Merritt Trails - 2013

March 6, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

I'm looking at maybe going to Merritt over the Easter weekend to get a taste of the trails there. Typically it's not as snowed in and drier in that valley, so I'm guessing the trails are in good shape. Any news would be great.

Thanks.

Jon-boy.

March 6, 2013, 10:03 a.m.

Depends what you want to ride. Obviously the big vert stuff(iron mtn) is snowed in until may. There is a few xc-ish type rides that might be rippable up behind the bench. (South exposure). There are a bunch of moto hill climbs that drop off that all mtn trail (scenic) if bombing rutted moto climbs is your deal. The burn miiiight be do-able by then… Its all clay, so if its wet, its really greasy/sticky. Maybe some of the info trails if you're into snow riding. I haven't been home since mid feb (I'm away working) but usually we get into it mid april-ish.

Chris

March 6, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

Also, lower swakum might be rideable by then… Jumps, gaps, steeps, etc. There is a dh rip (epic proportions) behind the bench as well but the shuttle road is shaded and holds snow late. You can ride the scenic trail behind bench and find dozens of options down, most of them dirtbike trails etc.

Chris

March 7, 2013, 9:42 a.m.

Thanks, sounds like I may need to wait a little as I was looking more XC/all mountain. Will plan for later in the spring.

Jon-boy.

May 21, 2013, 6:53 a.m.

Iron shuttle road cleared of blowdown and snow as of Friday. Some snow and LOTS of blowdown on almost all trails. Coutlee plateau trails mint. Info trails mint. Swakum/Bench trails mint. Iron trails should be good to go by June-ish.

May 24, 2013, 11:25 p.m.

any last minute updates or beta? we're headed up tomorrow morning. what's a good place to get info on trails and conditions in town?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 25, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

any last minute updates or beta? we're headed up tomorrow morning. what's a good place to get info on trails and conditions in town?

98 is relatively tree free, some snow patches still with river trail. 98 -[HTML_REMOVED] Crispies connection -[HTML_REMOVED] 99 is good but blowdown on treats I'll hopefully clear tomorrow. 3 shot, berms, godeys are fantastic.

Not sure if we saw your white pickup up top earlier. If you see this toss a PM, or maybe we will cross paths and do some shredding. Might be a few outdated MMBA maps kicking around at the info center or nicola valley outdoors too. Merritt mountain biking facebook group is probably the best place for current events in the dh scene haha..

Edit: Treats is now cleared from Elephant Head to the bottom, Got one tree on the dungeon but no report on anything else.

May 27, 2013, 12:08 a.m.

thanks koss. didn't see this until we were on our way out of town, wasn't us in the white truck

we ran into some locals at the info centre who gave us some tips, and bought a copy of the 2004 map. godey was a real treat, and as you say in fantastic condition. enjoyed the descents (ursa major, ridge trail) to the info centre, too

today we went for an epix xc romp below sugarloaf mtn. honestly can't remember the last time i rode such pure, old school xc: actually riding single track across the countryside. lots of wildflowers, getting lost and humping bikes over fallen pine trees (beginning of wounded knee needs some serious chainsaw love): good fun

given the lack of online info or even a bike shop (as far as i can tell), merritt might not be a great destination for "gotta plan every detail of our trip before we arrive" types, but it was actually pretty refreshing to explore the area relying on little more than word of mouth and an out-of-date map. we rode an incredible variety of trails and had a great time

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave