Pemberton 2011

Sept. 29, 2011, 7:10 p.m.

I heard that Chain Link was not really double black material although it is rated as such. Has anyone ridden it that can make a comment on it? Could this be a case of don't believe the hype? So bummed by this news. Would appreciate any feed back,cheers.

Sept. 30, 2011, 8:48 a.m.

The Chain Lakes traverse is intermediate level rolling fun. But once it turns downhill at the Trapper's descent…. well…. it's definitely double black in most spots. Very steep sustained fall line sections, the bench cut in places is super narrow with a super soft shoulder and lots of exposure. Switch backs are tight and techy with little room for error. Big mountain riding for sure, be prepared.

We rode up from the bottom of Owl Creek FSR (not fun!!) and it took us 5 hours to finish the loop back to the car. Definitely recommend setting up a shuttle as the road up is 10k of pretty hard climbing and will sap you for the trail.

Oct. 1, 2011, 7:21 p.m.

Rode jack the ripper today, after climbing up happy/nimby/middle earth. Epic. Conditions were a bit wet dirt and rock was good, dirt on rock was ok…. Traction

I don't think we' ll do chain lakes tomorrow, probably something more mellow like three laps in Squamish off mashiter.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 3, 2011, 8:07 a.m.

Watch for downed trees in the top half of Mackenzie and Stimulus. Looks like there was some good wind last week.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Oct. 4, 2011, 11:59 a.m.

Can anyone report on the conditions of the Mackenzie and Owl Creek FSRs? Could they be shuttled with a small SUV (AWD Nissan X-Trail, Subaru Forester?).
I did the Mackenzie last summer and had to unload all the passengers at the waterbars as ground clearance was marginal (or more accurately the approach and departure angles were too steep). Aiming to go as high as the cell phone tower this time but worried that the FSR may now be in worse condition…
(Or, if Owl Creek is easier, I'll use that instead…)

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

Can anyone report on the conditions of the Mackenzie and Owl Creek FSRs? Could they be shuttled with a small SUV (AWD Nissan X-Trail, Subaru Forester?).
I did the Mackenzie last summer and had to unload all the passengers at the waterbars as ground clearance was marginal (or more accurately the approach and departure angles were too steep). Aiming to go as high as the cell phone tower this time but worried that the FSR may now be in worse condition…
(Or, if Owl Creek is easier, I'll use that instead…)

we drove up to the paraglide launch in my suzuki vitara, 5 peeps and bikes, but it has decent clearance. the road is pretty rough right now too and there are one or two deeper waterbars, would be close with a forester…

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

The Chain Lakes traverse is intermediate level rolling fun. But once it turns downhill at the Trapper's descent…. well…. it's definitely double black in most spots. Very steep sustained fall line sections, the bench cut in places is super narrow with a super soft shoulder and lots of exposure. Switch backs are tight and techy with little room for error. Big mountain riding for sure, be prepared.

We rode up from the bottom of Owl Creek FSR (not fun!!) and it took us 5 hours to finish the loop back to the car. Definitely recommend setting up a shuttle as the road up is 10k of pretty hard climbing and will sap you for the trail.

Is the 'Trapper's descent' marked as 'Chain Link' on the PVTA map?

http://pembertontrails.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/PVTA-Tenq_Map_Web.pdf

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:20 p.m.

Is the 'Trapper's descent' marked as 'Chain Link' on the PVTA map?

http://pembertontrails.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/PVTA-Tenq_Map_Web.pdf

pretty sure that's a yes, as there's an old trappers cabin at the east end of the lakes…
http://pembertontrails.com/2011/09/skelula7-chain-link-connection-2/

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:31 p.m.

we drove up to the paraglide launch in my suzuki vitara, 5 peeps and bikes, but it has decent clearance. the road is pretty rough right now too and there are one or two deeper waterbars, would be close with a forester…

Hmmm. Thanks Flip

Any Pemby locals with a pickup willing to shuttle a group up to do JTR? PM me to discuss compensation/beer/gas requirements! Considering doing this on Sunday Oct 9th…:-)

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

Hmmm. Thanks Flip

Any Pemby locals with a pickup willing to shuttle a group up to do JTR? PM me to discuss compensation/beer/gas requirements! Considering doing this on Sunday Oct 9th…:-)

FYI, they aren't joking about double black….

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:57 p.m.

Anymore difficult than Stimulus? (Also a double black…)

Oct. 4, 2011, 12:58 p.m.

Anymore difficult than Stimulus? (Also a double black…)

If Chain Link is anything like JtR, then it's much harder than Stimulus.

Oct. 4, 2011, 1:11 p.m.

If Chain Link is anything like JtR, then it's much harder than Stimulus.

Ok, you've confused me with that statement. We're looking to do JTR not Chain Link this weekend. :D

Oct. 4, 2011, 1:29 p.m.

JTR is way harder than stimulus

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:24 p.m.

I'm really glad you guys thought so too, been a while since a trail has handed me my ass like that, some impressive bruises. Want to hit it again in drier conditions and maybe skip the full climb to save some energy.