Merritt ?

July 6, 2010, 4:23 p.m.

Are there any alternative methods of accessing the single track trails on the north side of Goodey Creek (such as Ursa Major) that don't involve THE PUSH UP OF DEATH from mid way along Upper Goodey?

Just wondering if you can drive further up the road, past the entrance to upper Goodey and access the trails from further up the hill and avoid the death push?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 6, 2010, 8:56 p.m.

Are there any alternative methods of accessing the single track trails on the north side of Goodey Creek (such as Ursa Major) that don't involve THE PUSH UP OF DEATH from mid way along Upper Goodey?

Just wondering if you can drive further up the road, past the entrance to upper Goodey and access the trails from further up the hill and avoid the death push?

push of death? ride up too much info right from the info center…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 6, 2010, 9:12 p.m.

Have you been shuttling Godey Creek up that road on Iron? There is a great single track climb from the info center called Too much info that takes you to the top. I have been wanting to take T.M.I. back down, but Godey Creek is just Too Much Fun.

Chainsmoker 8)

July 6, 2010, 11:02 p.m.

push of death? ride up too much info right from the info center…

Thanks Sharon, we will try that next time.

Have you been shuttling Godey Creek up that road on Iron? There is a great single track climb from the info center called Too much info that takes you to the top. I have been wanting to take T.M.I. back down, but Godey Creek is just Too Much Fun.

We were hitting Godey after Route 98/99 etc. Thanks for info on TMI.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 7, 2010, 12:46 p.m.

There is a great single track climb from the info center called Too much info that takes you to the top. I have been wanting to take T.M.I. back down

Having ridden both TMI and Godey Creek, I'd say TMI is waaaay more fun than Godey Creek (though it is a lot more pedally). I've never done TMI as a climb and I've never done Ursa Major.

Having checked on Google Earth and various other sources, it appears that if you continue further east along the FSR then there are trails which allow you to skirt around the deepest part of the Godey Creek drainage and link up with the trail which accesses TMI (You can see this trail coming in from your right as you get to the top of the climb). These trail avoids most of THE PUSH UP OF DEATH, however, some of these trails do cross private land!

July 10, 2010, 12:34 p.m.

Are there any alternative methods of accessing the single track trails on the north side of Godey Creek (such as Ursa Major) that don't involve THE PUSH UP OF DEATH from mid way along Upper Godey?

Back in the day we called this "Little Iron"

You can shuttle up the highway towards Kelowna. Stop at lundbom. There's a dirt road that starts on the south west side of the highway and heads down the valley (you'll see a lake down at the bottom). If you ride down this road it will eventually hook up with the single track at the top of TMI. (if you remember the wide open meadow section). Its pretty fun and fast with minimal uphill(just a bit on singletrack in the meadow section.)

Heres a bikely map

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Little-Iron

NOTE: This is likely private property so… go at night, dressed in black.

July 11, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

So, I started to clear 99 where it branches at treats. Managed to clear everything outta the way except for 1 log before I decided to head back up the trail. I got to this one part, the trail comes down a steeper section and forks. One way goes right and the other left. There was a cat load of trees and logs on the left trail, and not as much immediately on the right trail. The only reason I noticed the cat loaded trail full of trees was because of the blue ribbon trail markers. I cleared up the majorty of that section, but didn't venture further. I also cleared up the beginning of the right trail. I have a feeling the left trail goes to the end of treats and the right one goes to 98. However I'm not sure. Which one did you guys ride? I could post pictures up, I tried to snap a couple. This is the first time I've been on this trail so you guys probably know it better than me :lol:

July 11, 2010, 9:19 p.m.

However I'm not sure. Which one did you guys ride? I could post pictures up, I tried to snap a couple. This is the first time I've been on this trail so you guys probably know it better than me :lol:

I'm pretty sure I know where you were. We first went right down the steeper sandy bit, then the trail stopped. We went back up and continued to the left.

I don't think it was too bad after that batch of downed trees.

Interestingly though it did look like someone was spreading branches over the trail to block it. We cleared a shit load of loose branches that didn't look like they fell there.

July 11, 2010, 9:43 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I know where you were. We first went right down the steeper sandy bit, then the trail stopped. We went back up and continued to the left.

I don't think it was too bad after that batch of downed trees.

Interestingly though it did look like someone was spreading branches over the trail to block it. We cleared a shit load of loose branches that didn't look like they fell there.

did the right turn soon exit the trees and cross a short field full of tall grass, then back into trees? I didn't go too far in. Did it by any chance end on a road? The left trail did look like there were trees piled there! I was kinda confused, I only cleaned up because of the ribbon. there were some cut logs piled too… did the left option lead you to 98? As long as those branches werent piled there to keep people from riding off a cliff or something :P.. Up higher on the trail, did you guys come near to death on that teeter over the log!? It seemed to be a fairly simple teeter, but it was broken half way through. I thought it was a drop/ramp at first, but when I walked on it, it slid forward. Scared me. Hopefully you rode the logride that goes perpendicular and over the teeter!

Thanks

July 11, 2010, 10:25 p.m.

did the right turn soon exit the trees and cross a short field full of tall grass, then back into trees? I didn't go too far in. Did it by any chance end on a road?

We didn't go that far on the right fork since it didn't look like a ridable trail, but maybe it was the route.

check out my gps tracks here:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=692434[HTML_REMOVED]code=06d3ef2a449b1e784c9b834f983b57d9

This is the route we went to the left. You can see a little jog 1t 1480m where we backtracked. Looks like if you kept going you would get back onto the same track.

Up higher on the trail, did you guys come near to death on that teeter over the log!? It seemed to be a fairly simple teeter, but it was broken half way through. I thought it was a drop/ramp at first, but when I walked on it, it slid forward. Scared me. Hopefully you rode the logride that goes perpendicular and over the teeter!

Thanks

Don't recall the teeter. But we could have been distracted by the blow down.

July 11, 2010, 11:11 p.m.

Here was a thick and nasty section before and after

after

Odd you didn't see the teeter.. Seemed to be unavoidable, as one way around it was over the teeter (which is just a board) and the other is riding the log that the teeter is on. There wasn't major blowdown, except for a bigass tree that you would have to duck slightly under to go over the teeter/ramp. Hopefully I was on the right trail!
I'm posting horrible pictures of that little fork I came across. This is looking down at it, trail is left, and trail is right. I'll just post the before pics of these parts.. Its really hard to tell whats goin on!

Looking directly at the fork. Yes, there is a trail left. You can see the right trail in the shadows

Yup thats the left trail. Buncha wood piled up in that one spot.

Right trail, not so bad to start..

July 11, 2010, 11:20 p.m.

I can't recall… I don't think I would go over that blowdown if the other option was more clear. great work! Regardless of which trail is which if you clear them both you'll have more trails to ride!

Aug. 10, 2010, 5:15 p.m.

For those of you who have ridden Lower Godey (or connector, whatever) and have had your eyes gouged out, and upper body basically raped by branches and leaves, it's all trimmed up now. A good run from the top is 99 to 3 shot willow to lower godey. Its a fun pinner trail that meets up with the rest of the godey creek trail.

Aug. 10, 2010, 9:33 p.m.

Right on Kossind! I will have to get up there again before the season ends.

Sept. 2, 2010, 1 p.m.

Sharon, your link with the map notes:

There is a new trail that is not on the map, nor do we have the GPS info for it that runs fall line down Too Much Info.

This trail is called the Ridge Trail. TMI meets it a couple times as it meanders back and forth, notable at a couple of small jumps/drops.

To access the top of "Main Ridge", you ride up TMI until you hit the second last steep pitch up to Lone Pine (pre-grasslands steeps). There is an obvious junction and you turn right. This singetrack goes about 200m, and you hit the ridge over Godey Creek and start heading down. Fun, steeper slabs, and some good flow, but quick. You terminate down at the road that sits just above the Info Centre Tourist loops via a couple intermediate stunts.

There is also a "newer" line that takes you higher to "Upper Ridge" for sake of a better name. To get her you continue to ride toward Lone Pine. As you crest the hill, but before descending down to the Lone Pine, look for an obscure trail branching left through the grass (marked by a large flat rock). Once you climb through the grass and back onto the escarpment above you, it is a very nice singletrack climb to near the summit of this small sub-peak. From here, it turns downhill through some tech steeps, some rollers, and a couple wood drops and eventually joins TMI at the junction to "Main Ridge" as noted above. Well worth the nice climb.