Merritt ?

June 30, 2010, 3:55 p.m.

Sounds like you found the Tyrant.

Yup, that was the one, and f#cking horrendous it was.

Even the walk around's were lethal!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 1, 2010, 8:25 a.m.

tyrant? what was lethal about it? just a crappy trail - orrrrr? - just huge stuff?

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 3, 2010, 7:12 p.m.

Did you guys happen to get lost after a section with lots of greenery (lots) and a kinda sketchy bridge that crosses over a dribbling creek? Ya kinda have to hop onto the bridge, it has a rough transition, and its only about 6 feet long. Well anyways, we made a bit of a ramp so you can ride onto it easier, as long as it doesn't sink in! I suspect you may have gone straight after that part, when you should have turned left. There was some blowdown and we cleared all that. Hopefully there won't be anymore confusion. The bottom part of 99 will be good, and the top, but the middle (after elephants head and a little down from there) will still have blowdown. Couldn't make it all the way today, and we had two bowsaws and an axe. there is one small spot that had a cluster of atleast 18 trees down, we managed about 8? still a cluster of 10 or so. Other than that the odd ones that were too big, so still becareful until we can get a chainsaw up there. There is a lot more rideable trail however, just from getting rid of those pesky flow-wreckers.
Mattias

July 3, 2010, 9:03 p.m.

Thanks!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 4, 2010, 2:07 p.m.

Thanks for all you work up there Kossind. We will be heading up there again in the next few weeks and check it out.
We still love the place, Goodey Creek has to be the most beautifully located trail

July 4, 2010, 8:28 p.m.

Yup, that was the one, and f#cking horrendous it was.

Even the walk around's were lethal!

All I remember as I rode those skinnies was brant yelling, "DO IT! DO IT!"

Fuck I love riding merritt.

transition bikes

July 5, 2010, 9:48 a.m.

So we had a bit of an adventure yesterday.
98, good to go, getting a little loose and dusty in spots.
99 (proper, not Treats etc) was a mess, we tried the 99-98 connector which was a full on bushwhack, and not even close to recommended!
Hornet, we bailed out after 15 minutes of scrambling over blowdown and getting eaten alive by mosquitos.
99-Treats etc, apart from the grove of blowdown around Elephant Head, the trail was definitely awesome, and made it all worthwhile.

July 5, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

I may have seen your tracks going into hornet.. Just checked it out on the way down the mountain but yeah not rideable! We cleared a lot of trees after elephant head just this morning, there are only a few big ones left! One of the big ones was in a waay bushed in part so we cleared the bushes away so atleast you won't be surprised by it. Were there large trees fallen on the full 99 trail?

July 5, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

Yes, there was a big mix on 99 and some of the blowdown was big, probably chainsaw big, and the connector to 98 probably needs a few gallons of Agent Orange ;).
It doesn't look like many people ride the 99 line much, which isn't surprising with treats right there.

July 5, 2010, 3:35 p.m.

Sounds like you found the Tyrant.

The wood on the Iron Maiden is starting to rot out, really nasty when you are up that high and the wood is disintegrating underneath you.

July 5, 2010, 3:43 p.m.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Yeah the connector definately sees a lot less riders.. and I bet all that blowdown isn't helping!

July 5, 2010, 8:38 p.m.

The wood on the Iron Maiden is starting to rot out, really nasty when you are up that high and the wood is disintegrating underneath you.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I walked over it.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 5, 2010, 10:42 p.m.

The trails that were good were good!

Godey trail was A LOT tougher on the Session then my xc bike!

https://vimeo.com/13108263

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 6, 2010, 2:03 p.m.

Love how green and lush it is up there right now! So cool riding through those tall grass meadows, should've been yodeling!

July 6, 2010, 2:17 p.m.

Love how green and lush it is up there right now! So cool riding through those tall grass meadows, should've been yodeling!

I think Lee was yodelling when he nutted himself.