Fromme 2016 Conditions

Dec. 13, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

I'm thinking it might be crusted today. Any info?

Dec. 13, 2016, 3:48 p.m.

what's lower Seymour like, sticks and stones, etc?

I'm thinking it might be crusted today. Any info?

Sorry can't speak to Fromme, but Seymour is crunchy and ok to ride, not as good as Friday though. Harder to maintain traction on the steeper ups. Descent was great.

Rode up Penny Lane / GSM to JD - mostly rideable, I lost traction on a couple steeper bits so had to push (i.e. Christmas Corners)

I preferred option of going up then down as I figured this would be more consistent than Sticks [HTML_REMOVED] Stones. There's a few places on S[HTML_REMOVED]S where trees are bent over the trail from the heavy snow/ice.

There were some downed trees on GSM but those have been cleared.

Watch out for falling things. Heavy snow / ice and changing temps and some trees have uprooted.

Dec. 13, 2016, 6:22 p.m.

Sorry can't speak to Fromme, but Seymour is crunchy and ok to ride, not as good as Friday though. Harder to maintain traction on the steeper ups. Descent was great.

Rode up Penny Lane / GSM to JD - mostly rideable, I lost traction on a couple steeper bits so had to push (i.e. Christmas Corners)

I preferred option of going up then down as I figured this would be more consistent than Sticks [HTML_REMOVED] Stones. There's a few places on S[HTML_REMOVED]S where trees are bent over the trail from the heavy snow/ice.

There were some downed trees on GSM but those have been cleared.

Watch out for falling things. Heavy snow / ice and changing temps and some trees have uprooted.

Thanks!

Dec. 13, 2016, 11:12 p.m.

Fromme - mostly rideable until the 3rd. Kirkford = awesome. Bobsled too but KF more. Ride on top crustiness for much of the way. Trevor may say more - but ride it while it stays frozen. You'll thank me.

Dec. 13, 2016, 11:34 p.m.

Rode Seymour this afternoon, I rode up Old buck, it's possible, just a bit of a grind to maintain your line on the skinny footpath and there's lots of trees down so had to do a bit of bushwacking.. but other than that not too bad. Rode down severed, it was amazing actually! surprisingly grippy, I was drifting through corners but was easy to keep control. I was really discouraged by the climb, but the decent is worth it!

Dec. 14, 2016, 12:50 a.m.

Rode Seymour this afternoon, I rode up Old buck, it's possible, just a bit of a grind to maintain your line on the skinny footpath and there's lots of trees down so had to do a bit of bushwacking.. but other than that not too bad. Rode down severed, it was amazing actually! surprisingly grippy, I was drifting through corners but was easy to keep control. I was really discouraged by the climb, but the decent is worth it!

Interesting, I figured that Old Buck would have been a smarter choice over GSM (though I didn't go all the way up, not quite enough time on lunch break). The unicorn slayer looked after the downed trees on GSM on Sunday. Good to know!

How many trees? Chainsaw required?

Dec. 14, 2016, 9:13 a.m.

I rode up OB last night. Just a good handsaw will fix up the mess but a CS would be quicker. John Deer was good.

:canada:

Dec. 14, 2016, 4:59 p.m.

Rode up this afternoon on the fat bike. Mountain View Park, Lower Griffen to King of the Shore then a lap of Bobsled and back down the same climb route.

The climb was in great shape up to the skidder connector to the parking lot as people have obviously been walking up to that point (and then maybe up Upper Griffen? I didn't check). Three big trees down on the lowest ladder bridge just above the McNair water tower exit.

Bobsled was not in great shape. A few big ruts and no packing at all. Still, rideable. Cam's right that staying on top of the crust and out of the ruts the riding is really good. Kinda wish I'd kept going for Kirkford!

Oh, and a tree down on the 1st switchback.

flickr

Dec. 15, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

^^ back on the shore eh? Ill be back next week, wondering if ill be biking or not.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 15, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

^^ back on the shore eh? Ill be back next week, wondering if ill be biking or not.

It was only a matter of time.

flickr

Dec. 22, 2016, 7:07 p.m.

anyone ridden anything in the last day or two? whats it like?

Dec. 26, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Just got back from a round trip to the 6th switchback…on skis. Not a bad workout. Light and fluffy snow with a bit of a crust. Not steep enough for anything except double-poling on the way down.
I did see a few guys on their bikes (one fat tire…and a handful of regular rigs). Sems to be a compacted track to the 3rd switchback….after that, it's a post-holing push-fest nightmare. Not sure what the actual trails are like aside from Mtn Hwy.

Dec. 26, 2016, 4:45 p.m.

A nice track to climb up mtn hwy all the way to the 3rd switchback, gets tougher beyond there and you're off the bike by the 4th. My buddy and I were feeling adventurous and slogged our way to Crinkum, only to find it unrideable.

After that things improved - Kirkford had tracks and was a fun snow rip down. Then we climbed back up to bobsled and down which was also a good ride all the way down.

To sum up - decent riding to Kirkford and down, including bobsled, beyond that, not worth it. Probably even that won't last though, once the temperatures warm up it's all going to be a slushy mess.

Dec. 26, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

I guess snowshoeing could be a nice option??

Dec. 30, 2016, 5:57 p.m.

Has anyone been up since the last freeze/thaw?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.