Merritt Conditions 2014

April 6, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

Thanks for the offer. I am sure I will be passing through in the next month or so again.

April 7, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

Had a great time riding up there. Thanks to Kossind and his friends for showing us around. Only a few trails open at this time but well worth the drive to loosen up the DH muscles and learn how to ride dust again.

A few pics:

Local rider Kyle

Myself

My better half

April 7, 2014, 4:14 p.m.

Sweet, I rode there today from the info center up 2 much info. Not sure where the end of it is but I turned down the ridge trail and back to the truck for just over an hour ride. Will be back in the next month or two.

Can't wait for new map would be very helpful. Trails were very well marked by the Merritt bike club.

April 7, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

Oh ya forgot to mention its tick season now. Bugger was crawling up my arm in North Van.

April 8, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

Oh ya forgot to mention its tick season now. Bugger was crawling up my arm in North Van.

Yup, just found one today crawling in my scalp. Luckily it hadn't buried itself yet in the skin as the head was still intact when I removed it. Gonna send it in to VGH to get tested anyways as I'm paranoid about Lyme Disease and that sort of stuff.

From http://www.bccdc.ca/dis-cond/a-z/_l/LymeDisease/overview/Lyme+Disease.htm

If your doctor wants to have the tick tested:

Save the tick in a container with a tight fitting top.
Dampen a small cotton ball and put it into the tick container to keep the tick alive. (A live tick is necessary for culturing the spirochete which causes Lyme disease.)
Label the container with date shipped, name and address of person bitten or what type of animal the tick was from, what part of the body was bitten, and what part of the province the tick probably came from.
Also include the name and address of your family physician.
For laboratory testing, this container should be mailed as soon as possible (BC residents only):

BCCDC Laboratory Services
Parasitology Section
655 West 12th Ave.
Vancouver V5Z 4R4 BC Canada

April 11, 2014, 6:56 a.m.

TMI riding area is good to go. Ursa is clear. TMI is clear. Ol goat is clear. Ridge has a couple muddy spots. TMI is mushy right before Ursa takes off. Godey is still icy/muddy. Watch for rogue blowdown. It's been warm and quite windy here the last few days.

Chris

May 11, 2014, 9:42 p.m.

Passin' thru early afternoon tomorrow…gonna bring the XC ride, park at the Info center I think and just see where the wind takes me for a short ride…

May 12, 2014, 5:18 p.m.

Passin' thru early afternoon tomorrow…gonna bring the XC ride, park at the Info center I think and just see where the wind takes me for a short ride…

Hope the wind was kind to you.. There's some wicked laps up there!

May 12, 2014, 7:11 p.m.

Such a sweet ride! People have no idea.
Great signage too…about an hr to the top at an easy pace on TMI…25min down thru Godey Cr. back to the Info center. Awesome loop! Looks like a new return there from the creek back to Info….flows real nice. Definitely gotta get back…with the big bike too…saw some stuff I need to hit:D …and the steeeep drop into the Cr. looks str8 wicked! Must ride:cool:
Great stuff guys!
No pics after the grassy single track…busy having a BLAST!

June 9, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

The new map for the info riding area is now available at the BC tourist info centre and the bailey house downtown. It is a pilot project that will be updated as needed as new trails open up etc. it's 5$ plus tax and the proceeds go to the Merritt Mountain bike association.

June 9, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

^ that's great. when we were up last spring the info centre staff didn't even know they had maps, and the ones we got them to dredge up weren't super helpful. it was hard finding much current info about trails and zones, but y'all have some great stuff. hope the map gives more people chance to discover it, and brings you more support

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 9, 2014, 7:09 p.m.

The new map for the info riding area is now available at the BC tourist info centre and the bailey house downtown. It is a pilot project that will be updated as needed as new trails open up etc. it's 5$ plus tax and the proceeds go to the Merritt Mountain bike association.

I still have the old map that they sold at the coffee shop in town.

Will the new map have any of the Iron Mtn stuff or is that a future production? How valid is the old map in the Iron Mtn area? It certainly had its challenges over on the other side of town, but we worked it out over a couple days.

June 10, 2014, 6:50 a.m.

The map is strictly for the info area. We (the mtn bike club) are going to release a map for Iron next year I think. We are using this first map as a pilot project. The iron trails haven't changed much since the old map was released other than new additions. You'll have to keep your eyes open for intersections. I have put up loads if signage the last couple years which will help with navigation. Try the merritt mountain biking facebook page for a possible guide up there.

June 24, 2014, 7:53 p.m.

Hi Iron Mtn Hardcore or others in the know.
We are heading to Iron for our annual trip this weekend and wondering how the Iron Mtn trails are doing. Any of the trails in a 'must-do' condition or any to avoid?
Thanks,
PS We are bringing the DH bikes.

July 7, 2014, 4:55 p.m.

Didn't see this post till late, sorry. As a general update, the core trails off the east tower were all good to go as of a few weeks ago. I'm not sure on the status of the other tower, will try to get it cleared soon.

Hope you figured er out.. A better place to get to the date conditions etc might be the FB group right here. Theres a lot more activity from locals on there..