Merritt Conditions 2014

April 1, 2014, 3:43 p.m.

Anyone have info on the Iron Mtn, DH trails? Will be headed through Merritt Easter weekend and was hoping to get some shuttles in.

Thanks for any info.

April 1, 2014, 4:18 p.m.

Anyone have info on the Iron Mtn, DH trails? Will be headed through Merritt Easter weekend and was hoping to get some shuttles in.

Thanks for any info.

Drove by it Saturday morning - looked like there was still lots of snow at the top.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 1, 2014, 10:22 p.m.

Drove by it Saturday morning - looked like there was still lots of snow at the top.

At the top sure, but some of the shuttle trails only start at 1000m. the peak is 1600m. Thanks for the update, hopefully a few more peeps chime in.

April 1, 2014, 10:53 p.m.

I was up there on the 28th. For Iron DH I'm pretty sure the closest thing to being ridable as of now would be lower godey, starting at the steeps. Still snow/mud patches though, so it should be given a little bit longer. I'll try and update you closer to easter too. Typically for DH this early in the year the riding is done elsewhere in the valley..

April 2, 2014, 8:16 a.m.

Cool thanks! Where would this elsewhere be? I've never ridden in merritt before.

April 2, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

Pm'd

April 3, 2014, 8:20 a.m.

Cool thanks! Where would this elsewhere be? I've never ridden in merritt before.

If you have a pedally bike, the Info Centre trails are great for a quick hit on the way through town, definitely worth doing.

April 3, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

If you have a pedally bike, the Info Centre trails are great for a quick hit on the way through town, definitely worth doing.

Word on the Merrit mtn bike group on FB from a couple of days ago was snow melting = mud.

BTW, the Info trails run into Godey creek, so that is the same area Kossinnd mentioned above.

April 3, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Word on the Merrit mtn bike group on FB from a couple of days ago was snow melting = mud.

BTW, the Info trails run into Godey creek, so that is the same area Kossinnd mentioned above.

The info trails actually open up quite a bit earlier than Godey since its way more exposed. You can ride a Godey connector from the top of TMI, however there are also some sweet trails riding down the same face TMI goes up. I have never even ridden the connector into Godey creek because the other options are too damn irresistible. Or even back down the same trail is a hoot, its friendly either way. The top is probably still a bit muddy, but I am going on a lower half TMI lap right now with a buddy who's intel says the bottom is dry and good to go! Will update…

edit: ya what iron mtn hardcore said, info trails should be given some time. The lowest of the lower trails were tacky, so definitely higher will be nono

April 3, 2014, 4:21 p.m.

There are 2 t's in Merritt. I was up the info trails a week ago for a scout. Very muddy and snow/ice at top. If a bunch of people go up there we're going to have bad ruts all year. Give it some time. I'm working on a climbing trail to the summit of the info trails and a new decent this year up there. I got an all mtn rig last year and the DH bike saw 1/20th the action it usually does. The info trails are getting a new map (pilot project) this year to replace the dated maps we have. Should help with navigation and bang for buck for out of towers.

Chris

April 3, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

Thanks for the info [HTML_REMOVED] updates.

April 3, 2014, 9:03 p.m.

So if I go to the info center will they be able to give me some trail info? Anyone have some extra hints or maps? Thinking about stopping there on the way back down to the coast on Monday.

April 3, 2014, 9:36 p.m.

The folks at the info centre won't know anything about specifics. They do sell our old maps there and they'll help. But, as I said above, it's muddy up there. Not vancouver mud. Nicola Valley mud. I strongly advise against going too high up the hill. It'll make lots of work for me, raking out rock hard ruts when it does actually dry out. I recommend the "scenic trail" up on the bench. Go to the viewpoint flag pole on the west side of town, jump the gate and follow the road 100m's till you see the single track at the switchback. It's an out and back as far as 14 km "round" trip. Decent shape right now. There are a couple descents off the trail but they're kind of tough to find. I'm up north working right now but I very well might be home by Monday. I'll post up here. I could possibly show you around. I'm itching to ride.

April 5, 2014, 5:23 p.m.

Cool I wasn't looking to go to the top. Just wanted to stretch my legs a bit on the drive home. I am looking to ride there on monday april 7.

April 5, 2014, 9:03 p.m.

Cool man. Lookin like I won't make it home for a Monday rip. Have fun, good luck. When it dries out, hit me up. I'll be off work for a month or so. And I like to ride.

Chris