Cypress 2014 Conditions

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

There's a future for recreational trails on Cypress. The question is what shape that future will take. That's why we're asking for bikers to attend any one of the 3 Open Houses and let DWV and BPP know that there's still strong interest and support for the trails.

Consider the known facts:
1 - The land manager is concerned about liability risks.
2 - DWV is willing to take responsibility for the trails.
3 - Development above the 1200' contour is restricted.
4 - Cypress Village will need customers.
5 - Mtn bikers have considerable disposable income.

There is potential for a win-win-win solution between DWV, BPP [HTML_REMOVED] mtn bikers. But there are risks with the current situation.

We want to encourage all parties to move forward as quickly as possible and identify areas for recreational trails. That's the message that should be heard loud and clear at the open houses.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:16 p.m.

2 - DWV is willing to take responsibility for the trails.

This is huge if it's true.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

Alan,
I've recently become aware of what some of the developers around Vancouver have done with negative feedback from the community at public forums. Basically hiding negative feedback, not properly informing the public or the council while just showing pro-development comments.

The series of public forums from last year, are you comfortable with the information that was passed on? Were the trail users fairly, and those with concerns properly represented? I think we need to ensure our voice and the others with suggestions/concerns is not just heard but properly documented and the public educated.

Do we as a group of riders need to get together as one large voice instead of being a bunch of fragmented voices? Has NSMBA (again i apologize, i wasn't able to make the meeting) committed to assisting?

I will defiantly be in attendance for this upcoming round.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:33 p.m.

Kever, I'm glad you asked. I can provide references for ALL The facts!!

When the Rodgers Creek Area Development Plan was passed by Council, the section of Sex Boy below 1200' became part of a development area and fell outside the Occupiers Liability Act, which has considerable protection for land owners granting access to undeveloped lands for trails. Because of the lack of protection, BPP would be strongly motivated to close the trail.

To remedy this, part of the ADP included BPP granting DWV temporary rights-of-way to the section of Sex Boy below 1200'. Eventually that area will be developed, but by then a new area for trails will be identified and the bottom section will be re-routed away from housing and into the Cypress Village area.

In short, DWV assumed responsibility for the bottom of Sex Boy until a new area for trails is found.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

These Open Houses are being run by DWV, not the developer. There's lots of knowledgeable citizens on the ULWG. Talk to them at the Open Houses. They will be making policy recommendations to Council.

Mtn bikers are being heard. I'm on the ULWG. DWV Planning still talks about the Rodgers Creek Open House where mtn bikers filled the room. Participation matters!

The NSMBA has been very supportive and gave an excellent presentation to the WG last year.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Open Houses. Thanks coming out and having your voice heard.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

Just to add to Alan’s comments, in addition to the nsmba, the cypress trail builders have also been invited to participate in this discussion and gave a short presentation to the Upper Lands Working Group (ULWG) last summer. Trail building on cypress is somewhat “underground” but the working group is very interested in our perspective. Please message me if you have any concerns regarding this. Or if you are a builder, would like to add something to the discussion with the ULWG.

Feb. 18, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

….cypress trail builders have also been invited to participate in this discussion and gave a short presentation to the Upper Lands Working Group (ULWG) last summer. Trail building on cypress is somewhat “underground” but the working group is very interested in our perspective…

Wow, I didn't know this. Very positive!

Feb. 19, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

We are lucky to be able to ride. Yes, the future will bring changes, be part of positive advocacy of what you would like to have happen and go to the meetings:

http://nsmba.ca/cypress-upper-lands-working-group

The past is past.

Feb. 21, 2014, 9:08 p.m.

Just in time for the weekend, maps of Cypress are available here on the West Van web site.

Cypress riders and builders will want to look at Map 1: Property Ownership [HTML_REMOVED] Trails. It's a 2.3 MB PDF, so don't expect snappy screen refresh!

Map 6 - Slope is kind of interesting. It shows in green the less steep areas between the 1st and 2nd switchbacks.

I'm not saying that those areas are appropriate for housing, but I will say that if you want to keep them green, tell West Van Planning at one of the Open Houses.

[INDENT]Open House #1
Wednesday, February 26
4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Gleaneagles Club House (The golf course clubhouse, not the Community Centre!)
6190 Marine Drive

Open House #2
Thursday, February 27
4 – 8:30 p.m.
West Vancouver Community Centre
Interactive Workshops at 5 and 7 p.m.
(on hour each)

Open House #3
Tuesday, March 4
4 – 8:30 p.m.
West Vancouver Community Centre
Interactive Workshops at 5 and 7 p.m.
(on hour each)[/INDENT]

Feb. 27, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

Just a reminder that the first working group is at 5pm tonight at west van community center.

Feb. 27, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

Aiming to get there for the 7pm workshop tonight

Feb. 27, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

Aiming to get there for the 7pm workshop tonight

Good idea. The sessions are at 5 PM and 7 PM.

I think there's about 30 clickers available. If the sessions are full, the last ones are on Tuesday March 4.

See you at the West Van Community Centre, 2121 Marine Drive at 21st St.

Feb. 27, 2014, 1:14 p.m.

…clickers…

I'm intrigued…

Feb. 27, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

Good idea. The sessions are at 5 PM and 7 PM.

I think there's about 30 clickers available. If the sessions are full, the last ones are on Tuesday March 4.

See you at the West Van Community Centre, 2121 Marine Drive at 21st St.

Alan
What are the clickers?
If session full tonight how do we get our voice heard? I can't make one next week but was planning on attending tonight.
Thanks!

Feb. 27, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

I assume this is what is meant by clickers?
http://www1.iclicker.com/