Fromme 2015 Conditions

June 30, 2015, 9:22 a.m.

Grannies, Upper Crippler and Bookwus aren't even signed and none of the entrances obvious. Hardly fair to compare them to (new) Expresso.

As for me, my bikes are hanging from the ceiling until it cools down a bit….

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 2, 2015, 8:59 a.m.

Grannies, Upper Crippler and Bookwus aren't even signed and none of the entrances obvious. Hardly fair to compare them to (new) Expresso.

As for me, my bikes are hanging from the ceiling until it cools down a bit….

Bookwus and Grannies both have the older style MEC wooden signs. Only Upper Crippler does not. In fact, its only sign is a T on a tree. But rode all three in the last week and are running awesome. Tacky, fresh and completely rideable.

Again, I stress to fill your boots while you can. If the hot dry conditions continue they WILL shut down the backcountry due to fire hazards, and with the popularity, I suspect it will be sooner than later. Then we will have no choice but to hang up the bikes (unless you consider laps around Stanley Park riding).

July 2, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

Bookwus and Grannies both have the older style MEC wooden signs. Only Upper Crippler does not. In fact, its only sign is a T on a tree. But rode all three in the last week and are running awesome. Tacky, fresh and completely rideable.

Again, I stress to fill your boots while you can. If the hot dry conditions continue they WILL shut down the backcountry due to fire hazards, and with the popularity, I suspect it will be sooner than later. Then we will have no choice but to hang up the bikes (unless you consider laps around Stanley Park riding).

I guess the bike parks will be busier then.

Thread killer

July 2, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

Bookwus certainly doesn't have a sign on MTN Highway. The entrance is reasonably well hidden and IIRC the sign further down the trail is often swung around so people can't see it either.

Grannies - maybe a sign on MTN Highway now? Can't quite remember? Either way, if you follow the skidder down, you'll just end up at the fire hydrant on old Expresso (unless new Expresso has changed that), unless you don't see where to turn off. Certainly isn't an obvious trail to find in the way that that Ladies, Pipeline, 7th etc are. Sure, a trail can have a sign further into it, but it's not much use as a navigational tool if it's not at the trail head.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 3, 2015, 7:35 a.m.

I wonder if the gravel mountain bike meca of Pacific Spirit Park will stay open? prepare for dirty looks from doggie walkers who think they own the place! gasp a person on a bike? Well, I better make it awkward for them to pass me on a "trail" that's wide enough to drive a dump truck down. woof

July 3, 2015, 11:22 a.m.

I wonder if the gravel mountain bike meca of Pacific Spirit Park will stay open?

My guess is no, during the 2003 summer I recall all forested city parks like Pacific Spirit and Delta Watershed were also closed.

Edit, happened in 2009 too:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124805

July 3, 2015, 7:50 p.m.

My guess is no, during the 2003 summer I recall all forested city parks like Pacific Spirit and Delta Watershed were also closed.

Edit, happened in 2009 too:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124805

Wow it was that long ago? I remember the bike park took incredible abuse back then. With the increased numbers now … yikes.

I rode No Quarter to the BP today. The dry weather and BCBR took their toll. Expresso was was also incredibly dry, almost moon dust sand, in places. We need rain. But I'm going to try and get my riding in before they close the forests again. Looks like I chose a good time to take up kiteboarding!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 3, 2015, 8:51 p.m.

I wonder if the gravel mountain bike meca of Pacific Spirit Park will stay open? prepare for dirty looks from doggie walkers who think they own the place! gasp a person on a bike? Well, I better make it awkward for them to pass me on a "trail" that's wide enough to drive a dump truck down. woof

When they close the parks/backcountry they mean ALL users. Including Fido.

July 3, 2015, 8:54 p.m.

I guess the bike parks will be busier then.

No they will not. Shutting down the backcountry means to ALL users, regardless, and Whistler/Squamish would be included, most likely.

I was looking forward to fishing for Pink Salmon this year on the Mamquam, but with low water levels, even that seems unlikely since they just shut down fishing on the North Coast due to water levels.

My concern is how long will this go on…..

July 3, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

And I saw a big pickup truck today with a sticker over the tailpipe - "I support global warming". Good for you jackass.

July 3, 2015, 10:08 p.m.

No they will not. Shutting down the backcountry means to ALL users, regardless, and Whistler/Squamish would be included, most likely.

In 2003 when the ban hit, Whistler Bike Park stayed open. Guessing it's private land?

Parks and all public land shut down.

July 4, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

In 2003 when the ban hit, Whistler Bike Park stayed open. Guessing it's private land?

Parks and all public land shut down.

WB had an irrigation system set up in the bike park that they could use for fire control. I'm guessing they use the snow making water supply system.

July 4, 2015, 8:19 a.m.

I spent considerable time in Northern California, where it's been a lot drier a lot longer, and yet the trails have remained open despite being a potential tinderbox. I guess 'Muricans won't stand for restrictions on their freedom. Granted, MTBrs really get fucked over down there thanks to the hiker and horsey crowd.

July 4, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Lots of new woodwork popping up on the North Shore.

I'm amazing chainsaw use is allowed in these tinder dry conditions. We've been shut down up here for awhile.

Like the new entrance ramp, thank you!

July 5, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Parking lot still not open? Guess fire hazard is preventing finishing touches.