crossed, and rode back down some random trail to the truck. Back over to the front side, up to the top and hit the DH trail.

Got some good GPS data; Bear's starting to make sense. I look forward to heading up and following some of the branches we came across.

Trails were in primo condition - couldn't be better.

backside doesn't need a big bike, it all XC-ish.

I am very lost on Bear. I need to do more xc type exploring and riding up there, other than just the DH course. i have seen a few trails that spit out onto the road that runs along side Bear but never been up to see where they start. I have heard good things about Biguns as well and have to check it out.

WTF, Over?

May 7, 2008, 12:17 p.m.

This information is strictly Ewan's opinion or a misinterpretation of a conversation he had with Mission BUT it is not backed by the District of Mission or the Mission Forestry Department. I have received several emails from them regarding Ewans post and here are some excerpts from them. Please respect ALL the user groups or we could jeopardize us being one of them. Myself, the FVMBA and Mission are working through the politics involved in trail building and accomodating the cities needs and ours. We are all aware of the impact (damage) caused by the different users groups but until everybody gets their own "private" area we must be tolerant.

From email #1
We have several multi-use trails [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; all trails on Bear and Red are to accommodate horses, hikers AND mt. bikes, with the exception of the Red Mt. loop trail at 1.2 km on the Red Mountain lower logging road. This trail is intended and signed for Hiking Only, due to the environmentally sensitive areas and old growth forests.

We also have multi-use trails of Campbell Street in Steelhead [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; which have been built to accommodate all users.

Any and all trails on Bear and Red, must be built and maintained to accommodate all three user groups. Therefore, nothing should be built to purposefully prevent access by one or more user groups.

From email #2
Also, I just wanted to add that we have two horse groups who do also do a lot of volunteer maintenance as well over the past several years [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; they haven[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t been recently active in the past 6 months, but they do contribute as well. Of course, they aren[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t using the mountains in the same numbers as mt. bikes [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; so it would be fair to say they do equal the work, but the ones that do come out, do help.

From email #3
Yes, we do understand that the hoofs impact into the trail surface at certain times of year, leaving large holes. But all users have an impact (as bike incising event on the upper slopes of the Bear Mt. downhill course). And hikers also avoiding mudholes etc [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; they tend to shortcut and make wider berths around mucky areas. As long as all users are respectful of each other, there is no point in pointing fingers at each group. We feel that no matter who you are [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; you make an impact on the environment, no matter how hard you try not to. We also hope that through education, that trail users avoid certain trails at certain times of year, particularly if they know the negative impact they area causing, but not everyone is as respectful as we hope.

Thank you for passing this on.

Kelly Cameron
Forest Technologist, R.F.T.

DISTRICT OF MISSION
33835 Dewdney Trunk Road (Box 20)
Mission, BC V2V 4L9

Greg
FVMBA Mission Area Rep

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek: