Fromme/Seymour conditions

April 4, 2009, 10:43 a.m.

Just rode/hiked down Crinkum today. It was a great adventure, but not much of a ride. Much snow on the road from above 3rd switchback to 5th and all the way down Crinkem to Cedar Trail. 6+ blowdowns, some of them large diameter. Gonna need a long bar on the chainsaw to get through some of them. It had some drainage issues over the winter not far from the 3rd switchback.

The riding was okay on Griffen. A hand saw will get you through the couple of small blowdowns.

crinkum is cleared from 5th to just before the new bridge on Old Cedar road

still some snowy patches on the top, and above the 5th … don't expect to ride it for another month or two :(

griffen still to be done

also, someone asked about Ladies Only: fairly snowy (like 2ft or more) on the top bit, i'd recommend coming in from the 4th switchback if you want to ride ladies in the next month. trail is good to go though

April 4, 2009, 9:01 p.m.

crinkum is cleared from 5th to just before the new bridge on Old Cedar road

All those blowdowns are cleared?!? Kudos to the industrious trail fairies. Great job.

Now if we can only get Mother Nature to speed up the snow melt. Shovels, anyone?

April 5, 2009, 1:19 a.m.

Now if we can only get Mother Nature to speed up the snow melt. Shovels, anyone?

You can probably find some salt over on Seymour.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 5, 2009, 9:06 p.m.

got in 2 laps of neds today and checked out bottle top and ridge runner for the first time.

all clear on ridge runner, but bottle top has 2 trees down towards the end.

i came around a right hander and it turned pretty steep heading down along the side of the ravine. As I was focused on launching off a 2-3 ft. drop/washout, i failed to notice the 2 trees across the trail… Just so happend that they were chest height about 10 feet after the landing.

As i grab both brakes i quickly think that i'm about to put the chest plates of my armor to the test! It turned out for the best tho, with about 10-15cm's to spare…

Fun trail that Bottle Top!

April 6, 2009, 12:54 p.m.

Took a look @ Fromme today. My buddy and I hiked up Espresso and rode down Pipeline. Espresso only has one significant blowdown (a fallen tree right at the beginning of the skinny just before the big rock face). The snowline is about half way down the trail. Way too much snow to ride, and frankly, it was a pretty brutal hike.

Pipeline has some brutal blowdown (at least 4 major), including a tree across the rock roller coaster and at the end of the zigzag ladder. Big tools will be required to clear these. The snowline is just above the rock roller, but much of the trail above that is still rideable. The teeter appears to have taken some damage. It now rests the wrong way (i think there was a weight that has now fallen off).

There's also a tree down on the baden powell between pipeline and espresso.

everything was pretty slick, as it was snowing, but we were happy to get up to our favorite mountain. If anybody's planning on heading up to remove the trees, I'd love to help. I'm not handy and I don't have any tools, but I'd be glad to help move the fallen trees, as they're all pretty big.

I retraced your steps. Hike was crappy, ride down pipeline equally as crappy.

Fromme has a good solid month of thaw left in it.

April 6, 2009, 10:20 p.m.

i got in 2 trails on seymor today, neds was great but watch for falling branchs and such, i picked up a few bigger branchs that where laying on the trail.

i also rode pingu and pangor both where pretty clear, the only snow i came in to was right at the start of cork screw and it clears 10 or 20 feet after hitting the trail. also between corck screw and pingu the snow really sucks and you need to get off and walk it but atleast all the trails are clear

also put a flat spot in my rim on my brand new bike on neds, my bottle rocket is damaged crys

April 6, 2009, 11:31 p.m.

i came around a right hander and it turned pretty steep heading down along the side of the ravine. As I was focused on launching off a 2-3 ft. drop/washout, i failed to notice the 2 trees across the trail… Just so happend that they were chest height about 10 feet after the landing.

Yup, those are big ones.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

April 7, 2009, 7:42 a.m.

Took the new xc bike out for a rip on Sunday from Dempsy/Braemar up to Baden, across and rode the stairs of dispair(kind of freaky after not being on my bike since october) down to gate, natural high, headwaters, figure 8 (30 foot section of snow), fishermans, to bridal path(awesome!), old buck to Pangor(awesome just a little water flowing down the middle at the top), bridal path to twin bridges to headwaters and home. Everything is awesome and smooth.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

April 7, 2009, 8:12 a.m.

Took the new xc bike out for a rip on Sunday from Dempsy/Braemar up to Baden, across and rode the stairs of dispair(kind of freaky after not being on my bike since october) down to gate, natural high, headwaters, figure 8 (30 foot section of snow), fishermans, to bridal path(awesome!), old buck to Pangor(awesome just a little water flowing down the middle at the top), bridal path to twin bridges to headwaters and home. Everything is awesome and smooth.

Woo, good loop. Would prolly take me 4 hours, how long for you Dave?

April 7, 2009, 6:11 p.m.

I got out and hit pipeline again today (last time was a week and a half ago). The road was prime all the way up to the trailhead. Still some snow at the top of the trail, but it clears out right after that new woodwork. No fallen trees and the teeter has been fixed (thanks to whoever that was :) )

I meant to take pictures at each switchback, but they were all so clear, i figured it wasn't worth it. I did manage to get a couple pics of the trailhead. The one below is the only one that turned out.

There's no place like fromme

April 8, 2009, 4:12 p.m.

I "rode" Krinkum on Sunday and it was pure snow other than the wood work. Not a great ride. Snow was in full effect until below the third switch back. I guess the west side of the mountain is in better shape than the eastern part probably 'cause it's steeper and gets more traffic. It'll have to be laps of Floppy Bunny or Bob Sled and Natural High!

April 8, 2009, 4:40 p.m.

I "rode" Krinkum on Sunday and it was pure snow other than the wood work. Not a great ride. Snow was in full effect until below the third switch back. I guess the west side of the mountain is in better shape than the eastern part probably 'cause it's steeper and gets more traffic. It'll have to be laps of Floppy Bunny or Bob Sled and Natural High!

East facing slopes also get less sun so snow stays there longer.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

April 8, 2009, 5:32 p.m.

Seymour and Cypress are great !

:canada:

April 8, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

Seymour and Cypress are great !

Yes they are, but are they great to ride now?

Shed head!

April 9, 2009, 10:18 p.m.

so I'm thinking of throwing a bike on the car when I head down to the lower mainland this weekend.

Which mountain has better conditions? kind of sounds like Seymour has more riding right now?

thanks for the heads up.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com