Fromme/Seymour conditions

June 9, 2009, 4:13 p.m.

How do you figure Boundary needs TLC?

Needs more berms

/esarc

June 9, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

How do you figure Boundary needs TLC?

In terms of woodwork… some is very dry, broken, cracking etc. Esp the big 180 ladder thingermabob. It was fine a month ago… it seems to be broken in one more spot every time i ride by!

Hammered in some loose nail heads on the trail today… But pink starfish is definitly worse off right now and probably leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some of boundary ;P

If you'd like some help up there one day give me a shout! I ride boundary at least twice a week and would love to help keep it sexy.

June 9, 2009, 4:47 p.m.

In terms of woodwork… some is very dry, broken, cracking etc. Esp the big 180 ladder thingermabob. It was fine a month ago… it seems to be broken in one more spot every time i ride by!

Hammered in some loose nail heads on the trail today… But pink starfish is definitly worse off right now and probably leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some of boundary ;P

If you'd like some help up there one day give me a shout! I ride boundary at least twice a week and would love to help keep it sexy.

"a bad taste in my mouth for some of Boundary"? Wow.

The "180 thing" I decommisioned awhile ago but someone keeps reopening it…I took care of that yesterday.
As for woodwork…I guess the 3 new structures in Lower Boundary in less that 8 months pales in comparison to you having to hammer in a couple nails.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

June 9, 2009, 4:52 p.m.

"a bad taste in my mouth for some of Boundary"? Wow.

The "180 thing" I decommisioned awhile ago but someone keeps reopening it…I took care of that yesterday.
As for woodwork…I guess the 3 new structures in Lower Boundary in less that 8 months pales in comparison to you having to hammer in a couple nails.;)

Haha I didn't know how else to put it!

Your work is great, I'm just offering an extra hand for small trail maintenance should you want it. Since I enjoy boundary so much and would love to see it and others in nothing less than tip top shape all the time :P

June 9, 2009, 5:04 p.m.

Haha I didn't know how else to put it!

Your work is great, I'm just offering an extra hand for small trail maintenance should you want it. Since I enjoy boundary so much and would love to see it and others in nothing less than tip top shape all the time :P

Yeah…I wish all trails were in tip top shape as well but that is part of mountain biking…working with what you got.

I rode Boundary last week…and IMO…it is fine.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

June 9, 2009, 11:03 p.m.

Boundary is in great condition and is one of my new favourites on Fromme. Thanks for all of the work Karen.

June 10, 2009, 6:53 a.m.

But pink starfish is definitly worse off right now .

Youre right about that - Starfish is going to need a big chunk of work done on it. If youre interested in helping, one of the best things you can do is some rockwork. Head up to starfish someday and find a part (any part) thats has a chundery/trenched ground section that could use some firming up. Wander around in the woods near said section and find big rocks with a flattish surface - the bigger the better. Collect rocks near your chosen section until you think you have enough. Then collect 50% more. If you want, you can stop there, or if you feel inspired take a look at the rockwork on the Baden Powell and try to replicate on your section. Its hard, slow and frustrating at first, but you quickly get the hang of it. Your efforts will be very much appreciated. If you do just collect rocks (a great workout thats a combo of hiking and weightlifting) that would be awesome too, just make it clear that you have made a pile so they can be planted in due course.

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

June 10, 2009, 9:43 a.m.

I am just wondering Methods, out of curiosity, not trying to be a jerk or anything.

But Have you been to a trail day this year yet? We have had 4.

Boundary Is my favorite trail as well and I love hiking it as often as I can. This trail is in the best condition ever, period.

You might want to be careful with your words to Karen or the next trail day she might have some special baked goods just for you…

June 10, 2009, 9:58 a.m.

Just thought I would jump in here… Methods and I rode the trails this week and yeah, there are some sections where the woodwork definitely needs some fixing. Maybe next time up I'll bring a hammer and some nails, but having never done this type of work, I don't want to 'fix' woodwork in a way that might not hold up to the use it sees. Perhaps I'm over analyzing, but I'd rather have someone with experience show me how to do things rather than just nailing stuff myself.

Would I like to do a trail day? Yeah, I'd love to. Problem: they're all on weekends. I either work or am away from the city on weekends but have almost every weekday free…

June 10, 2009, 10:20 a.m.

Fotog - your right, I think its a good policy to leave woodwork alone. If its totally broken and dangerous just block it off and inform the builder (they might not yet know).

As for helping out, as I mentioned earlier, rockwork is the most needed type of work on our trails (the woodwork is just icing). Traildays are a great way to learn how to do rockwork, but if you cant make it, just hike around and observe what others have done. Then its all trial and error. Try fixing some shit out on Starfish - as far as I know it doesnt have a dedicated caretaker (anyone know any differently?) Even if you just pile rocks near washed out crap sections, it helps a lot.

Cheers
M

A complex interaction between sterics and electronics…

June 10, 2009, 11:29 a.m.

Just thought I would jump in here… Methods and I rode the trails this week and yeah, there are some sections where the woodwork definitely needs some fixing. Maybe next time up I'll bring a hammer and some nails, but having never done this type of work, I don't want to 'fix' woodwork in a way that might not hold up to the use it sees. Perhaps I'm over analyzing, but I'd rather have someone with experience show me how to do things rather than just nailing stuff myself.

for a trail that has a dedicated builder - ie karen - you're better off not "fixing" anything. if she doesn't like what you've done, she now has to go back and rip it out and replace it, thereby wasting her time. if a stunt is unrideable due to safety issues, then block it off and email the nsmba and it'll get taken care of.

June 10, 2009, 12:48 p.m.

for a trail that has a dedicated builder - ie karen - you're better off not "fixing" anything. if she doesn't like what you've done, she now has to go back and rip it out and replace it, thereby wasting her time. if a stunt is unrideable due to safety issues, then block it off and email the nsmba and it'll get taken care of.

As I said, I'm not about to 'fix' a trail I know nothing about. I'll flatten nails that stick out and remove broken sections of wood, but that's purely for safety reasons.

Thanks about the tip on where to send info about broken bits; I'll do that next time I come across something that needs fixin'.

Also, how do you find out if a trail has a builder / maintainer and who it is?

June 10, 2009, 12:55 p.m.

As I said, I'm not about to 'fix' a trail I know nothing about. I'll flatten nails that stick out and remove broken sections of wood, but that's purely for safety reasons.

Thanks about the tip on where to send info about broken bits; I'll do that next time I come across something that needs fixin'.

Also, how do you find out if a trail has a builder / maintainer and who it is?

fire an email to [email protected] and they'll let you know if a trail has a current maintainer

June 10, 2009, 3:48 p.m.

Forgive me if I'm saying something on the interweb that I shouldn't. I'm trying to be as careful as I can.
Question: Is that trail on Fromme with a name that sounds like a library nerd closed for some reason or just hidden? There's a small pile of debris piled up on the entrance. I don't think it's a "secret" trail as it does appear on some maps.

June 10, 2009, 3:50 p.m.

Forgive me if I'm saying something on the interweb that I shouldn't. I'm trying to be as careful as I can.
Question: Is that trail on Fromme with a name that sounds like a library nerd closed for some reason or just hidden? There's a small pile of debris piled up on the entrance. I don't think it's a "secret" trail as it does appear on some maps.

some people like to think it's secret, when like you say, it's on the maps. I still don't get it.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.