Fromme 2015 Conditions

July 20, 2015, 5:11 p.m.

I rode Squeaky often. If the chainsaw is not enough, then how did the big rocks get there? Telekinesis? Looks like a bucket to me. I bet it was Grouse. Those rocks were NOT there before and they are heavy. They were not moved by hand, I can assure you. Can't understand why, really. The trail is low impact, short, devoid of features, and offers a nice warm-up. Got to love politics.

July 21, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

When we talked to Grouse last fall they had no issues with this trail. We were surprised to see the trees chainsawed on it early in July which is why we called again to confirm it was not them.

Its been there a long time and its very short and not that steep.

Sounds like the same vandals that were falling trees last summer on another trail(since closed) above the seventh. If I'm not mistaken, did you not post up pics of that vandalism as well?

July 21, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

Any updates in terms of when the parking lot will open? Is it on hold until the forest fire risk rating improves?

July 21, 2015, 11:07 p.m.

Sounds like the same vandals that were falling trees last summer on another trail(since closed) above the seventh. If I'm not mistaken, did you not post up pics of that vandalism as well?

Yes we did, post is here
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=160326

unfortunately the photo links are broken.

The vandalism does seem similar. Also not hiking trail signs were also targeted.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 22, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

The other trails that are not really up there were decommed? I haven't checked them out since last summer. Le sigh

July 22, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

Yes we did, post is here
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=160326

unfortunately the photo links are broken.

The vandalism does seem similar. Also not hiking trail signs were also targeted.

Thanks for the reminder. I rode(walked) through that mess before Lee cleaned it up, didn't realize at the time it was vandalism until you posted it. I remember thinking that whomever fell the trees was lucky to get out of there alive. Not exactly a pro.

A touch worrisome that if indeed it is the same vandals they have moved down the mountain now that the upper trails have been closed.

July 26, 2015, 10:39 a.m.

There's been enough rain to settle things down a bit.

Rode 7th, Leppard, Crinkum, Kirkford, Griffen, Immonator, [HTML_REMOVED] Expresso yesterday…not a patch of dust.
In fact the climb up KOS/Griffen had been a powder fest in the last few weeks, but all that gold dust is back to it's regular ol' stickiness.

Despite all of the rain, the roots [HTML_REMOVED] rocks aren't as slick as one would expect. I had an "Oh Oh" moment as I took the higher wood ramp on Crinkum…expecting to slide at break-neck speed, I was pleasantly surprised at the sticktion of the wood (relatively speaking).

July 27, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

There's been enough rain to settle things down a bit.

Rode 7th, Leppard, Crinkum, Kirkford, Griffen, Immonator, [HTML_REMOVED] Expresso yesterday…not a patch of dust.
In fact the climb up KOS/Griffen had been a powder fest in the last few weeks, but all that gold dust is back to it's regular ol' stickiness.

Despite all of the rain, the roots [HTML_REMOVED] rocks aren't as slick as one would expect. I had an "Oh Oh" moment as I took the higher wood ramp on Crinkum…expecting to slide at break-neck speed, I was pleasantly surprised at the sticktion of the wood (relatively speaking).

Yep, did 7th/Expresso/Dempsey last night, such an improvement from the past few weeks. That new rock drop feature on 7th looks gnarly. Corners on parts of Expresso are pretty blown up from all the traffic and dry weather, makes it a fun challenge to ride though.

July 27, 2015, 2:38 p.m.

Yep, did 7th/Expresso/Dempsey last night, such an improvement from the past few weeks. That new rock drop feature on 7th looks gnarly…/QUOTE]

I was quite surprised the last time I rode 7th and saw a new ramp up the big rock. I thought it looked great and pedaled up, remembering the old ramp and line. I quickly hit the brakes when I saw the very steep and committed roll onto the ramp with a second ramp into corner that quickly followed.

This really took me by surprise. Maybe it was simply my first look at it, but, to me, that really looked like a double black line on what is really an easier black trail. Don't get me wrong, I am all for new features, but in this case really need to see it ridden by someone with more skill then me, to see how it rides. Def won't be a test subject on that one.

This in contrast with Upper Dales on Seymour being too too hard so let's build a sidewalk down and demolish a great technical trail.

July 27, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

I was quite surprised the last time I rode 7th and saw a new ramp up the big rock. I thought it looked great and pedaled up, remembering the old ramp and line. I quickly hit the brakes when I saw the very steep and committed roll onto the ramp with a second ramp into corner that quickly followed.

This really took me by surprise. Maybe it was simply my first look at it, but, to me, that really looked like a double black line on what is really an easier black trail. Don't get me wrong, I am all for new features, but in this case really need to see it ridden by someone with more skill then me, to see how it rides. Def won't be a test subject on that one.

This in contrast with Upper Dales on Seymour being too too hard so let's build a sidewalk down and demolish a great technical trail.

I also passed, the ladder up looks inviting but you can't see anything coming off the back good call to stop and look before leaping. It may even be a chainring drag over the rock into the dodgy turn. Maybe another day. I like the new ramp onto the long log ride, and the down ramp over the other big log.

July 27, 2015, 9:07 p.m.

I rode it and was really sketchy coming down. Had way too much speed. The roll is fine, but then you need to get it under control to make the turn.

It's great to see features like that being built, which aren't necessarily nailed on the first try.

July 28, 2015, 8:03 a.m.

I rode it and was really sketchy coming down. Had way too much speed. The roll is fine, but then you need to get it under control to make the turn.

It's great to see features like that being built, which aren't necessarily nailed on the first try.

Agreed. Great to see new and challenging lines!!!

The position of the first down ramp on rock has got to be a foot lower than I remember the old setup, thus the concern over how steep it is and the getting hung up on the bb. I have a small bash guard, good for up to a 32 tooth ring, and it barely clears pushing the bike over unweighted.

The ramps are look super sturdy and have nice thick cedar slabs so should be able to get the brakes grabbing right away.

Will have to try next time. Would like to see it done first to get a better sense for what it's going to do.

July 28, 2015, 8:50 a.m.

Agreed. Great to see new and challenging lines!!!

Would like to see it done first to get a better sense for what it's going to do.

https://instagram.com/p/5KcNEZrF4j/

July 28, 2015, 9:05 a.m.

That video makes it look so small!

July 28, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

Well, look at that. Ask and you shall receive from the church of NSMB.

Nicely done, makes it looks rather easy. Definitely looks intimidating standing on top of the rock.