North Shore relics

Aug. 6, 2021, 9:28 p.m.

Anyone else interested in the heritage of mountain biking on the Shore?

I've been doing some exploring over the last few months.

I found these today. I think I know which trail this is but I know some people are sensitive about "secret" trail names so I won't mention it by name but if anyone can PM, I'd like confirmation of the trail. 

If I'm correct, it's named after the (three) main builders 😉

(BTW, none of the TTFs in this zone are rideable!)

Aug. 6, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

send it brah

Aug. 6, 2021, 9:47 p.m.

It’s a shame GMG got taken back by the forest. Not really a secret trail, it was on maps for a long time.  There’s enough cedar in that zone to rebuild it if someone wanted to take it on. I think what killed it was the difficulty and the climb, not enough riders willing to go up there to ride it.

Aug. 6, 2021, 9:55 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

It’s a shame GMG got taken back by the forest. Not really a secret trail, it was on maps for a long time.  There’s enough cedar in that zone to rebuild it if someone wanted to take it on. I think what killed it was the difficulty and the climb, not enough riders willing to go up there to ride it.

Cheers! That confirms what I thought it was...

I was reading some old threads about GMG and stories of a homeless persons encampment and various "encounters". Anyway, there was no sign of any sketchy characters that I could see 😃

Aug. 6, 2021, 10:34 p.m.

Toe clips are a fad that never should have stopped

Aug. 7, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I would think with so many people I read on here complaining about not enough tech trails etc this would be a great option! Just a tiny bit further than 7th, I would think there could be some decent interest if a builder took it on.

Aug. 7, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

It's such a cool trail! We did a trail run down it and loved seeing all the relics. I'm pretty sure there was a skinny that ended with a significant drop and a tree right in front of it!

Aug. 7, 2021, 9:34 a.m.

Posted by: meloroast

I'm pretty sure there was a skinny that ended with a significant drop and a tree right in front of it!

Yep, that's the first photo above. I presume you are supposed to hop left off the end of it as there's a wooden ladder bridge/ramp below it (second photo)

Aug. 7, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: meloroast

I would think with so many people I read on here complaining about not enough tech trails etc this would be a great option! Just a tiny bit further than 7th, I would think there could be some decent interest if a builder took it on.

I would absolutely love to do it, but there's no way I could devote enough hours unless it was some sort of paid gig. I'd work for cheap though, just for the opportunity.

Aug. 7, 2021, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

I was reading some old threads about GMG and stories of a homeless persons encampment and various "encounters". 

Weird place for homeless people to live. Would be quite the hassle to go get necessities like food from all the way up there. 

I've never been up there but I know where the route is in general. Would be cool if they could build a rideable (easier) trail that follows a similar route.

Aug. 7, 2021, 5:57 p.m.

GMG was cool but it was very stunt specific. And wood gets slimy over time. And maintaining a trail like this is very labour intensive. Getting there was not the issue. It seems to me that the trail was built more for the stunt's sake than the trails'. I hate to use boredom but at the time progression was everything.

I am going to turn the tables on you a bit.....

I would like a pic of the teeter on A Walk In The Clouds. A pic of the exit stump roll over with ramp on the stump would suffice. The entrance ladder with drop will do as well...

The actual entrance of the Dump Trail and exit of the Dump Trail.....I looked into trying to resurrect this years ago and found the forest has completely won. Sad as it was a fun trail and was worth the work to get to it. I think the time is now more than ever to have it resurrected and restored.

Photo of the Tower of Contemplation. This one should be easy.

The original Discombobulator. I realize there might not be much left.

Large ladder roll/drop on Flying Circus. Had a locked gate. I have personally seen this dropped on a hardtail.

Remnants of Whatchamacalit. This is the trail that got us on the map with the powers that be and nearly cost us it all.

Swollen Uvula.....any ideas????

Groovula...entry drop.

PS:  I am fully aware of all of these features and more.  Sending pics of Jerry Rig aren't going to cut it.

Last edited by: Polymath on Aug. 7, 2021, 5:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 7, 2021, 10:13 p.m.

@blackfly

Knock yourself out...

https://thetrail.net/trailHTML/staticHTML/mtFromme/index.html

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Aug. 7, 2021, 10:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 8, 2021, 11:01 a.m.

Wow I cannot wait to dive in to that site later.

Aug. 9, 2021, 10:17 a.m.

lots of vintage gems on that site! ooh, the janky air supply contraption:

and the pivoting teeter:

i tried to find the original gmg line a while back, but somehow missed a turn & ended up on some other fall line trail that saw a fair amount of dirt work at some point (berms, etc). was eroded to shit (ie, not worth seeking out), but curious what the story was.

Aug. 9, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

lots of vintage gems on that site! ooh, the janky air supply contraption:

and the pivoting teeter:

i tried to find the original gmg line a while back, but somehow missed a turn & ended up on some other fall line trail that saw a fair amount of dirt work at some point (berms, etc). was eroded to shit (ie, not worth seeking out), but curious what the story was.

Can anyone confirm whether GMG had stunts right at the start of the trail?

I hiked up to very top (I think) but I didn't see any 'stunts' above the skidder, which (I think) starts around the 5th switchback and wraps around the mountain around 580m ASL. All the stunts I saw where below the skidder (meaning if you wanted to ride the stunts, you could probably access them from the 5th switchback)

Either that, or I somehow got onto a different trail which, as xy9ine points out, is an eroded mess (though there was what looked like one recent bridge (and a proper bridge, not a stunt)

stump

NSMBA