Fromme 2015 Conditions

July 29, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

Patience grasshopper….its being roughed in! Rode it today again. I have spoken with a couple of guys that have made it up to executioner in one shot clean. Thats pretty impressive. There are a few tough bits on BP and DW on the way up.

I am in awe of those who can crush that climb in one go, am am confident that I could pull it off someday when the planets align just right, but for it to end where it does, kills me.

I'm pretty sure I worked a trail day on the first sections of this at some point "pre kids", and am very much looking forward to the finished product.

Til then, I'll be a GSM regular!

July 29, 2015, 9:42 p.m.

And it still leads to nowhere!

Look harder.

July 30, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

Speaking of which….Executioner/Dreamweaver were in top-notch form shape last night….and not a person in sight.
The new teeter-totter on Boundary is quite nice.

July 30, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

Patience grasshopper….its being roughed in! Rode it today again. I have spoken with a couple of guys that have made it up to executioner in one shot clean. Thats pretty impressive. There are a few tough bits on BP and DW on the way up.

It is a steep climb eh. Toss in a couple mildly technical bits when you're running out of O2 and it gets challenging. I love it. I know the section that it will connect to and it's not where you would expect. I have been riding that section for many years though and I did show it to certain people who may or not have been NSMBA board members a few years back.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 30, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

It is a steep climb eh. Toss in a couple mildly technical bits when you're running out of O2 and it gets challenging. I love it. I know the section that it will connect to and it's not where you would expect. I have been riding that section for many years though and I did show it to certain people who may or not have been NSMBA board members a few years back.

is the secret to turn right on Executioner? I think I know the route you speak of, still never tried it on a bike yet.

July 30, 2015, 2:17 p.m.

I was quite surprised the last time I rode 7th and saw a new ramp up the big rock. I thought it looked great and pedaled up, remembering the old ramp and line. I quickly hit the brakes when I saw the very steep and committed roll onto the ramp with a second ramp into corner that quickly followed.

This really took me by surprise. Maybe it was simply my first look at it, but, to me, that really looked like a double black line on what is really an easier black trail. Don't get me wrong, I am all for new features, but in this case really need to see it ridden by someone with more skill then me, to see how it rides. Def won't be a test subject on that one.

I first encountered the new rock-roll-ramp on 7th about a week back and also decided to pass.

Today I tried it twice, and got my ass handed to me… It's super committing and quite the challenge, have to go easy on the brakes to transition from the rock to the first ramp without risking going over the bars, but slow enough to maintain traction and control through the turn. Both times I ended up skidding and missing the turn.

This might be my bruised ego (and elbow) speaking… but I do feel that this particular TTF is so much harder and higher consequence than anything else on 7th that it feels a little out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I do love optional challenging features… failure is part of learning yada yada. My thinking is just that in this case the contrast might be too much for such a high-traffic and otherwise low difficulty trail. Thoughts?

Also: Next time I'll get it…

July 30, 2015, 2:19 p.m.

Any updates in terms of when the parking lot will open? Is it on hold until the forest fire risk rating improves?

Still not open, looked like they were doing some landscaping and cleaning up today.

Word is they're aiming to open it for the long weekend. Not sure if that's a good idea in these conditions, but yeah.

July 30, 2015, 2:27 p.m.

This might be my bruised ego (and elbow) speaking… but I do feel that this particular TTF is so much harder and higher consequence than anything else on 7th that it feels a little out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I do love optional challenging features… failure is part of learning yada yada. My thinking is just that in this case the contrast might be too much for such a high-traffic and otherwise low difficulty trail. Thoughts?

Probably ok if it's optional?

July 30, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

I first encountered the new rock-roll-ramp on 7th about a week back and also decided to pass.

Today I tried it twice, and got my ass handed to me… It's super committing and quite the challenge, have to go easy on the brakes to transition from the rock to the first ramp without risking going over the bars, but slow enough to maintain traction and control through the turn. Both times I ended up skidding and missing the turn.

The ride around has not changed. Nobody is forcing anyone to ride it if they don't want and I imagine intermediates aren't going to ride it without looking. To be fair, most people should look at stunts that are new to them anyways.

I've hit my chainring and bashgaurd on it (different bikes)

July 30, 2015, 2:45 p.m.

I thought the Shore was dumbed down only a week or so ago. I can't keep with up with all of this.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 30, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

The ride around has not changed. Nobody is forcing anyone to ride it if they don't want and I imagine intermediates aren't going to ride it without looking. To be fair, most people should look at stunts that are new to them anyways.

I've hit my chainring and bashgaurd on it (different bikes)

I agree, the fact that it's optional means it's not that big of an issue. Maybe you're right that people won't be stupid enough to ride it without looking first… but a marker to indicate hard/easy line wouldn't hurt (yes I know dumbing down blah blah)

Also if you're gonna add one double black TTF to a blue(ish) trail, maybe add some more challenges so it's not so out of place… and make other sections of the trail more interesting for advanced riders.

My 32t ring cleared it, what are you running?

July 30, 2015, 3:28 p.m.

I thought the Shore was dumbed down only a week or so ago. I can't keep with up with all of this.

Spoiler: it'll keep getting dumber! Might as well enjoy the ride…

July 30, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I agree, the fact that it's optional means it's not that big of an issue. Maybe you're right that people won't be stupid enough to ride it without looking first… but a marker to indicate hard/easy line wouldn't hurt (yes I know dumbing down blah blah)

Also if you're gonna add one double black TTF to a blue(ish) trail, maybe add some more challenges so it's not so out of place… and make other sections of the trail more interesting for advanced riders.

My 32t ring cleared it, what are you running?

I have a double so maybe that was the difference?

I should think people can figure out which is the harder and easier line. Usually the on going into the air is harder…

To be fair the trail has kept its character fairly well throughout the years. There was an old stunt over that rock which was somewhat similar. There used to be a few corners that were tougher to clean but they have been widened within the past few years which helps make the trail easier. No need to start adding TTF everywhere or altering the trail alignment to make it harder to match one TTF.

July 30, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

I have a double so maybe that was the difference?

Probably, there's very very little clearance going over that edge… and I can't even imagine doing anything but rolling it :)

I should think people can figure out which is the harder and easier line. Usually the on going into the air is harder…

To be fair the trail has kept its character fairly well throughout the years. There was an old stunt over that rock which was somewhat similar. There used to be a few corners that were tougher to clean but they have been widened within the past few years which helps make the trail easier. No need to start adding TTF everywhere or altering the trail alignment to make it harder to match one TTF.

Good reasoning, I agree.

July 31, 2015, 10:33 a.m.

I was up on Fromme last night [HTML_REMOVED] heard that the parking lot is now open.
I was also told that it is only open until 8:00pm, so make sure you get back in time from those post-work rides.