Nicola Valley & Iron Mtn 2012

June 12, 2012, 8:36 a.m.

Snow is pretty much clear. Blowdown is clear except for heroic, hornet, and king slayer. Rotary should be done and "open" in the next couple weeks. Trails are tacky. Get it now before it dries out and gets dusty.

Chris

June 14, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

Everything is so nice right now.. Gimme a shout if you wanna dig n stuff!

June 20, 2012, 4:06 a.m.

The old timers in the Nicola Valley say not to plant your gardens untill all the Snow is gone from the local Iron Mountain.

I am a consultant, author, digital storyteller, educator and change agent. Maybe I will write a memoir, perhaps I'll do some essays.

June 27, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

Snow is pretty much clear. Blowdown is clear except for heroic, hornet, and king slayer. Rotary should be done and "open" in the next couple weeks. Trails are tacky. Get it now before it dries out and gets dusty.

Chris

Excellent news. Will give 98/99 a run this weekend. Are they still the go to trails?

June 28, 2012, 7:24 a.m.

Yah, 98 and 99 are still good. Off 99 you can access treats and off of 98 you can get onto Chrispys. I still haven't got the blowdown off off any trails on the south tower (hornet etc). Watch for new blowdown tho on all trails. There was a new one on down on mid treats and 2 down @ the very bottom of godey yesterday. I re-built an old bridge on treats yesterday that was in disrepair. Treats was a little wet on the steep rooty techy sections after all the rain we got last weekend but fun nonetheless.

Chris

June 28, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

Awesome. Thank you for all your work. The last time I rode Hornet was about 6 or 7 years ago. It was steep and epic. Great to hear that it lives again.

June 28, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

Excellent news. Will give 98/99 a run this weekend. Are they still the go to trails?

I'll give you a life saving tip.

If you ride 99, at one point about 1/2 way down the mtn, you will come to a definite 'Y' in the trail. Right appears to head down into a gully..it does! and left takes you up on to a ridge.

Do yourself a favor and go left, right leads to the tyrant, it gets a bit off the wall in places.

transition bikes

June 29, 2012, 7:58 a.m.

Do NOT ride the hornet yet. There are literally dozens of trees down still. We have to do substantial blowdown removal EVERY year!! I'll get er all cleaned up soon tho. Mid Hornet has some of the best fall-line riding on the mtn.

July 13, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

The top of Heroic is clear, pretty sure we got everything up untill a little bit before the powerline. Unsure about farther down. The grass is pretty thick, and in that grass lives billions of mosquitos.

Deet or dieā€¦

July 18, 2012, 8:36 a.m.

Cool! Thanks Mattias. I have been out of town for the last week and now I'm nursing a really dumb injury. Hopefully good to go by after this weekend. I might head into the beast that is the hornet and start cleaning it up next week. Then we (the mmba) are going to start mandatory re-builds as per our agreement with forestry. No new builds until the existing trails are brought up to "standard". I will post on here once we get the ball rolling to organize a work party. Come one, come all! For those that love Iron, this is your chance to give back!

Chris

July 21, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

Cool! Thanks Mattias. I have been out of town for the last week and now I'm nursing a really dumb injury. Hopefully good to go by after this weekend. I might head into the beast that is the hornet and start cleaning it up next week. Then we (the mmba) are going to start mandatory re-builds as per our agreement with forestry. No new builds until the existing trails are brought up to "standard". I will post on here once we get the ball rolling to organize a work party. Come one, come all! For those that love Iron, this is your chance to give back!

Chris

Hey IMH. Could you please give us Iron Mtn followers an overview of what is happening with the mt, mmba and forestry. Would love to have a clearer picture of what is going to happen.
Thanks

July 22, 2012, 11:11 a.m.

Come one, come all! For those that love Iron, this is your chance to give back!

heck yes.

Cafe blog-www.bicyclecafe.blogspot.com !!!
Cafe site-www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops !!!

July 29, 2012, 7:03 a.m.

Hey IMH. Could you please give us Iron Mtn followers an overview of what is happening with the mt, mmba and forestry. Would love to have a clearer picture of what is going to happen.
Thanks

The local bike association has an agreement with the Ministry of Forests to afford us some protection from industry etc on Iron. The agreement also gives us additional liability insurance. All this being said, the MOF wants to see the trails on Iron brought up to the "Whistler Standard". They can't in good conscience promote the area when they know there are dilapidated structures etc. Lots of the original trails were built well before there was a universal standard, but we are now being challenged to fix/upgrade/update the stuff that has become degredated beyond safe use. I have no problem with this as the MOF has agreed to supply us with materials, support etc to achieve this. We are going to start with an evaluation of all trails to decide which sections of trail/ structures need to be fixed first. Beyond this, I cleared the blowdown off of King Slayer and upper Heroic Doses the other day. The following day I blasted my moto up from the btm of Heroic as far as I could and proceeded to clear blowdown on the btm section until a big ol cow moose stood me down. (She wouldn't let me pass!) So now Heroic Doses is clear to the top of the Lost Boys section from the top and the btm is clear. Not sure what is in the middle. I'll get er done this week.

Chris

July 31, 2012, 5:03 p.m.

^ Heroic Doses is clear

Aug. 1, 2012, 8:08 p.m.

Never ridden Merritt before and am wondering where I can pick up a map of the trails. Might be up there next week!

Thanks