KBR snow.

March 1, 2009, 4:18 p.m.

Well I was in vv yesterday evening and decided to take a look at the bike ranch to see how much snow was there. The mulch jump is about 10 mins of shovelling away from being rideable and the hip needs a run in dug out but everyting else is covered still! It looks like there is more snow than last year up there yet it hasnt been a great snow season.

Anyways I was thinking if people start to go up and shovel off the jumps soon when all the snow does melt the jumps won't be slop!
Hopefully we get some sun and warm weather!

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

March 19, 2009, 10:39 p.m.

Any info on current conditions at the Ranch? Expected for the weekend?

In Session

March 20, 2009, 8:49 a.m.

Jumps in the Corral area were ridable when frozen in the early part of the day. People have been shoveling the two sets.

www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops
250-828- BIKE (2453)

March 20, 2009, 10:08 a.m.

[QUOTE=Bicycle Caf

In Session

March 20, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

The race courses are going to see some major work done to them starting maybe next week. Watch out for people working and stay on the trail please… also watch out for closed sections.

And just a friendly reminder… any booters built outside of the corral will be destroyed asap. Keep it in the corral. Spread the word.

Thanks

March 20, 2009, 12:43 p.m.

Booter nazi. :D

I can give you a hand most of next week if you need it. Let me know.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

March 20, 2009, 1:38 p.m.

The race courses are going to see some major work done to them starting maybe next week. Watch out for people working and stay on the trail please… also watch out for closed sections.

And just a friendly reminder… any booters built outside of the corral will be destroyed asap. Keep it in the corral. Spread the word.

Thanks

Booters outside the corral meaning where carcass was before the flattening? The land is just sitting there with nothing happening.

March 20, 2009, 2:15 p.m.

What's "carcass"?

The problem is that the city views it as a liability. Many of those jumps were built outside of the park boundaries on city land. If it continues the city will shut the entire park down, as they have said many times… and believe me they will. Therefore we need to work within those guidelines.

We (Henry Pejril and me) have recently put in a proposal to look after the park. We got it about a week ago and now we have just formed a club with several key vollunteers from Full Boar, Cafe, Taboo, KBRA, and several other people like Dustin Adams, our race crew, etc. This happened only last night at a meeting we had at city hall.

The goal is to focus it a little more into a provincially and nationally recognized training center for xc, dh, ds, bmx, cx, and maybe even 4x. Coaching clinics will be offered, as well as weekly races in each discipline, run by our club members. There may eventually be funding in place to operate weekend shuttles, as well as allowing us to obtain some heavy equipment.

So, back to building… since all of our club members are taking a leadership role in this park existing (which as of right now wouldn't without the competition portion), this means all building has to be co-ordinated through one of our club members, which ultimately will go through me. If someone wants to pick up a shovel and maintain what's there then giv'er, but anything new has to be ok'ed first.

The city is willing to take on the liability of the corral, which is great considering the next option is to plow all the dirt jumps. Nobody wants that to happen obviously. Part of the corral staying the way it is, is that all outside building of those huge senders cease. All the bike shops are on board with this decision and will be taking a leadership role in educating this to their riders and customers.

Like I said this is very new, and the process is still being sorted out.

March 20, 2009, 3:17 p.m.

Interesting. Thanks for explaining that, people should have had a way of knowing all that (which your club is going to do) as I had no idea the city threatened to shut down the park if people built booters outside the park.

Do you know if the city has any plans for that land just outside the park?
Would it be out of the question to "expand" the park into that valley at all?

March 20, 2009, 3:43 p.m.

This is kind of new. They've let a lot of things go but pulled in the "reigns" late last year.

The name of that area is escaping me, but it is a preserved and protected grasslands park, so there's no chance of any new trails or features out there. For our XC race course to be out there, which most of it is, is only because there was an existing trail there that we could use. There are lot of "watch dogs" up there (non cyclists) who want us out of the area. All that building that gets done in those valleys is reported right away. Because of that, we now have to play by the rules.

The bike park boundaries goes only as far as the nearest valley behind the arena. So the next valley over from the corral. We had to go through a week of groveling last year to get a new line cut in behind the RC track for the xc race. That said, there is room to grow, but only in certain areas. Any growth will have to go through the proper channels to get approved obviously. If we need extra space to build a race course, and its not within the grasslands park, then it wouldn't be impossible.

It was just a lack of communication really, that allowed builders to get away with making all those jumps. It should have been known from the get go, in the city's opinion. That's kind of the whole reason the park went in, so people would keep all jumps and trails within the park.

A lot of that blame goes towards the filmers who come in and build without tearing stuff down afterwards. They'll still be encouraged to do so, but anything they build has to be deconstructed immediately after filming is done. Unfortunately if they don't, that leaves me to do it. Yes, EVERYBODY wanting to build new stuff has to go get the go-ahead from someone from our board of club members.

March 20, 2009, 3:54 p.m.

Isnt the nearest valley behind the arena one to the left of where all the jumps used to be?
With permission that valley could be used for booters and a few big lines like before could it not? That would be pretty neat if it was in the park boundries and that was allowed to happen there because i dont think there is anything there at the moment.

March 20, 2009, 4:06 p.m.

The boundries of the park are on top of the bluff between the valley where the coral is and the one you're talking about. Anything built east of the Corral will likely be taken down by the city.

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

March 20, 2009, 4:17 p.m.

There ya go, straight from the horses mouth (no Rob I don't mean you have a horse face). The park is even more narrow than I thought.

Bottom line is, no new building unless its approved first.

At this moment, the park is being run by city employees. I just got an e-mail saying that they will be going in there next week to start clean up. We don't have control of it yet until our society becomes official.

March 21, 2009, 3:52 p.m.

just as a heads up… there are TONS of booters on the plateau that the city missed last fall… maybe let them know that so they don't view it as new construction.

March 21, 2009, 6:38 p.m.

There's a certain city employee on here who knows all about them. Those guys are actually very aware of what's going on. They should be in there on a regular basis for a couple of weeks I'm assuming, until they let the club have it. I saw guys in there late last fall building but I wasn't in a position to say anything.

After we get settled in and general upkeep is done and the June race is over with, then we'll start work on the dual slalom track. There will also be a "north shore" style trail (elevated wooden structures) for the people who are into that type of riding. One of us will be building a climb up from the current XC course all the way up to the bmx track so xc riders don't have to ride the road.

Then we will be running weekly DH, DS and BMX/4X races… as long as we have the club members to help run it. So the less time we have taking down illegal hits the more time we can devote to making this a proper park.