Merritt ?

June 16, 2010, 9:09 p.m.

Hey all .
What is the name of the coffee shop with the local trail maps in Merritt.
ty.

Can't remember (mandolin? mandolin bay?) the name but its beside the coopers.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 16, 2010, 10:21 p.m.

Mandolins

They have a map of Lundbolm Lake area (Coco Bonk and Wounded Knee) riding that is no different than the one you can download off the net, just bigger. Not sure if they have other maps though.

They make a good breakfast bagel melt if you're hungry!

June 24, 2010, 1:47 p.m.

did a bunch of deadfall removal a couple days ago on 99, got a little ways past elephants head but im sure there is more lower down. irons ready to rock and will be really nice and tacky, but ride cautiously for dead fall.

Cafe blog-www.bicyclecafe.blogspot.com !!!
Cafe site-www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops !!!

June 24, 2010, 2:18 p.m.

Thanks Beers! We are heading up this weekend and will keep and eye out.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

June 24, 2010, 2:49 p.m.

Please post a ride report after your trip. Planning to ride Merritt soon. Thanks!

June 24, 2010, 11:09 p.m.

Just got back from Merritt this evening. Wanted some true X-C riding to put my new DeKerf SST through its paces (thanks Different Bikes - it sure is purty!).

Camped out at Lundbom Lake and spent a couple of days ripping around Cocobonk, Wounded Knee, etc. (never did find Pete's New Trail - the only failing with the excellent MMBA map, which I picked up at the Info Centre)

X-C Trails were awesome and in great condition. Copious amounts of fresh, sticky cow poop up on Wounded Knee. Only disturbed one black bear!

If the A-M and D-H trails are in as good condition, you're all in for an excellent adventure!

June 27, 2010, 6:18 p.m.

Hey Merritt locals - which of the trails off Iron Mountain give you the best bang for your buck?
I'll be heading thru Merritt next weekend but will probably only have time for one shuttle run off Iron. I'll have my big bike in case that makes any difference…

June 27, 2010, 7:20 p.m.

did a bunch of dead fall removal a couple days ago on 99, got a little ways past elephants head but I'm sure there is more lower down. irons ready to rock and will be really nice and tacky, but ride cautiously for dead fall.

Thanks alot for your work. Your right, there is more lower down. After watching someone bail on the elephant head with his bike cartwheeling down the rock, I took a pass. He had a couple of scrapes and bruises. There were no less than 30 trees across the trail. We just basically walked down the whole trail after the E.H….. T.M.I. to Godey Creek were great as ussual…. Coul

Chainsmoker 8)

June 27, 2010, 7:31 p.m.

My last post did not display the whole thing even after the edit? Anyway, Coul

Chainsmoker 8)

June 27, 2010, 7:38 p.m.

HAHAHA It did it again. I think its the word coulee with a slash over top of the "e", that spell check put on. OK, Coulee plateau was great with no signs of any current logging. Cow trail climb has had some recent clearing (thanks). Ziggy has several trees blown down and JP Cool has a few. Got lost on waterhole #9 and GPS helped us find our way bushwhacking. Great conditions last 4 days. Look forward to the next visit.

Chainsmoker 8)

June 28, 2010, 10:32 a.m.

We had a great first run down 98/Goodey in the morning. Beautiful.
Then we made teh mistake of going over ot Treats and werehaving fun until after the Elephant head. There was quite alot of blowdown and qwe got lost. Really lost. Ended up on something crazythat we have no right to be on. From there we took the road out to the highway.
I still recomend Merritt highly, stick to 98, 99 and the the Goodey trails and you will have a great time.
If you see a trail with the name of a certain heavy metal band, turn around.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

June 28, 2010, 12:01 p.m.

Hey Merritt locals - which of the trails off Iron Mountain give you the best bang for your buck?
I'll be heading thru Merritt next weekend but will probably only have time for one shuttle run off Iron. I'll have my big bike in case that makes any difference…

98 or 99 fo shizzle. however with the blow down on 99 that can be a bit of a bummer but we are working on getting a chainsaw up there. As of now, unless anyone else has been up clearing, I would go for 98. Some nice steeps/chutes, but lots of fast smooth stuff too, ending up on godey. Im not completely sure on the blowdown situation on 98 but im sure its significantly less.

June 28, 2010, 7:27 p.m.

No blow down on 98, it's good to go(as of last Sunday).

AS Darth indicates there is a tremendous amount of blow down after Elephant Head. We cleared a few by hand but it needs a saw big time.

Goody Creek was as divine as usual.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 28, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

Then we made teh mistake of going over ot Treats and werehaving fun until after the Elephant head. There was quite alot of blowdown and qwe got lost. Really lost. Ended up on something crazythat we have no right to be on. From there we took the road out to the highway.
I still recomend Merritt highly, stick to 98, 99 and the the Goodey trails and you will have a great time.

We got lost in the same area, came out near a little rancher just off the highway IIRC. It was most entertaining.

June 28, 2010, 9:51 p.m.

Sounds like you found the Tyrant.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018