Cypress 2013 Conditions

April 1, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

Although, I gather BPP hikes quite intensively on the mountain, and that they will likely find any new work whether people post it on the internet or not.

Guess which trails they use to get around the mountainside.

April 2, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

Guess which trails they use to get around the mountainside.

Well, if they were really smart they would bushwack. But you tell me :)

April 2, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

Lower Cypress trails looking great - nice work at the bottom of Roach, Kever. I assume that is your "relaxing spot" near the bottom?

Cheers Ben

April 2, 2013, 10:27 a.m.

Lower Cypress trails looking great - nice work at the bottom of Roach, Kever. I assume that is your "relaxing spot" near the bottom?

Cheers Ben

Nope, a BP employee built those jumps, funny enough. Roach hit is pretty punched already. Not complaining, just saying. I need to find a way to keep people from locking up their brakes so much. A full rake, berm building and trail widening is in order.

April 2, 2013, 11:14 a.m.

On a trail as steep as Roach Hit I think that unfortunately in many sections you will find that gold wears away too fast, and especially if there is any water flow.

I don't think the new trend of golding sections is applicable to old-school steep gnar. It is more applicable to new-school trail alignments that carefully consider rider wear and water flow. Sometimes the only long-term solution will still be rock armouring, in my opnion.

April 2, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

Nope, a BP employee built those jumps, funny enough. Roach hit is pretty punched already. Not complaining, just saying. I need to find a way to keep people from locking up their brakes so much. A full rake, berm building and trail widening is in order.

Interesting. I come down Wu Tang (I think) on my XC loop so I miss the top of Roach hit. I do cross that creek and the new crossing makes that section enjoyable (upgraded from hike-a-bike for me). I'm not hitting the gaps and dorps though. Too old/scared/alone/late in the day!

Cheers Ben

April 2, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

Make Saint brakes mandatory. With more stopping power I feel in control almost all the time. I could be wrong but it feels like I can get down pretty much any trail on Cypress without locking up the bake tire. Shoreplay is getting punched to hell already.

April 2, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

Pedalled up Eagle Lake Rd today. Lots of 'Private Property/No Trespassing' signs at the turn to go up past the transformer station. But there's also a 'bikers use these trails at own risk' sign so I continued on.

The road they've cut is graded really well and is much easier to climb than before. Now you can pedal much higher up the BLT. I only saw one guy driving heavy equipment and he didn't say anything. There's also a 'Private Property of BP' sign at the top of Roach Hit.

Tall Cans and beyond were in great shape.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 2, 2013, 7:43 p.m.

Pedalled up Eagle Lake Rd today. Lots of 'Private Property/No Trespassing' signs at the turn to go up past the transformer station. But there's also a 'bikers use these trails at own risk' sign so I continued on.

The road they've cut is graded really well and is much easier to climb than before. Now you can pedal much higher up the BLT. I only saw one guy driving heavy equipment and he didn't say anything. There's also a 'Private Property of BP' sign at the top of Roach Hit.

Tall Cans and beyond were in great shape.

Yeah the new road is so well graded I went straight past the BLT turnoff. Thought I could hike-a-bike under the powerlines - not recommended, ran out of trail and light and had to backtrack and missed most of the singletrack down!
I also had a reality check, there is no way I could climb BLT with a 32t chainring so no 1x10 for me.
Cheers Ben

April 20, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

Any trails with snow up there? Is Mystery still buried?

April 21, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

Any trails with snow up there? Is Mystery still buried?

The first maybe 50m of Mystery is still buried but the rest is rideable and free of snow. The winter really took it's toll on the trail though and it is pretty rutted and rooty. Instead of the usual cruising flowy run it felt more like a DH run going down it.

April 26, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

Rode 5th horseman for the first time. Seems in pretty good condition. All trees have been removed from the trail, and the only thing that I noticed was the first side by side drops are damaged and covered in trees and the step up platform could use some dirt…. Wish I had a shovel with me.

Some visual reference:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/309370/

I was told 5th was the hardest on the mountain… Did I miss something? I know there s one drop that I passed to its right but other than that there wasn't anything obvious. I find all of the rock sections on cherry harder than the ones on 5th…

Cheers

April 29, 2013, 10:06 a.m.

Rode 5th horseman for the first time. Seems in pretty good condition. All trees have been removed from the trail, and the only thing that I noticed was the first side by side drops are damaged and covered in trees and the step up platform could use some dirt…. Wish I had a shovel with me.

Some visual reference:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/309370/

I was told 5th was the hardest on the mountain… Did I miss something? I know there s one drop that I passed to its right but other than that there wasn't anything obvious. I find all of the rock sections on cherry harder than the ones on 5th…

Cheers

5th is one of the harder trails on the mountain, but It's not the hardest one ;)

April 29, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

Here's the addendum added to signs on Cypress.

Listen up! The message is clear. This isn't rocket science.

[INDENT]The land owner has received legal advice to remove unauthorized structures for liability reasons. Action is required.[/INDENT]
Any legal types out there care to comment on the due diligence required of management having received said legal advice?

As awesome as some of these structures are, they are attracting unwanted attention from the land owner. People need to choose which battles to fight. Which is a higher priority, access to trails or putting up structures?

Bp is simply covering there asses in the event of a law suit. There are also sighns warning mountain bikers to beware of heavy machinery when crossing there access roads. I work with BP every day. Maybe ill visit the office and ask a few polite questions…..

Discuss.

Bp is simply covering there asses in the event of a law suit. There are also sighns warning mountain bikers to beware of heavy machinery when crossing there access roads. I work with BP every day. Maybe ill visit the office and ask a few polite questions…..

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

April 30, 2013, 5:23 p.m.

There is a moderately well known trail that has about 50 trees down on it from winter blowdown. PM me for deets, it would be nice to get that cleared as it is one of my favourite rips.