Nanaimo /Cumberland (2012)

April 2, 2012, 12:02 p.m.

Heading to Vancouver Island for the Easter weekend and wondered if anyone could tell me how the snow levels are over there.

Mt Zoo, Mt Poo, Maple Mountain and Cumberland?

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

April 2, 2012, 12:05 p.m.

Recent snowfall (last weekend) would likely mean the upper cumberland trails are under some snow. Lower elevation stuff is clear.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 2, 2012, 12:07 p.m.

Good to know!

What about Snowdon Demo Forest? We had such a blast on those trails last year, though we made the mistake of thinking it was going to be an 'easy' day so left it till the end of our trip… we will not make that mistake twice!

April 2, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

Teapot is the highest trail open and it has some snow on the climb up. Should melt by next weekend.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 2, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

Rode poo yesterday. There was fresh snow Sunday morning. Looking at the forcast I would say it is going to be fine by the weekend. There is a new (first legal trail in Nanaimo) that is going to be easy and fun for all skill levels.

Are you riding Friday?

April 2, 2012, 1:15 p.m.

Good to know!

What about Snowdon Demo Forest? We had such a blast on those trails last year, though we made the mistake of thinking it was going to be an 'easy' day so left it till the end of our trip… we will not make that mistake twice!

Snowden is snow free, but we are still working on clearing the trails of blowdown after the March 12th hurricane. There is a list of cleared trails on our website, which needs to be updated. PM me before you come up and I can suggest a good loop that is in good condition.

April 2, 2012, 1:31 p.m.

Rode poo yesterday. There was fresh snow Sunday morning. Looking at the forcast I would say it is going to be fine by the weekend. There is a new (first legal trail in Nanaimo) that is going to be easy and fun for all skill levels.

Are you riding Friday?

Oh? new legal trail?

We are riding Friday, Mt Zoo in the morning then heading up to Cumberland and will probably get an afternoon lap in there after we have settled in to the Riding Fool :)

April 2, 2012, 1:32 p.m.

Snowden is snow free, but we are still working on clearing the trails of blowdown after the March 12th hurricane. There is a list of cleared trails on our website, which needs to be updated. PM me before you come up and I can suggest a good loop that is in good condition.

Ah… good to know!

Will send you a PM once we are on the Island, but at this stage it looks like we will probably head to Snowdon for a Saturday ride. You are welcome to join us.

April 2, 2012, 2:27 p.m.

Apparently Forbidden is clear from the star of Rudy's down. Lots of fun riding out there too.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 2, 2012, 2:32 p.m.

Ah… good to know!

Will send you a PM once we are on the Island, but at this stage it looks like we will probably head to Snowdon for a Saturday ride. You are welcome to join us.

Thanks, but it's a long weekend. I'm going to ride the SSC.

April 10, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

Thank you everyone for all the information!

Riding Vancouver Island really is amazing! So needless to say after 5 days of riding there were 8 very very happy but very tired peeps!

April 10, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

You sure picked the right weekend weather wise!

April 29, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

A group of us are headed up to Snowden for the May long weekend. We keep hearing how great the trails are there. We are looking for a decent spot (with the best access to the trails) to camp. I have a copy of the map for the area and it shows a number of lakes that the trails wind around. We are looking to ride for a day, come back to camp. Maybe fish and have some beers.
Then do it all again the next day

April 30, 2012, 12:35 a.m.

Loveland Bay maybe? Check the BC Recreation and Trails sites. There are many forestry campsites in the region.

April 30, 2012, 7:36 a.m.

A group of us are headed up to Snowden for the May long weekend. We keep hearing how great the trails are there. We are looking for a decent spot (with the best access to the trails) to camp. I have a copy of the map for the area and it shows a number of lakes that the trails wind around. We are looking to ride for a day, come back to camp. Maybe fish and have some beers.
Then do it all again the next day

If you want to be a bit out of town, get reservations at Loveland Bay Provincial Park. If you want to stay at a nice campground walking distance to the beer and wine/restaurants, stay at Elk Falls Provincial Park. Both are nice campgrounds and allow quick access to the trails, Elk Falls has showers and facilities, Loveland Bay has no showers, but a lake to swim in, which will be cold in May.

PM me closer to May long and I can set you up with a local to give you a tour if you want or can suggest a good loop depending on how far you want to ride and the groups abilities.