Fromme 2014 Conditions

March 16, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

Did a 7th Secret to Crinkppard Crankford today. Or whatever all those trails are.

Snow becomes deep in open spaces at the 6th and the last few hundred metres is a push, despite seeming like there wouldn't be any snow for the longest time.

First couple hundred metres of 7th is a bit of a sled-fest, but quickly becomes awesome, though completely and utterly wet.

March 19, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

Went up past the 6th switchback on Tuesday then down UOC and Ladies. Near the top, pretty much ever wood structure felt like ice; I slipped on anything with any kind of braking or turn, and even spun the tires a couple times when pedaling straight. Luckily, bails came with minimal damage, and nothing significant (ie. my bike came away unscathed). The wood on Ladies seemed a bit slick too, but I think I was being overly cautious after the events further up.

Still very much worth it.

March 22, 2014, 9:53 a.m.

Went up past the 6th switchback on Tuesday then down UOC and Ladies. Near the top, pretty much ever wood structure felt like ice; I slipped on anything with any kind of braking or turn, and even spun the tires a couple times when pedaling straight. Luckily, bails came with minimal damage, and nothing significant (ie. my bike came away unscathed). The wood on Ladies seemed a bit slick too, but I think I was being overly cautious after the events further up.

Still very much worth it.

for UOC, that was kind of consistant with last fall before the snow…. the wood is pretty slick when it's wet at the best of times.

March 23, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

Any snow on the trails from yesterday?

March 23, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

Yeah, ditto that. Making a little pilgrimage up there tomorrow from Washington; would like to ride Ladies and Pipeline(both times up there previously was snowed in). I read that it was slick up there a few days ago. Any better now? Will report in what I find if no one posts up.

Also, I have the guidebook, but how is the app for the iPhone? Specifically, can it be used without GPS? I won't be able to use data while across the border (very expensive!). Thanks in advance to any replies and to all the hard work that trail workers put in up there.

March 23, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

Also, I have the guidebook, but how is the app for the iPhone? Specifically, can it be used without GPS? I won't be able to use data while across the border (very expensive!).

GPS doesn't need to use data, the only time your GPS should use data is in order to get a faster lock - you should be able to use it without just fine.

March 24, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

GPS doesn't need to use data, the only time your GPS should use data is in order to get a faster lock - you should be able to use it without just fine.

Thanks for that- I did use the app up there today. Great alternative to stuffing the guidebook in the backpack!

Rode Ladies Only today. Dry, except the wood log before the teeter-totter was still slick and damp (my guess is that it's always like that). Had a great time, even though I walked a bit. Great place to be, beautiful forest; had it all to ourselves. BTW, looks like at the Big Stupid
Junction, the Ladies trail is decommissioned- on the map it's still there but what looks like the old trail has logs lying across it? Of course I'm not immune to missing turnoffs :)

March 24, 2014, 8:18 p.m.

yup, you missed a relatively new turnoff to the right before the big stupid.

March 24, 2014, 10:12 p.m.

Anyone know when that new climbing trail is supposed to open?

March 25, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

Thanks for that- I did use the app up there today. Great alternative to stuffing the guidebook in the backpack!

Rode Ladies Only today. Dry, except the wood log before the teeter-totter was still slick and damp (my guess is that it's always like that). Had a great time, even though I walked a bit. Great place to be, beautiful forest; had it all to ourselves. BTW, looks like at the Big Stupid
Junction, the Ladies trail is decommissioned- on the map it's still there but what looks like the old trail has logs lying across it? Of course I'm not immune to missing turnoffs :)

Thanks for buying the book and app! We'll have to update this info.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

March 31, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

went for a hike - everything is very very saturated and could use at least a few days to drain

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 4, 2014, 12:37 p.m.

Is the road up to 7th snow free? Conditions on 7th?

April 4, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

7th was 98% clear last weekend. Tiny bit of snow at the start (first flat strech) and then it's good to go after that.
It was very wet the for most of the top section.

April 5, 2014, 11:37 p.m.

7th was almost entirely free of snow as of today.

April 6, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

Big tree down after the final skinny drop on Digger, too big for my wee Bahco folder anyway. Rest of the trail looks good but I was disappointed to see the long low skinny had been decommissioned, surely too low consequence to be of any concern to anyone?

Grannies is free of blowdown but obviously soaking wet at the moment, I just cleared some twigs off the trail and tried to drain a few of the bigger puddles.

:scotland: