Cypress 2013 Conditions

July 23, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

This seems like a good oppourtunity to remind builders and potential builders on cypress to get in contact with someone who knows what's going on behind the scenes before building. Decisions are better made as a group.

Also, BPP has requested that no new trails get built on their land. They do not to my knowledge have any problem with maintaining existing trails.

July 24, 2013, 7:21 a.m.

He'll feel better if he tries this fix for a stuck caps lock.

^^^ Nice, cracked me up, or should I say, CRACKED ME UP!

Times are tight for getting on the hill right now but if something can be planned for an upcoming evening or weekend I would do my best to lend a hand. I agree we need to keep these issues under control, to much time/work has been invested to let it slide away now due to a few peoples bad attitudes or lack of direction.

July 24, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

it won't be as easy as dragging deadfall in, or dropping dead trees. If they've cleared it once, they'll likely do it again.

Any ideas?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 24, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

There's been no contact from the builder despite polite signage with my contact info being posted this year and last.

Cypress builders have been asked but no one knows who's responsible for this. A number of them have volunteered to help thoroughly decommission the trail because it runs through the Conservancy.

Signs advising of the closure will be posted before and after. West Van will also put up a trail closed sign. As always, signs will have my contact info.

The support from the local riding community has been amazing. :rocker:

July 28, 2013, 10:57 p.m.

Have to agree with both AlanB and grumpy. Obviously the awareness needs to be raised that no trails are to be built through the conservancy. If we as a mountain bike community can take care of decommissioning this ourselves, it would be best. Any volunteers?

Mathew

I have time and the resources in the next 4 weeks to help with this. If NSMBA or AlanB wants to get in touch, shoot me a pm.
Thanks,
Ash

Aug. 13, 2013, 8:33 a.m.

It's on. Saturday morning, Aug 17, a small group will be rehabilitating the trail through the Old Growth Conservancy.

Any assistance would be appreciated. The more bodies, the faster we can get this done. Bring rakes, shovels and implements of destruction. I'll bring the refreshments.

PM me for details.

Aug. 14, 2013, 8:50 p.m.

Did roach hit today with a good crew… Holy crap is it ever punched. Loose dirt with rocks strewn around in the steep bits. SOMEONE needs to give it a good rake hehehe. Jumps are fine but a little sandy. The rest of cypress is running well though.

Aug. 17, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

It's done. The rogue trail through the Old Growth Conservancy is decommissioned. Thoroughly decommissioned. :dead: :dead: :dead:

The trail never had much flow to begin with. Now it has even less with many, many branches dragged across it and several logs spiked into stumps blocking the path. The entrance is so blocked off that I dread the thought of going back in to take after photos.

Many thanks to Kever and Doug for their help today. Thanks to West Van Parks for the sign and support. Thanks also to the mountain biking community for your support to keep trails out of the OGC.

Aug. 17, 2013, 11:03 p.m.

^Thanks for keeping the peace with the Land Honchos.

Sept. 20, 2013, 8:13 p.m.

Single Lane Traffic has been cut in two by a new BPP road. Not too dangerous, you'll see it, BPP has flagged it too. You can cross over and pick up the trail again. It's a nasty foreshadowing of what is to come though I guess.

Oct. 28, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

Nice job on the new tranny on the rock drop of Roach hit! Caught me a bit by surprise (was going way too slow to clear the new "gap") and had to dismount. I was trying out the new trendy backfacing gopro so it turned out to be quite the amusing shot… For the interested:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/337464/ @ around 2:40

Oct. 28, 2013, 5:41 p.m.

Oct 26 had to be the best day I've ever had on Cypress.

Nov. 11, 2013, 7:49 p.m.

Nice job on the new tranny on the rock drop of Roach hit! Caught me a bit by surprise (was going way too slow to clear the new "gap") and had to dismount. I was trying out the new trendy backfacing gopro so it turned out to be quite the amusing shot… For the interested:

Nice mustache dude, got a movember page yet? Creative dismount too, that's probably the first and only time someone will 180 that drop. I hit all the jumps today on my enduro bike, I'm pretty stoked that they are now smooth enough to hit on something less than a full dh rig.

Nov. 12, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

Nice mustache dude, got a movember page yet? Creative dismount too, that's probably the first and only time someone will 180 that drop. I hit all the jumps today on my enduro bike, I'm pretty stoked that they are now smooth enough to hit on something less than a full dh rig.

Haha, thanks. That thing took me like a month to grow already, so I guess it doesn't count for Movember….

Nov. 12, 2013, 4:09 p.m.

Not a huge fan of the slomo off the jumps. Nice riding though. What kind of bike is that? I started riding Cypress on my Specialized 6" and 6" Enduro but not sure I'd be keen to do all those jumps on it.

(And by started I mean I learned to ride on it and have since moved to a big bike. Now the Enduro feels squirrly as hell)