Cypress 2014 Conditions

Jan. 29, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

With some recent dismantling apparently "not" by BPP it appears actions are being taken to please BPP. How far will this go? It's great that AlanB is taking steps to work on a solution and street cred his way. But has the towel been thrown and actions now one sided and geared towards only pleasing BPP? Little info is being communicated to the riders/biking community.

It now appears things need to be brought attention to the entire community. Word on the street bigger changes are imminent…loss of trails and structures. Do we wait until changes impact the biking community and remain silent? Is there a media opportunity here to inform the public? Perhaps this will encourage BPP to change its position?

BPP has been communicating changes in their policies. The communication to the builders has been sidetracked by dealing with the structures on NNL. Once the builders know what's up, the public will know next.

As of this year, BPP is closing down new trails. They're blocking them and covering the entrances with brush ASAP. No complaints from me on this. We can't build trails all over the place. BPP has always asked for a moratorium on new trails until a plan for the area is in place. Maintenance is okay, including minor re-routes.

What I'm hearing is that a new entrance to Sex Girl was built. This is good. The old entrance was less than ideal.

It sounds like the new entrance was mistaken for a new trail. This is not good. Reroutes should be okay. This can be resolved.

A volunteer will be on-site to check out the entrance to Sex Girl. Once we know what's going on we'll be contacting BPP to get this straightened out.

Thanks for using this forum to let everyone know what's going on on Cypress, but please keep the speculation down. It doesn't help.

Jan. 29, 2014, 3:13 p.m.

Thanks for the clarification Alan!!

Jan. 29, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

British Properties is the landowner. They have made an incredible amount of money from their initial investment. As a business leader in our community, it would be nice for them to give a little back to the community.

They do give back. They also want mountain biking to add to the recreational vibe in the new Cypress Village. And keep the pub busy. ;)

You'll have the opportunity to tell West Vancouver what you want for bike trails on Feb 26, 27 and Mar 4. Details to follow.

Jan. 29, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

Thanks for the clarification Alan!!

Aye - trailfairy is grateful for those who bang their heads against the brick wall for the good of all

Lee Lau

Jan. 29, 2014, 6:54 p.m.

NSMBA AGM dude - were you there?

I wasn't able to make it to the AGM but would really like to see the meeting minutes and read what was discussed about Cypress.

Jan. 29, 2014, 7:11 p.m.

Why is BPP up at the entrance of Sex Girl anyways???? What happened to this:

"BPP has a right to develop below 1200'. Fortunately the bulk of the bike trails are above 1200' and on steep land. They would make valuable community concessions. This should be a win-win situation."

Jan. 29, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

Why is BPP up at the entrance of Sex Girl anyways???? What happened to this:

"BPP has a right to develop below 1200'. Fortunately the bulk of the bike trails are above 1200' and on steep land. They would make valuable community concessions. This should be a win-win situation."

The Upper Lands Working Group will publish a map shortly that overlays trails, land ownership, the 1200' contour and the possible 1200' variation. A link to it will be posted here when it's available.

Get out and tell DWV what you think on Feb 26, Feb 27 or Mar 4.

Jan. 29, 2014, 8 p.m.

The Upper Lands Working Group will publish a map shortly that overlays trails, land ownership, the 1200' contour and the possible 1200' variation. A link to it will be posted here when it's available.

Get out and tell DWV what you think on Feb 26, Feb 27 or Mar 4.

Alan thank you for the insight and work. Are you doing this Cypress work on a volunteer basis on behalf of the mountain biking community? or are you financially supported by another group or company?

Jan. 29, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

Alan thank you for the insight and work. Are you doing this Cypress work on a volunteer basis on behalf of the mountain biking community? or are you financially supported by another group or company?

Volunteer. It gets awkward when my wife asks why I do this. ;)

Update from today's site visit:

The new entrance is still there just as it was last week. I’m not sure what everyone is complaining about. I only hiked to where the old entrance and new entrance connect though.

So what's the issue?

Jan. 29, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

So what's the issue?

everything on the internet is true.

and branches and logs can be moved.

Jan. 29, 2014, 11:22 p.m.

ffs - this site is such a joke. Internet whiners are such a joke. You NNL builders are a joke

Lee Lau

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:14 a.m.

nvrmnd

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 30, 2014, 12:28 a.m.

This is my understanding

BPP wants no new trail and no new structures.

They talked directly to the builders about 2, 3 years?? ago.

Builders want structures and new trails and put them in

BPP is, no doubt not pleased (speculation here)

Cypress builders on this board - your turn to let me know if any of this is not the case.

Older trails, older structures aren't affected

1994canucks - AlanB is the person most involved. Communicate with him directly on how to help if you want to make a difference.

When I started maintaining trails at cypress it was 2012 and there was relatively few restrictions it seemed. In spring 2013 a representative from BPP met with the builders and requested that no new trails or structures be built. Re-routes were deemed ok. As far as i know no new structures or trails have been built on the BPP land around cypress since that meeting, although some structures have been rebuilt and some re-routes built. Some structures were modified to reduce risk.

Recently a much needed reroute to the sex girl entrance was rebuilt and included a small jump. Someone tore down the jump, but the new entrance is completely rideable last time I was up there. Some trails need work including the one near brutis but I think some builders have moved on to greener pastures. Personally I don't have the time to contribute as much as I used to.

What cypress needs is a few people to step up and repair any unsafe structures, mitigate some erosion and drainage issues, just do general trail maintenance. The more the mountain bike community shows interest and support for these trails, the more likely we are to be able to continue to ride them in the future. We also need to show up at those community meetings en mass perhaps armed with a signed petition to maintain access to the trails. Yes it is their land to develop but mountain bikers need a voice and we need numbers if we are going to maintain trail access.

Jan. 30, 2014, 6:47 a.m.

ffs - this site is such a joke. Internet whiners are such a joke. You NNL builders are a joke

But you are so cool for your non-specific hating! Thanks for showing us the way! The world needs more hate It's so productive.

How is 'this site' such a joke because of anything in this thread? Sorry! What am I thinking? Making your hate specific could limit your scope and impact your coolness. So cool you are!

Keep up the great work Alan! You are a hero in the west van trenches!

Jan. 30, 2014, 8:08 a.m.

Hey 1994 remember when you texted me about the NSMBA AGM and I ended up going, and you could not since you were helping a friend move she had better been hot and given you a ride on her bed since all of your concerns of how and what and why and who would have been answered at the NSMBA AGM. In fact this conversation was first on the floor.

RE: Trailfairy All, ignore it. Just review all of the postings via their profile and you see that there is nothing ever added to the conversation. So why converse? Just ignore the noob.