Kamloops 2016

March 7, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

2.5 weeks until Easter weekend, which means mass pilgrimage to Kamloops for some riding.

Anyone have some intel on the conditions there? Wayne, just saw that you posted a riding video on Pinkbike. Whereabouts was that?

Areas of interest:
- Rio
- Jameson
- Savonah
- Harper

March 7, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

I haven't ACTUALLY been out on the bike yet, but from living in the area I can tell you Harper, Jameson are still going to have snow.

Rio should be good by then, Savona is good to go right now.

March 7, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

Cheers for the update. Not surprising about Harper. It's never good to good this time of year. Oh well, lots can happen in 2.5 weeks!

March 7, 2016, 7:08 p.m.

That sounds fun! Maybe our posse will roll up

March 8, 2016, 10:58 a.m.

Rio,Jameson,Harper all pretty good. Savona is 100 percent clear. Not sure about knutsford? The shuttle road up at harper is complete shit though. Everyones staying off of it for the most part. The unicorn was also cancelled mainly because of how terrible it's gotten. Good for a hike/pedal though!

March 13, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

been in loops a week now. rode batch yesterday. pretty good, soooooo diff than my home trails in Cumberland. i've never ridden anywhere that is active cattle range and had to open and close old timey cowboy gates. if the trails currently running for a while yet are similar, i'll be switching to more xc like tires that's for sure. anyone know when Merritt trails start going? i'm stoked for all the others in the area to open up. video of Rio looks awesome but a guy said there's lots of trees down on it at present and needs clearing and work.

March 14, 2016, 4:46 a.m.

been in loops a week now. rode batch yesterday. pretty good, soooooo diff than my home trails in Cumberland. i've never ridden anywhere that is active cattle range and had to open and close old timey cowboy gates. if the trails currently running for a while yet are similar, i'll be switching to more xc like tires that's for sure. anyone know when Merritt trails start going? i'm stoked for all the others in the area to open up. video of Rio looks awesome but a guy said there's lots of trees down on it at present and needs clearing and work.

In Merritt the exposed and south facing trails are going. Lower iron mountain network is starting to clear too but will probably be muck depending on weather. FB

March 14, 2016, 7:11 a.m.

Batch is very, very unique, even for Kamloops. Its generally conceived as the worst riding area in Kamloops, although it does have a few fun trails.

Kenna Cartright has some fun xc trails too, but there is a lot of ground water seepage up there on the Northern slopes right now.

Pineview is close. It might be ready by Easter. That's the best riding area within the city. Note, the western side will be closed until late June/early July because of grazing. It will be easy to notice because of closed gates and posted signs. I'm building a 2.5km trail over there right now, as well as another trail planned for the fall.

The Ranch is good to go, if you're into short DH runs.

Savona has been good for over a month.

Stay out of Knutsford/Peterson Creek area. That's private ranching property. A lot of riders still ride over there but they really shouldn't. The ranchers are actively patrolling it.

The trails above my house, including Rio, Burn the Berms, and Road of Bones are good to go. Rio is a mess though. Needs a lot of work and has a lot of ground water seepage. If you access those trails from the top, please ride in and park at Rose Hill road. That's private property and shuttlers have been tearing up the grasslands. Another thing to note, that area is tick central in the springtime. I went for a ride over there last year around this time and pulled 5 ticks off me within about 20 minutes.

March 14, 2016, 5:55 p.m.

thanks for the 411. and for the trail work, i want to ride them all. on the map almost looked like you could ride up from the arena and go right up to the top of Rio from there and ride down and connect to some traverse trails coming back. guy at Cafe said def can do, but can be confusing trying to find the connections.

March 14, 2016, 7:15 p.m.

thanks for the 411. and for the trail work, i want to ride them all. on the map almost looked like you could ride up from the arena and go right up to the top of Rio from there and ride down and connect to some traverse trails coming back. guy at Cafe said def can do, but can be confusing trying to find the connections.

Yes you can. I can show you the goods if you like. I live in Juniper which is really close to Rio.

March 14, 2016, 9:22 p.m.

post work rides starting soon!

March 19, 2016, 11:07 p.m.

hit the ranch today. lots of skills to be learned in there, pretty cool place. i got a tick! i'm eating dinner and like, what's crawling on my neck. my first tick, yuck.

March 20, 2016, 4:52 a.m.

hit the ranch today. lots of skills to be learned in there, pretty cool place. i got a tick! i'm eating dinner and like, what's crawling on my neck. my first tick, yuck.

Did it get you? Check your parts for more, any red marks? If so do a Lyme pre strike …my work partner got it so I'm a little paranoid lol. http://www.m.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/tick-bites-home-treatment

March 20, 2016, 7:25 a.m.

I was at the Ranch too. Put in 7 laps, no shuttling. Even though I live just above it I rarely go in there. Brad's added some nice new trails! The new 3 Amigos was great!

Didya check out the size of the Fest jumps? They're easy to miss because they are as big as houses.

Springtime in Kamloops, check for ticks every few minutes. You won't feel them crawling up your legs. I pulled one out my daughter's neck a few years ago. That was interesting!

March 21, 2016, 5:01 a.m.

I have never had a tick before, grew up riding in nanaimo and North Vancouver. Are ticks common in the loops?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.