Fromme 2015 Conditions

July 13, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

I noticed that a couple technical trail features on Kirkford were removed, including a drop (there was a sign saying "drop!" before) and a fun rock roll made of several successively smaller rocks. While I of course appreciate all the hard work that has been done on the trail, I wish the builder would have preserved these elements of the original trail. My question is who makes the decision to remove these technical features (is it the builder? the NSMBA? the entity that adopted the trail?) and who would I contact if I wanted to provide some constructive criticism on changes to the trail?

July 13, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

I noticed that a couple technical trail features on Kirkford were removed, including a drop (there was a sign saying "drop!" before) and a fun rock roll made of several successively smaller rocks. While I of course appreciate all the hard work that has been done on the trail, I wish the builder would have preserved these elements of the original trail. My question is who makes the decision to remove these technical features (is it the builder? the NSMBA? the entity that adopted the trail?) and who would I contact if I wanted to provide some constructive criticism on changes to the trail?

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 13, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Id suggest contacting the nsmba via their website before the chosen ones tear you apart here.

Pastor of Muppets

July 13, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

Mark I spoke to Peter Morin and he had mentioned work he wanted to do on the trail and it included that section. That was work originally put in by Peter and the NSMBA during trail days we ran in 2002ish era and Peter's reasons included experimenting with dirt instead of rocks (apparently he had to come back to that section fairly frequently plus it got braided. I'll pm you his email address as he doesn't do NSMB. He's always up for a chat but be warned he will talk your ear off!

July 13, 2015, 10 a.m.

Thanks for the info Lee! I can see how a maintenance intensive feature would be annoying for a builder. In general, I find it difficult to determine who is responsible for each trail on the Shore as there are so many stakeholders, and they seem to differ for each mountain, and sometimes for trails on the same mountain.

July 13, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

Id suggest contacting the nsmba via their website before the chosen ones tear you apart here.

[Off-topic]
Do you mean the website that is off-line for the past 15 days without any explanation on facebook, email, twitter, etc. ?

:|

[/Off-topic]

July 13, 2015, 10:11 a.m.

Realize also that 13 year old wood work is also likely rotted and unsafe.

July 13, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

[Off-topic]
Do you mean the website that is off-line for the past 15 days without any explanation on facebook, email, twitter, etc. ?

:|

[/Off-topic]

Site was hacked by a spam bot. No conspiracy. The email is front and center on page if you need / want to contact the NSMBA while it gets fixed.

I thought the fact that it was hacked was shared when we released the info about the Fiver's being postponded, but going back and looking it wasn't. Sorry if this had impacted you.

July 13, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

mmmmm rain :)

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 20, 2015, 2:49 p.m.

FYI,

Squeaky Elbow was vandalized by someone with a chainsaw around July 2nd. We called Grouse Mountain to ask if they had done this, they had not. So it was someone else with a chainsaw.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

July 20, 2015, 3:31 p.m.

FYI,

Squeaky Elbow was vandalized by someone with a chainsaw around July 2nd. We called Grouse Mountain to ask if they had done this, they had not. So it was someone else with a chainsaw.

Interesting. I went up to ride 7th the other day [HTML_REMOVED] bumped into a veteran rider who thought that Squeaky was being closed. Glad to see that it isn't…pissed that it is getting vandalized. If that's the case, I suppose I should pack gardening gloves on my next outing.

July 20, 2015, 3:45 p.m.

It amazes me people waste their energy on idiocy like that. Somebody packed a saw all the way up there just to try to close little ol' Squeaky Elbow. WTF is wrong with these morons?

July 20, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

Interesting. I went up to ride 7th the other day [HTML_REMOVED] bumped into a veteran rider who thought that Squeaky was being closed. Glad to see that it isn't…pissed that it is getting vandalized. If that's the case, I suppose I should pack gardening gloves on my next outing.

It used to be on trailforks, but I see that it is not there anymore. I rode it shortly after the new work was done (thanks!), but not sure of the status now. It was a great option, especially when waiting for the traffic to clear on 7th.

s.

July 20, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

FYI,

I figured it was a result of decommissioning trails above the 7th. Did that not impact squeaky?

July 20, 2015, 5:04 p.m.

I figured it was a result of decommissioning trails above the 7th. Did that not impact squeaky?

When we talked to Grouse last fall they had no issues with this trail. We were surprised to see the trees chainsawed on it early in July which is why we called again to confirm it was not them.

Its been there a long time and its very short and not that steep.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram