Fromme 2015 Conditions

May 23, 2015, 8:34 p.m.

I don't know, but maybe that section was re-routed because the bit that was there before was an eroded fall-line baby headed shitfest? As for wagon-wheelers…..fuck em! :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 24, 2015, 8:23 a.m.

I spoke to Pete on multiple occasions before / during / and after the trail work was done. It was rerouted because it was a shitshow and it was only getting/going to get worse. It held water on the trail, you would pull up more rocks just by riding down it, more roots were becoming exposed, the whole thing was a mess in that bottom section.

As far as I know all the ladder skinnies are still there as well as the log ride and Pete has no intention of taking those out.

There was never the intention of "dumbing down" the trail or placating beginners, it was simply a matter of protecting that area of forest from further erosion / destruction.

Do I personally like the new Kirkford? Not really. But I will not demean the well intentioned trail work of a man who has spent more time building on the shore than I have spent riding just because he took out a section of trail that I liked.

May 24, 2015, 8:40 a.m.

… I will not demean the well intentioned trail work of a man who has spent more time building on the shore than I have spent riding just because he took out a section of trail that I liked.

Wish more people thought this way. That is commendable.

As for the section with the linked tight corners, which I assume is what this is all about, this will be sure to start something, but try upping your cornering skills.

I found the corners tight and a bit challenging but had no problem carrying good speed through them and finding flow. Although this was on a 26"er. I'm pretty sure pro ride riders could bust through them at ridiculous speeds.

May 24, 2015, 11:04 a.m.

Do I personally like the new Kirkford? Not really. But I will not demean the well intentioned trail work of a man who has spent more time building on the shore than I have spent riding just because he took out a section of trail that I liked.

I'm pretty much the same. I love the 7th all the way down line, each trail has it's own personality, such a fun ride. When the work started on Kirkford I grumbled, then spent the next few months grumbling. Thought about it, considered the alternatives.
Option 1 - leave the trail as it is, let it erode. Not an option
Option 2 - fix it as it is, also not really an option
Option 3 - re-route it with proper co struction
Option 4 - decommission

Seems to me that the current work preserves a trail, maybe not "the trail" that I used to love, but it is way better than the alternatives. I've also come to just trust that the trail work that is being done around the NS represents the best option available. Do I like it all? Of course not, new Expresso isn't really my style for example, but the north shore overall is the best shape it has ever been in !

May 24, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

I spoke to Pete on multiple occasions before / during / and after the trail work was done. It was rerouted because it was a shitshow and it was only getting/going to get worse. It held water on the trail, you would pull up more rocks just by riding down it, more roots were becoming exposed, the whole thing was a mess in that bottom section.

As far as I know all the ladder skinnies are still there as well as the log ride and Pete has no intention of taking those out.

There was never the intention of "dumbing down" the trail or placating beginners, it was simply a matter of protecting that area of forest from further erosion / destruction.

Pete asked myself and my gf a couple of times about that bottom section and what we thought of it when we would see him when we were riding the trail. Can't help but think he would have asked many people what they thought. Clearly the change was made for sustainability.

In regards to how it sits with the rest of the trail, I actually think the new bottom section is the best part.

May 24, 2015, 9:54 p.m.

I am totally with you on this. I met Pete on the trail the day all of the old school bits were cut out, and I have not been down it since, nor will I. The only reason I go so far down on MOST of my first rides is the wooden meat/features. If we lose that, the whole trail, in my opinion, should be just shut instead of softening its impact for beginner riders. Beginner riders have the Delta Watershed, the Seawall, Espresso, Bobsled and the Bridal Path to ride. Dumbing down everything else to placate the lowest common denominator is not progress, but change for sure, and not change that is going to lead to long term development and sustainability.

It's too bad that you can't enjoy the new Kirkford. It's a very different trail than it used to be but certainly not dumbed down. My new favourite loop when I want to go for a quick ride is up the climbing trail from MVP, up KOTS, down Kirkford then Onto upper and lower Griffin. So fun! Thanks Pete for all the hard work. I really appreciate it.

May 25, 2015, 7:06 a.m.

I have had a few rips from 7th, Leopard, CC, Kirkford then the Griffen set. Great fun. I am also one of those that like some of the old lines that were on 7th and down and have been replaced with the new trails.

I recognize the need for the work as a number of sections were getting pretty nasty with some fall line so not sustainable, but mostly I appreciate the effort put in by Pete in getting this trail back in shape.

Yes, the trail is different and is another type of flow trail, but can really challenge you to rip it clean with no brake slides and push through everyone one of those tight switchbacks. I was thinking the switchbacks it was pretty tight on some of the switchbacks but realized I was following someone on and XL 29r that was flying through it. Learning to ride a trail like this and ride it fast is just another tool in the toolbox. Might not always use it but good to have when needed.

The trail is just a different kind of trail now. When I got to the bottom, I was actually tired from pushing each of the corners, but had a super big grin on my face and let out a few whoops and hollers on the way down.

Thanks again to Pete for his work on this trail and the other buildings efforts all over the trails. We do have it incredibly good.

May 25, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

Reminder from the Trail Conditions Guidelines thread:

If people wish to discuss the merits of a trail, discuss it in the Trail News/Maintenance board.

May 25, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

XL 29er approved. Thanks Pete!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 25, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

XL 29er approved. Thanks Pete!

Sorry your kind isn't welcome here.

I don't know, but maybe that section was re-routed because the bit that was there before was an eroded fall-line baby headed shitfest? As for wagon-wheelers…..fuck em! :D

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 5, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

Had my first ride ever on pink starfish. Blew my socks off. Lots of intimidating, yet rideable stuff. I ended up at a fork, and took a right, which then promptly spun me completely around, yet it was awesome, I would venture to say my most classic fromme day this year, spun around, new trails, old derelict trails, meandering in the duff, pretty sweet stuff. On the other hand, the 30% of the stuff on starfish I didn't ride, I probably will never ride. Hats off.

Looks like someone has been doing some work on starfish, so mad thanks!!

June 8, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

7th is running sweet! I'm loving the flow.

Thanks Peter for all the hard work in meshing old-school jankiness with some rhythm and flow!

June 8, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

7th is running sweet! I'm loving the flow.

Thanks Peter for all the hard work in meshing old-school jankiness with some rhythm and flow!

It sure is! Rode it last night and had a great rip.

It would be cool to see the up and over A-frame/rock feature rebuilt to today's standards though. I used to really like that stunt.

I also noticed that Ladies was closed last night as of 7pm. Is it open already today or will there we ongoing work happening?

June 8, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

Confirmed that Ladies is still signed as "temporarily closed" as of 730pm tonight…if anyone cares.

June 10, 2015, 10:53 a.m.

Did a lap of 7th to Expresso out Dempsey last night. 7th continues to run amazing, thank you Pete and others for the refresh.

I was surprised how blown out some corners on Expresso are (high traffic will do that… but I acutally find it fun) and how dry and dusty it was already especially lower down.