Fromme 2015 Conditions

June 10, 2015, 11:05 p.m.

There was snow at the 3rd switchback this afternoon/evening.

June 10, 2015, 11:12 p.m.

June 11, 2015, 12:04 a.m.

It's not the X-files, I asked. Then I got laughed at…so I carried on.:nolove:

June 11, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

It's not the X-files, I asked. Then I got laughed at…so I carried on.:nolove:

Apparently some film called "Alien Invasion".
Btw…that's the most snow we've had on the 3rd switchback all year!

June 13, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

Cleaning crew was in there yesterday clearing out the 'snow' and other production stuff. Really enjoy the new Kirkford.

June 14, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

Lower trails on Fromme are getting dry [HTML_REMOVED] loose. Higher up, conditions are better. Still some "snow" to clean up at the switchback.

Thread killer

June 16, 2015, 11:23 p.m.

"Snow" was getting a final sweep by production crew on Monday [HTML_REMOVED] was all gone today…Crinkum/Kirkford was a blast!

Rode Ladies this evening [HTML_REMOVED] it was in great shape, though getting very dusty at Big Stupid on downward…thanks to the trail angels for the work on Ladies.

….also noticed that the new parking lot on Mtn Hwy was gettong a final grading….should be ready for paving soon?

June 23, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

Baden Powell between Oilcan and Dempsey is like riding on the moon right now!

Am I wigging out, or did Upper Griffen disappear off Trailforks?

June 25, 2015, 4:56 p.m.

Looks like road work on upper Mountain Highway has made parking impossible.
If you're heading up in the next couple of days [HTML_REMOVED] hope to park up high, expect to spin in granny gear for a few extra minutes.
Wish they would've waited for the new parking lot to open before shutting down the road parking…it's gotta be dang near ready.

June 25, 2015, 5 p.m.

Rode 7th [HTML_REMOVED] Oilcan last night.
As sticky as it'll ever get. 7th had some dusty corners but the log rode well.
The roots [HTML_REMOVED] rocks on Oilcan were cooperative [HTML_REMOVED] it actually had some nice flow to it…bottom was kicking up Whistler-esque dust by the time the 3rd person was going through.

June 28, 2015, 12:17 a.m.

Dry conditions are definitely starting to impact the trails.

The rocky exit after the long log ride on 7th is in rough shape - one of the main rocks armouring the exit line had been knocked loose making for a pretty sketchy line. I put it back in place and tried to wedge it with some smaller rocks and a piece of wood, but the dried out powdery soil wasn't working too well to keep it secure.

June 28, 2015, 4:20 p.m.

Dry conditions are definitely starting to impact the trails.

The rocky exit after the long log ride on 7th is in rough shape - one of the main rocks armouring the exit line had been knocked loose making for a pretty sketchy line. I put it back in place and tried to wedge it with some smaller rocks and a piece of wood, but the dried out powdery soil wasn't working too well to keep it secure.

Rode out of Bookwus and the rock rollover on 7th, which was just fine, now has the rock removed that prevented the G-out and is replaced with soil. Guess what happens when there is no rain. Just like ice. I have not seen Fromme (or the local mountains for that matter) so dry. I suspect if the weather and lack of rain keeps up, we could be VERBOTEN in the backwoods for weeks, maybe even months due to fire hazards. Happened in 2001 (IIRC) and it was 2 months before we were allowed back in.

Noteable as well: the older trails "left to be" like Grannies and Upper Crippler were in awesome shape, tacky and very rideable. All the newer trails with dirt berms and fill in were dustbowls, and very sketchy where the dust buildup was noteable. Bookwus had a small part like this that was sketchy, but good nevertheless. Dirt works well when there is moisture on a regular basis but when you get a drought like we have now, not so good… I hope the weather changes soon.

June 29, 2015, 8:27 a.m.

Noteable as well: the older trails "left to be" like Grannies and Upper Crippler were in awesome shape, tacky and very rideable. All the newer trails with dirt berms and fill in were dustbowls, and very sketchy where the dust buildup was noteable. Bookwus had a small part like this that was sketchy, but good nevertheless. Dirt works well when there is moisture on a regular basis but when you get a drought like we have now, not so good… I hope the weather changes soon.

Very true…rode Upper Crippler on Saturday [HTML_REMOVED] it was in great shape…sticktion on everything!
Can't agree more on the dirt situation….the gold is turning to powder.

June 30, 2015, 8:05 a.m.

Very true…rode Upper Crippler on Saturday [HTML_REMOVED] it was in great shape…sticktion on everything!
Can't agree more on the dirt situation….the gold is turning to powder.

I noticed all the golden bermed trails are getting pretty blown out and dusty. This shouldn't be surprising.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Tapped accessible trails, but this weather shows that the trails that haven't had the technical Tapped out of them do still have a place.

June 30, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the golden dirt, but more with being popular and the volume of riders who are using the Tapped trails, as upposed to the tech trails that dont get nearly the same volume. Beside the Shore is going to get locked down soon anyway. Ride what you can, Poco trail may be the only dirt we get to ride for awhile if we don't get a good amount of rain soon.

Master of Puppets