Pemberton 2016 Conditions

April 22, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

I had heard it was called PhD because in the amount of time it took to build the builder could have earned a PhD. Is this just an urban (rural) myth?

Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever.

April 22, 2016, 2:38 p.m.

That said, I hope updates come more frequently to both of these, so they are not out-competed by the free App's like TrailForks. I'd even pay for substantial annual updates, as I like the validity of a researched trail guide rather than user-driven.

I have not looked at the pemby app but I have looked at trail forks for a few areas I know and it has issues. trails often in the wrong place. popular trails missing all together. contentious trails highlighted for the masses. it might sort it self out as people start using it, but based on what I have seen it does not compete with a proper map and local knowledge.

a bit of a rant, but a typical conversation at local bikeshops are starting to go like this.

can you tell me what to ride?.

sure buy map and I will point out a route for you, all the proceeds go to the local trail association.

but we have trail forks.

inside voice ok then why do you need me.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

April 22, 2016, 3:44 p.m.

I have not looked at the pemby app but I have looked at trail forks for a few areas I know and it has issues. trails often in the wrong place. popular trails missing all together. contentious trails highlighted for the masses. it might sort it self out as people start using it, but based on what I have seen it does not compete with a proper map and local knowledge.

a bit of a rant, but a typical conversation at local bikeshops are starting to go like this.

can you tell me what to ride?.

sure buy map and I will point out a route for you, all the proceeds go to the local trail association.

but we have trail forks.

inside voice ok then why do you need me.

it's a user based system, so it's only as good as the data that users put in. I've spent the past couple weeks updating and editing the data in whistler as worca as admin oversight in our region…as do other clubs for their regions, it's relatively easy to prevent unwanted data from being visible on there. don't blame trailforks though, they're just a medium…if PORCA or PVTA really felt that upset about it you could even have them hide all of pemby's trails, but I bet you don't want that either, because frankly it's a good tool for letting people get stoked on riding in your region and see what's there, even if it isn't 100% accurate.

April 22, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

I don't care one way or the other. and my words do not represent either one of these organizations. I do understand how the data is created and the utility of apps like trail forks. I am not afraid to use it for trip planning nor am I afraid of a hard copy map. but mostly I am not afraid to go out and get lost and have a bad time when riding some place new, something lacking in the digitally entitled insta-age

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

April 22, 2016, 5:43 p.m.

In a lot of cases the local maps or apps you buy are not created by the local trail association but a private interest that might give a percentage of the proceeds to the local association. Even if they are produced by a volunteer of the association there is costs associated with their production. So buy them if you get value from them, but better to support the trails and their maintainers directly with a donation, for which they get 100% of the money and have no costs. Trailforks makes it easy to find who you should donate to when you ride a region or a trail and facilitates this transaction (while taking no cut) http://www.trailforks.com/karma/

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

April 22, 2016, 6:55 p.m.

I don't care one way or the other. and my words do not represent either one of these organizations. I do understand how the data is created and the utility of apps like trail forks. I am not afraid to use it for trip planning nor am I afraid of a hard copy map. but mostly I am not afraid to go out and get lost and have a bad time when riding some place new, something lacking in the digitally entitled insta-age

fair enough, I love online for pretrip planning, but have a stack of paper maps and guides from almost every town I've visited to ride..I've gotten lost, I prefer not to, generally, though!

April 22, 2016, 7:02 p.m.

In a lot of cases the local maps or apps you buy are not created by the local trail association but a private interest that might give a percentage of the proceeds to the local association. Even if they are produced by a volunteer of the association there is costs associated with their production. So buy them if you get value from them, but better to support the trails and their maintainers directly with a donation, for which they get 100% of the money and have no costs. Trailforks makes it easy to find who you should donate to when you ride a region or a trail and facilitates this transaction (while taking no cut) http://www.trailforks.com/karma/

I like and occasionally use Trailforks but there's been 52 dollars donated to date for this region. Last weekend, the parking lot was full when I left midday. Seems like selling some paper maps might still be a good idea.

April 23, 2016, 10:06 a.m.

Well this went sideways from current Pemberton trail conditions…

April 23, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

great out on NIMBY/ME/Rudy's/Overnight this aft, just enough rain this morning to make everything pretty tacky! All were running great

April 24, 2016, 5:43 p.m.

^ Yeah the good line!

April 25, 2016, 10:08 a.m.

Heads up if you are planning to ride Pemberton this Saturday, April 30th. There will be some enduroists to dodge. Here is the link to the course:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6d0yM8Kxxka7DUe7ofEhEFKyMFY79CUiUilW44n-dw/edit?usp=sharing
A good day to check out zones other than Mackenzie but still plenty of options out there. PM me if you would like some suggestions. Conditions are A+ right now.

April 25, 2016, 11:40 a.m.

Brian added the route of the ^Pemberton Enduro on April 30th
http://www.trailforks.com/route/permberton-enduro-2016/

April 25, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

Saturday went for a rip with the boy and Mrs. Parked at Waco parking and then climbing Nimby, Middle Earth up and then hit Rudy's, Overnight, Radio Tower, Moosjah. The Mrs. and the boy then did a short lap back over the spur road to Crosstown Traffic, while I rode up Happy and then straight up the Mackenzie FSR to fetch the truck.

Decided I had some juice so kept going thinking I'd hit a lap on Back Pains, but was gassed and didn't want to leave them too long, so just did Fifty and then straight to the truck.

Never done Rudy's or Moosejah. Both were fantastic, but Rudy's was incredible value for the time spent climbing and in really great shape. And Middle Earth is the best of the 3 climbing pieces. Will repeat.

April 25, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

Funny, that lap was exactly what I was going to suggest you hit up next.

May 10, 2016, 2:49 p.m.

anyone know of what condition jack the ripper is in now? hoping to ride it this weekend…