Pemberton 2016 Conditions

April 12, 2016, 12:37 p.m.

The road sucks! Let it go also kind of sucks. follow flips advise.
Happy/nimby/ME are so rad to climb that you almost forgot that you are climbing.
Cream puff is quite a way from the end of overnight, and a decent amount of climbing. Its not my favorite trail out there. Blood Sweat Fear is a great ender to overnight. If you want to climb over to mosquito, I would ride econoline, econodave, dark forest, crosstown traffic. It feels like you descend forever and its very varied with some slabs, jumps, natural doubles etc. Or Meatgrinder. That is fun too.
With BSF as the ender i would think about 2 hours maybe 2.5 solo. add another 30 minutes for mosquito trails.

April 12, 2016, 11:26 p.m.

Last summer we took the climb trail for the first half then took the fsr road the rest up to overnight sensation and would not do it again. The road is steep and brutal in the heat. Stay on the single track in the trees! As an aside, didn't dig OS that much, or maybe it was just because the wife had such a hard time with it. Mostly dusty fall line chutes it seemed. Loved cream puff though, so many great rock faces!

April 13, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

dusty chutes has been pemby style for ever! pretty much all those chutes actually have go arounds to the lefts

April 18, 2016, 10:05 p.m.

Do people ride the highest section of phd? I believe it's called masters on trailforks. Bikepirate suggests it is rather hard :)

April 20, 2016, 9:07 a.m.

Do people ride the highest section of phd? I believe it's called masters on trailforks. Bikepirate suggests it is rather hard :)

It's there and people still ride it. It's a good one and you can pedal up the extended road now to it. You can see the one slab at the end coming up the road, that is what you are to expect for the majority of the highest trail.

The middle section is pretty rutted and blown out right now, however the bottom section is riding real nice.

April 21, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

Yep it's still ridden. Never heard it called Masters though, but trails seem to gain strange names on these Internet trail sites from time to time!

After riding that part, the rest of the trail seems like a breeze. It's not that bad, but definitely not for beginner/intermediate riders.

April 21, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

Yep it's still ridden. Never heard it called Masters though, but trails seem to gain strange names on these Internet trail sites from time to time!

After riding that part, the rest of the trail seems like a breeze. It's not that bad, but definitely not for beginner/intermediate riders.

the story I've heard is that PHD is actually the builders initials, but that the 3 sections were "Masters", "PHD", "Undergrad"…but, that's just hearsay and whatnot!

April 21, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

I was under the impression it was builders initials as well. Plus wouldn't phd be higher lever than masters (?) Not a university guy so I'm not totally sure I'm right there!

April 21, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

I was under the impression it was builders initials as well. Plus wouldn't phd be higher lever than masters (?) Not a university guy so I'm not totally sure I'm right there!

yeah I don't know, I didn't build the trail so not sure if the sections are even named that or if that's just what people have assumed! oh the lore of trail names!

April 21, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

Paul Higgins Downhill is my understanding of how the name came to be, the other initials naturally followed.

I thought the trail above PHD was going to be called Post Doc, but don't quote me on that..

We've always called the line PHD/MS/BS ( PHD/Masters/Bachelors) so the trail above would naturally be Post Doc.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

April 21, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

We've now done a couple loops on the One Mile Lake area using the advice from the previous posters. Much fun to be had, and what's nice is that if you really like one segment, or want to dial it in, there seems to typically be a neighbouring climbing trail nearby for quick re-lapping. The other day with the kids, we climbed up to Pioneer/Fizzy/Dog as per recommendation, and wound up triple lapping Fizzy and double lapping Dog Beach do the ease of doing so.

can't say enough about the Pemby Trail app and the accuracy of the GPS locator to expedite things and make route finding a breeze. And the ability to install one purchase on multiple phones (same with the Whistler App).

That said, I hope updates come more frequently to both of these, so they are not out-competed by the free App's like TrailForks. I'd even pay for substantial annual updates, as I like the validity of a researched trail guide rather than user-driven.

April 21, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

Paul Higgins Downhill is my .

Wrong last name, Pete would know.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

April 22, 2016, 10:06 a.m.

PhD is a great trail! We've ridden it for years and only seen people on it a couple times. I'm confused however, why can we talk openly about this mapped trail but as soon as someone mentions a shore trail poop hits fan? Vis a vie the Shore Climbing thread. Bit of a double standard? Please set me straight minions of the NSMB.

April 22, 2016, 10:07 a.m.

PhD is a great trail! We've ridden it for years and only seen people on it a couple times. I'm confused however, why can we talk openly about this mapped trail but as soon as someone mentions a shore trail poop hits fan? Vis a vie the Shore Climbing thread. Bit of a double standard? Please set me straight minions of the NSMB.

because [HTML_REMOVED]SHORE DRAMA[HTML_REMOVED]

April 22, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

There are lots of unsanctioned trails on the Shore that the land managers might or might not know about. These trails were build without permission and the long standing accepted practice has been not to mention them online in order to not draw attention to them.

Use Trailforks for your barometer. If you see a trail posted on Trailforks feel free to post to your hearts content. If the trail does not show on Trailforks then it's' best if not mentioned online.

Trails on the Shore do draw more drama due to the local politics with land managers.