Fromme 2013 Conditions (merged)

March 10, 2013, 10:23 p.m.

ladies only was in great condition today. on the climb up there were only small patches of snow past the 5th switchback that made us have to walk a bit.

March 15, 2013, noon

Afternoon all!
Any new snow on Fromme?

March 15, 2013, 6:36 p.m.

Rode Fromme today.

Bobseld, Ladies, Big Stupid, Natural high. Slick! I may or may not have ended up in the pond on Ladies. Definitely very cold!

Absolutely no snow on any of the trails we rode, and minimal snow on the road up until Ladies. There was snow on the 5th switchback and the road up past Ladies picnic table but another rider said it was only a few hundred feet on the road and it was clear again.

March 16, 2013, 1:56 p.m.

Rode up to Oil Can and only spots that had snow were corner at top of 5 and right at Ladies/Pipeline. At the 4.5k marker looking up the road is clear. Another week of rain like last week and Executioner may be in play. OilCan was clear all the way.

Also, to those working the BP from stairs of despair to gate, good work only problem I see is mtbers are going to be ripping that section now so hikers beware!!

March 16, 2013, 7:25 p.m.

Rode up to Oil Can and only spots that had snow were corner at top of 5 and right at Ladies/Pipeline. At the 4.5k marker looking up the road is clear. Another week of rain like last week and Executioner may be in play. OilCan was clear all the way.

Also, to those working the BP from stairs of despair to gate, good work only problem I see is mtbers are going to be ripping that section now so hikers beware!!

Yep. I passed by a hiker who said the bottom half of 7th Secret is clear. Executioner will likely be rideable by next week if this weather continues.

March 17, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

Went for another spin today. Climbed Peugeot to the road and came out just before St Georges. Last 250m before Executioner is snowed in but is nicely packed and easy to walk. First 100m of Executioner is covered by a few inches of snow. A few blowdowns as well but Executioner is worth the effort now.

March 17, 2013, 5:52 p.m.

cluster of 3 trees down on lower oilcan, about 2/3's the way down, fully blocks the trail, good chance some braids will be pushed in to ride around. chainsaw required, as the biggest approx foot+ diameter.

March 17, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

cluster of 3 trees down on lower oilcan, about 2/3's the way down, fully blocks the trail, good chance some braids will be pushed in to ride around. chainsaw required, as the biggest approx foot+ diameter.

A re-route will be needed. The trees uprooted the trail.

March 17, 2013, 11:18 p.m.

Tree down on Leopard plus some patchy snow at the top. tree is after the bathtub at the top on the rock roller.

Krinkum is good except for a tree down in the new section from last year. I think you can avoid it by taking the old line.

Both trees require chain saws.

Kirkford was being worked on today and is in pretty good shape.

Dug a couple of trenches to get water off the trail on a soupy section of Pipeline.

All in all it was a great week end for riding the armoured trails.

March 18, 2013, 6:54 a.m.

Half inch of snow on my car this morning at top of Lonsdale. Probably not a concern for trails but means upper trails not melting as fast as we'd like.

March 18, 2013, 10:16 a.m.

Went out yesterday (Sunday) - gigantic blowdown on Expresso. It's not even a hike'n'bike, more of a clamber'n'bike. Parts of the trail have been ripped up, mainly up near the top where all the work was done.

On the plus side, the road is rideable to there. I went to the 6th to check it out but it is still pretty snowy.

I met Digger on the BP and had a chat about Expresso and this terrible new "firebreak" the District is planning. They plan to use Lower Ladies for ATV access…I've been out of the loop lately and not paying much attention to anything. Is some kind of resistance to this lousy plan being organised?

March 18, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

Went out yesterday (Sunday) - gigantic blowdown on Expresso. It's not even a hike'n'bike, more of a clamber'n'bike. Parts of the trail have been ripped up, mainly up near the top where all the work was done.

On the plus side, the road is rideable to there. I went to the 6th to check it out but it is still pretty snowy.

I met Digger on the BP and had a chat about Expresso and this terrible new "firebreak" the District is planning. They plan to use Lower Ladies for ATV access…I've been out of the loop lately and not paying much attention to anything. Is some kind of resistance to this lousy plan being organised?

The NSMBA is aware of these plans and have expressed our concerns to the District, specifically about the use of chipped bark mulch on trails and motorized access to the site via mountain bike trails. Similar work is currently underway in the Hyannis area. We attended the public information session, provided written input to District staff, and arranged a meeting on-site to discuss our concerns. We will be monitoring how the work at Hyannis proceeds, which will give us an indication of how concerned we need to be about the work proposed for Lower Fromme.

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

March 18, 2013, 3:46 p.m.

At the bottom of Lower Crippler on Fromme probably 5 min walk in from the road the is a long skinny tree across the berms near the bottom of the trail. Could someone cut it if they are in the area with a chainsaw I'll move the chunks after.

I would myself but A I don't have a chainsaw and B I don't know how to use one lol

March 18, 2013, 4:59 p.m.

MEC sells a foldable BOWSAW they make short work of smaller trees , i have a small $10 bowsaw i bought a while back and it has been very usefull for clearing blow downs and such .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 18, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

A fire break involves removing all combustible material for about a 20 foot wide path. This means trees, bush dead wood. Everything except dirt. Talk about mass destruction. Talk about ugly.
It will make a great road to take your dirt bike on!:fruit:

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!