Cypress 2014 Conditions

Jan. 30, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

i don't need to take a chill pill and am not "so sensitive" as you suggest. i just feel it's important to make a note of the history for exactly the reason you stated - that you're without it, as are many others.

sorry if you got the impression i was ripping on you in particular, that wasn't the case.

and the fact correction was my error. you got the notes right, i gave the wrong dates at the meeting.

Got it! Cheers!

Jan. 30, 2014, 8:49 p.m.

Where's the camp fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA

We have a consensus.

Great jobs done by many people at different times to get the trails to where they are today. Without key people stepping up when they were needed, the trails would be nothing but ditches by now.

The jobs not finished yet. Hopefully it never will be. Get off your butt and help with the trails. Ride your bike too!

Speaking of which, has anyone ridden Cypress recently?

Jan. 31, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

The last two weekends have been better than summer conditions on the trails!

Jan. 31, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

A dusting of snow overnight. Snow on the roads and to the trail head, but trails are clear. Stick to the dirt. The wood is deadly.

Feb. 3, 2014, 5:33 p.m.

Yes, trails are sweet. Actually had dirt stuck in my knobs after Cypress Sunday. Not mud, not crud but nice summer loving dirt. Looked, smelled and tasted like dirt.
Some slippy snow/ice at top but nothing to worry too much about…

Feb. 3, 2014, 7:33 p.m.

As someone just getting used to super steeps and large jumps / drops, what are some of the less intense trails on Cypress? I've done most of Fromme and a bunch of Seymour, want to try some bigger stuff.

Feb. 3, 2014, 8:16 p.m.

Mystery DH, Roaches. All good thaaad.

Feb. 4, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

Thank you sir!

Feb. 6, 2014, 10:57 p.m.

The Upper Lands Working Group has set the dates for Open Houses for public outreach.
They want to know what the public values about the entire Upper Lands, all the way out to Horseshoe Bay.

You'll want to attend one of the interactive workshops. There will be 2 workshops on both Feb 27 and March 4.
[INDENT]Open House #1
Wednesday, February 26
4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Gleaneagles Club House
6190 Marine Drive

Open House #2
Thursday, February 27
4 – 8:30 p.m.
West Vancouver Community Centre
Interactive Workshops at 5 and 7 p.m.
(on hour each)

Open House #3
Tuesday, March 4
4 – 8:30 p.m.
West Vancouver Community Centre
Interactive Workshops at 5 and 7 p.m.
(on hour each)[/INDENT]

More info will follow. There'll be some pretty awesome maps showing trails and land ownership.

Use this flyer to spread the word.

Feb. 7, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

Thanks for posting this Alan. I was considering writing up a petition to collect signatures of mountain bikers who come each night, something that basically says we'd like continued and legal access to the land for bike recreation, that mtb trails be considered during development, and we'd like the ability to maintain and modify trails to enhance longevity and safety. If this is a truly democratic process, the group with the most votes wins. At the very least it shows our strength in numbers. Any thoughts?

Feb. 7, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

There'll be some pretty awesome maps showing trails and land ownership.

Hi Alan: do you have links for these? Or PDF you could PM to me?

Thanks

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

I'll post links to the maps as soon as they're on the DWV website.

I wouldn't worry about a petition, Kever. It's not a numbers game. They know there's a demand for recreational trails, both hiking and biking, and they'll be part of recommendations.

Mountain bikers need to be heard, but they don't need to drown out the other voices. Show up. Talk to people. Be respectful.

Feb. 7, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

I'll post links to the maps as soon as they're on the DWV website.

I wouldn't worry about a petition, Kever. It's not a numbers game. They know there's a demand for recreational trails, both hiking and biking, and they'll be part of recommendations.

Mountain bikers need to be heard, but they don't need to drown out the other voices. Show up. Talk to people. Be respectful.

10-4 will do.

Feb. 9, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

Some further docs:
http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/gov/docs/Committees-Groups/working-groups/upper-lands/additional-documents/OCP_-_UPPER_LANDS_POLICY_SECTION_7_0.pdf

Feb. 10, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

Useful Map for understanding the significance of the meeting Alan flagged up earlier re: Upper Lands on Cypress(warning 16Mb PDF!)

http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/gov/docs/Committees-Groups/working-groups/upper-lands/additional-documents/1%20-Topographic.pdf

As some of you may know, British Pacific Properties own huge chunks of land up to the 1200 foot contour line and some of this is already under development (Rodgers Creek). The 1200 foot contour line runs approximately half way between the first and second switchback on the Cypress Bowl Rd.
There is a proposal to modify this 'rule' [for want of a better term!] and actually develop some of the 'Upper Lands' (ie build houses, schools, other infrastructure) higher than this.
A proposal called the "1200 foot contour variation" would actually extend development in some areas up to +2200 foot contour and the linked map shows that area - which happens to be everything from 5th Horseman east to Shore Play
The proposal shows "potential development" up to the 750m countour line which is considerably above the third switchback so would also affect SGS.
(Note: my knowledge of Cypress trails is a bit sketchy [and out of date]. The map has a lot of trail data on it but the trails aren't named)

Alan (or anyone else in the know) - please feel free to correct me if that map is out of date or I've misunderstood.