Fromme 2013 Conditions (merged)

Jan. 31, 2013, 10:37 p.m.

So provided the temperatures stay up and rain keeps falling, we should have pedal access to the trails above the 5th pretty soon. Is anyone else really looking forward to that? Because I am.

flickr

Jan. 31, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

Not me, im hoping the snow comes back and closes down the mountain down so old Frommie can continue its nap.

So provided the temperatures stay up and rain keeps falling, we should have pedal access to the trails above the 5th pretty soon. Is anyone else really looking forward to that? Because I am.

Feb. 1, 2013, 12:59 a.m.

Give us but one lap, oh gods of winter…

flickr

Feb. 1, 2013, 1:26 p.m.

Or I suppose similar to the thinned out areas along mtn highway between 2nd and 3rd.

I believe those clearings were done for other reasons that fire fire risk reduction. I believe it was to replicate a more natural phenomenon in an attempt to help the forest actually become more natural. The second and third growth up there is mostly one species which is not natural or particularly healthy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 3, 2013, 6:26 p.m.

Lower Fromme is unreal right now! The dirt was so perfect on Ladies, Lower Skull, BP, Dempsey.

There's still that massive down treed area between Bart's Bridge and the Heron Pond…but other than that it was great!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

Feb. 5, 2013, 3:53 p.m.

Is it worth it to push in the slush to get to the trails on the forth switch back. Is the snow melted on the trails?????
I love this lil fruity bouncin dude weeeeeeeee:fruit:

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Feb. 5, 2013, 6:55 p.m.

Is it worth it to push in the slush to get to the trails on the forth switch back. Is the snow melted on the trails?????
I love this lil fruity bouncin dude weeeeeeeee:fruit:

I rode Ladies on Saturday and it was pretty much as described in the report from last week - snow for a really short bit at the top but clear once you reach the old saw sign. Definitely worthwhile. Just watch out the for the downed trees others have mentioned.

Also, the road getting up there wasn't too much of a slog. There's snow from the 5th SB to the entrance of Ladies where I had to push my bike, but it wasn't too bad. Otherwise it was mostly clear other than some patches around the 3rd and 4th switchbacks.

Feb. 7, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

to whom it may concern,

To those guys pushing their dh rigs up bobsled, please push your bike up the main road. Trail sign clearly states it's one way.

Please and thank you

Feb. 7, 2013, 6:49 p.m.

Holy crap it was greasy this afternoon. There was a dusting of snow that made things pretty interesting at the water tower to Baden Powell level. Higher up it was actually melted off, probably a temperature inversion preserving the snow lower down. I ate it pretty hard coming off Pipeline onto the boardwalk and again after the Stairs to Dispair ramp on BP. That spot always scares me and today my nightmares came true.

Pipeline's in good shape. The top has a bit of blowdown but it's been cleared to the point of being rideable uninterrupted. The optional woodwork lower down is closed.

Mountain highway can be pedaled to the 5th SB now, and again from the 5th SB to the entrance of Ladies pretty much. There's a bunch of snow at the 5th SB itself that I had to push through. The trees across Mountain Highway have now been cleared.

Feb. 7, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

Holy crap it was greasy this afternoon. There was a dusting of snow that made things pretty interesting at the water tower to Baden Powell level. Higher up it was actually melted off, probably a temperature inversion preserving the snow lower down. I ate it pretty hard coming off Pipeline onto the boardwalk and again after the Stairs to Dispair ramp on BP. That spot always scares me and today my nightmares came true.

Pipeline's in good shape. The top has a bit of blowdown but it's been cleared to the point of being rideable uninterrupted. The optional woodwork lower down is closed.

Mountain highway can be pedaled to the 5th SB now, and again from the 5th SB to the entrance of Ladies pretty much. There's a bunch of snow at the 5th SB itself that I had to push through. The trees across Mountain Highway have now been cleared.

yeah, when i got there around 1 it started to hail for good hour or so

Feb. 8, 2013, 11:05 a.m.

so any chance u could push up to 7TH and actualy be able to ride once inside the forest canopy ??

or waste of time ?

Feb. 8, 2013, 1:36 p.m.

^^ I'd be pretty surprised. 7th is barely lower than bottom chair at grouse and they have a couple meters base

greasy cuz no one's been riding I suppose. The old crotchety hikers and monicas must love when the road is snowed in

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 8, 2013, 3:54 p.m.

ima risk it and head up tomorow..

guess we'll see just how much the snowline fights us..

Feb. 8, 2013, 7:59 p.m.

hit bobsled today after work for a rip, only chance to ride this whole weekend. Trail was in good shape with only a couple puddles.

Clunking is for retards.

Feb. 8, 2013, 8:04 p.m.

I wouldn't bother riding to 7th. It's safe to assume the road will be snow almost all the way from the bottom of the trail (Leppard/Expresso). Best off hiking right up the trail if you really want to see what it's like.

flickr