Eagle Ridge Expedition

Sept. 12, 2008, 8:59 p.m.

I was reading up on IMBA's "Epic Trails" and found this one. Has anyone ridden it? Is it still rideable? Is it anything like they describe?

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Sept. 12, 2008, 9:20 p.m.

there's no mention of which actual trails they rode or when the article was written so it's hard to say. with all the development that's taken place up there it's a good chance that the trail they're talking about no longer exists. however, there is a ton of great riding to be had on eagle if you know where to look and can handle the climb/hike up.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 12, 2008, 10:11 p.m.

It looks like they started in Belcarra and climbed up what used to be the backyard trails and on up to Massage, then down all the way through Academy then likely around Bunzten to Sasamat and back to Belcarra. Definitely an epic route, the only trails that aren't there anymore is the backyard climbing trail, although I'm not too sure of the trail from Bunzten to Sasamat.

You could find out for sure by contacting Joan Jones http://westcoaststyle.net/WCSMB_Website/2002/contact.html

None of the bikeshops mentioned in the article even exist any more.

Sept. 12, 2008, 10:11 p.m.

Interesting writeup. Not sure if it was clear in the article, but some of those pics are from other places. I saw images of Buntzen (Lakeview Trail) and the Woodlot (Krazy Karpenter, yes, with 'K's) in thereā€¦

If you don't know where you're going on Eagle, I'd recommend getting a local to show you around. I hear Synchro is an expert.

Woodlot Gold (then):

Woodlot Gold (now):

So, yeah, old story and old photos.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Sept. 13, 2008, 7:46 a.m.

most of the shit on eagle is all fallen apart and the lower stuff built over. such a shame.

Sept. 13, 2008, 4:32 p.m.

Not eveything is fallen apart, someday i'll take my camera up to take some shots of what's been built recently. The torcc site's gallery has a few pics of some new stuff.

Sept. 13, 2008, 5:13 p.m.

I think someone's e-sarc meter was turned off.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 13, 2008, 5:29 p.m.

There's a gallery with pictures of the trail work dated 2000. I was surprised to find an IMBA "epic" trail so close to home that I'd never heard of. It's too bad that it didn't come to anything. I pictured a ridge ride going up above Massage and the Dentist back along Indian Arm.

Thanks for the help though.

Sept. 13, 2008, 5:57 p.m.

There's a gallery with pictures of the trail work dated 2000. I was surprised to find an IMBA "epic" trail so close to home that I'd never heard of. It's too bad that it didn't come to anything. I pictured a ridge ride going up above Massage and the Dentist back along Indian Arm.

Thanks for the help though.

I hear the powerlines are pretty epic.. at least that's what Synchro tells me.

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 13, 2008, 9:26 p.m.

I rode Eagle in April and was blow away by the trails. I was shown around by some locals and rode a bunch of trails but the one that really stands out is the dentist. Like pretty much anywhere, best to get someone that knows their way around to show you the trails.

Sept. 13, 2008, 11:33 p.m.

If I remember right that was two days of riding. The event was organized by Joan Jones I think. The Woodlot on one of the days, and I think Belcara/ Burratrd Thermal plant on the other ride. There was a trailday on the Buntzen Switchback trail with Digger and a host of others.

Sept. 14, 2008, 7:54 a.m.

If I remember right that was two days of riding. The event was organized by Joan Jones I think. The Woodlot on one of the days, and I think Belcara/ Burratrd Thermal plant on the other ride. There was a trailday on the Buntzen Switchback trail with Digger and a host of others.

You're right. The gallery is here.

Sept. 14, 2008, 9:36 p.m.

I rode Eagle in April and was blow away by the trails. I was shown around by some locals and rode a bunch of trails but the one that really stands out is the dentist. Like pretty much anywhere, best to get someone that knows their way around to show you the trails.

Pretty much the best trail I know of. :agree:

Sept. 14, 2008, 10:23 p.m.

Pretty much the best trail I know of. :agree:

I hear a guy with a pretty orange bike took it over and then, abandoned it, is this true?

Sept. 14, 2008, 11:17 p.m.

I hear a guy with a pretty orange bike took it over and then, abandoned it, is this true?

Better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved?