Pemberton (2012)

May 3, 2012, 11:06 a.m.

so are newbs riding back down nimby/happy cutting switchbacks? pretty lame regardless!

May 3, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

so are newbs riding back down nimby/happy cutting switchbacks? pretty lame regardless!

I can't imagine that Nimby would be even remotely enjoyable to ride down.

May 3, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

I was curious whether it is a 2-way trail wen I rode it (up) on the weekend. There appeared to be skid marks at many hairpins. So, either people riding down or super-fit people needing to skid on the way up. A few sections, particularly where there are some roots across the trail, looked to be widened/braided. The roots were super-slippery about 2/3 of the way up (although by that stage every hairpin seemed super-tight and steeper sections super-steep, so it is possible that they were just regular-slippery roots).

Cheers Ben

May 3, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

I was curious whether it is a 2-way trail wen I rode it (up) on the weekend. There appeared to be skid marks at many hairpins. So, either people riding down or super-fit people needing to skid on the way up. A few sections, particularly where there are some roots across the trail, looked to be widened/braided. The roots were super-slippery about 2/3 of the way up (although by that stage every hairpin seemed super-tight and steeper sections super-steep, so it is possible that they were just regular-slippery roots).

Cheers Ben

there really isn't an easy descent off the top of nimby, so I wouldn't be surprised if people turn back around and come down it….

May 3, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

If I had to choose between going back down Nimby or the fireroad, I'd be into those switchbacks in a jiffy.

Cheers Ben

May 3, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

That's fine go back down but respect the trail, that's all.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 3, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

One other explanation for the switchback cuts…

Dogs!

I know we all love dogs. But man's best friend figures out pretty quickly that there are hundreds of switchbacks, and a simple cut through the woods saves time. My dog is super guilty of doing this on the nimby climb. Instead of following me to the end of a switchback he cuts through the woods.

Unfortunately, I think that people mistake the dog lines for the "new" super fast descent flowy lines. That is not acceptable, and I am not sure why someone would ever think following a braid on a trail like the nimby is acceptable.

The Nimby Climb still seems to be in great shape, and I have not really noticed any big damage - however last ride up there was two weeks ago.

My dog does make amends by trail building with me in the fall. Guess that is how he deals with his karma.

May 4, 2012, 1:42 p.m.

The PVTA has flagged almost 40 spots on NIMBY that will be improved by Foon Trail Works over the next three weeks. All the rooty bits should be properly benched by then.

I've seen the dog shortcuts as well, and I suspect some of the NIMBY racers are running up the switchbacks - you can cut a lot of time off! I'm thinking of hiding a motion-activated wildlife cam or two before the race and shaming anyone we catch…

May 4, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

Oh yeah, and Stimulus has had the blowdown cut out. Some water damage from the winter, though. Road is clear to the paraglide launch, but it took a beating over the winter too.

May 4, 2012, 1:53 p.m.

The PVTA has flagged almost 40 spots on NIMBY that will be improved by Foon Trail Works over the next three weeks. All the rooty bits should be properly benched by then.

I've seen the dog shortcuts as well, and I suspect some of the NIMBY racers are running up the switchbacks - you can cut a lot of time off! I'm thinking of hiding a motion-activated wildlife cam or two before the race and shaming anyone we catch…

Thanks for the tip! Athough it's against my philosophies to combine "run" and "uphill".

Buffing those couple of sections will be icing on the cake - I reckon about 95% of the climb is tip-top. If I look past the hernia, heart attack and blurred vision it is a really enjoyable climb!

Cheers Ben

May 7, 2012, 2:38 p.m.

Has anyone on here ventured up the Rutherford to PHD yet this year?

May 7, 2012, 2:41 p.m.

Has anyone on here ventured up the Rutherford to PHD yet this year?

rumor is good to go

May 7, 2012, 2:42 p.m.

One other explanation for the switchback cuts…

Dogs!

I know we all love dogs. But man's best friend figures out pretty quickly that there are hundreds of switchbacks, and a simple cut through the woods saves time. My dog is super guilty of doing this on the nimby climb. Instead of following me to the end of a switchback he cuts through the woods.

Unfortunately, I think that people mistake the dog lines for the "new" super fast descent flowy lines. That is not acceptable, and I am not sure why someone would ever think following a braid on a trail like the nimby is acceptable.

The Nimby Climb still seems to be in great shape, and I have not really noticed any big damage - however last ride up there was two weeks ago.

My dog does make amends by trail building with me in the fall. Guess that is how he deals with his karma.

made sure to notice this as I climbed it yesterday, think it's definitely dogs….they're obvious, but not rider skidding off trail obvious…

May 9, 2012, 11:07 a.m.

Anyone been up to Upper Mackenzie?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 9, 2012, 12:25 p.m.

Anyone been up to Upper Mackenzie?

Yep, rode that weekend before last. Don't remember any significant issues at all.