Golden Ears Park 2015 conditions

Jan. 1, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

East Canyon Trail to the 4km fork (near the outhouse) is clear of windfall. There is snow and ice from the high point.

After the fork there are trees down, a major washout, and some bike swallowing ditches (guessing they are from horses in the marshy areas.)

Jan. 5, 2015, 5:55 p.m.

(guessing they are from horses in the marshy areas.)

That would be wrong. Horses cause no damage to trails.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Jan. 5, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

That would be wrong. Horses cause no damage to trails.

LOL, I should have taken pics of the horse signs out there.

Jan. 6, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

Wait…you can ride bikes at Golden Ears Park? For some reason I thought it was forbidden there. Cool!

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 6, 2015, 1:24 p.m.

Wait…you can ride bikes at Golden Ears Park? For some reason I thought it was forbidden there. Cool!

Only some of the trails, check the park web page [HTML_REMOVED] map.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/#Cycling

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/goldenears.pdf

Jan. 6, 2015, 4:04 p.m.

Only some of the trails, check the park web page [HTML_REMOVED] map.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/#Cycling

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/goldenears.pdf

Thanks kind sir. It looks like a great place to take one of my kids for an intro to mtb type ride.
:r::pizza:

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 6, 2015, 6:56 p.m.

Thanks kind sir. It looks like a great place to take one of my kids for an intro to mtb type ride.
:r::pizza:

yay its a good spot to take the kids . i have not been there is yrs but always had fun there

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 22, 2015, 8:33 a.m.

With a bit of exploring, Golden Ears has a surprising variety of trails. The local hiking group punched in some new trails around the Mike Lake area and extensions to existing trails - all unsanctioned by BC Parks but that's another story - that can make for some pretty good loops.
Not much traffic and no having to share space with horses.

Jan. 22, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

The local hiking group punched in some new trails around the Mike Lake area and extensions to existing trails - all unsanctioned by BC Parks but that's another story - that can make for some pretty good loops.

TBH, they've punched a LOT of new trails and line extensions in the park over the past few years. Granted most of these are just flagged paths through the woods that don't disrupt much (right now), but if mountain bikers did this on the same scale, it'd be shut down quickly and the world would end shortly thereafter.

Update:

Eric Dunning Trail at Mike Lake is in horrendous shape right now.

Alouette Mt trail is ok, but starting to show the effects of its age and the fact that little to no work has ever been done on it.

Menzies Trail is good.

Corral Trail is good but busy. There's more traffic on foot and on horseback than in the past, and horse riders still expect bikers to dismount while passing. I don't know why people on horseback don't dismount as well, because the number of pepole who have problems controlling their animals around others is astounding to me.

There was a film crew on the main road in the Mike Lake area last week, but it should be complete now.

March 13, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

Trails at Golden Ears are shit punched right now.

Eric Dunning descent is awful.
Descent from Lookout to Mike Lake on Menzies is awful; all descents on Menzies are horrible, mostly thanks to water erosion.

Basically, both trails are like riding 1km long rock gardens that were planned with no regard to human activity. If that doesn't put you off, the number of hikers and trail runners who don't leash their dogs on the trails is off the charts. Or horses, man does it suck when you come across horses or their paths on any trail used by non-horseback riders.

March 14, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

I am in contact with BC Parks regarding the deteriorating condition of trails in the park. It is a long process though.

www.FVMBA.com

March 14, 2015, 5:01 p.m.

It is a long process though.

That's actually the reason the trails are punched. In the past, there's been a large amount of inflexibility by park management which has discouraged fairly spontaneous volunteer maintenance. This has contributed greatly to declining trail quality and has also contributed to rogue building in the park (although most building in recent years has been done by hikers, who have cut and continue to cut new lines all over the place).