Cypress 2013 Conditions

March 22, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

There's excellent potential for the long term, but we need to mindful during the short term. BPP still has concerns, primarily forest fires, but also some liability. There are some stunts that they never-never want to see on their land and we need to respect that. Getting those resolved is a work in progress.

I'll see what I can find out abut the signs.

Thanks Alan, it's nice to have you pulling for us. Had a good chuckle at your response too, cheeky! I'm sending a PM.

March 23, 2013, 12:22 a.m.

Rode Cypress today after work and conditions were pretty good! Firehose and Shoreplay seemed to be draining well and weren't boggy at all! No snow at Sex Girl corner, but looks like we're a ways off Coiler/Mystery.

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

March 23, 2013, 2:51 p.m.

Lower trails were very good today. Some puddles [HTML_REMOVED] small amounts of windfall, but that's it. The roots look dry, but they are more slippery than they appear. Roaches, Wild Cherry, Insulator, SLT all good. Signs everywhere.

Thread killer

March 24, 2013, 7:45 a.m.

Here's the addendum added to signs on Cypress.

Listen up! The message is clear. This isn't rocket science.

[INDENT]The land owner has received legal advice to remove unauthorized structures for liability reasons. Action is required.[/INDENT]
Any legal types out there care to comment on the due diligence required of management having received said legal advice?

As awesome as some of these structures are, they are attracting unwanted attention from the land owner. People need to choose which battles to fight. Which is a higher priority, access to trails or putting up structures?

Discuss.

March 24, 2013, 8:29 a.m.

I'm willing to play ball if you can help me obtain permission to maintain trails. Or point me in the right direction of who to talk to. Maybe this is the first step in legitimizing cypress trails.

March 24, 2013, 8:40 a.m.

I'm willing to play ball if you can help me obtain permission to maintain trails. Or point me in the right direction of who to talk to. Maybe this is the first step in legitimizing cypress trails.

I hate to say it, but the message I got from those signs is "Play ball, or lose it all". AlanB has been talking to the powers that be for a long time now, it's well beyond the first step.

Although I may be wrong.

March 24, 2013, 8:51 a.m.

Don't hold your breath waiting for permission. The first step in legitimizing trails is identifying where the trails will be. Right now the land owner doesn't even know what lands can be developed, let alone where recreational trails will be.

The Upper Lands Working Group is expected to take 2 years to advise DWV Council on development in the Upper Lands. After that, an Area Development Plan will be developed with input from the community.

None of this will happen soon enough for any of us, but we've always known that it's going to be a slow process and that we have to work towards a long term solution. If we can maintain access to the trails in the short term, then that's a positive.

March 24, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

I'll keep doing my part by maintaining trails then. A well maintained trail network has a greater chance of being recognized and preserved than an unmaintained one. Thanks Alan and keep fighting the good fight.

March 24, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

I'll keep doing my part by maintaining trails then.

Good stuff. Thanks for your support.

We need to stay focused on avoiding structures. They're a major irritant that can easily be avoided.

March 26, 2013, 1:53 a.m.

Took a hand saw up to Cypress today and cut out a big tree on Sex Boy. Probably the last time I'll try to cut out a tree by hand but I don't have a chainsaw. There was a bigger tree down as well so I filled it in to make a bit of a drop. Probably the wrong thing to do there was no way in hell I could get through it with my little saw. Hard to tell what's going on in the photos but what do you think? Bad idea? Acceptable fix?

March 30, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

Trails are in good shape, but reaper has a tonne of trees down covering the top half of the trail

March 30, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

Trails are in good shape, but reaper has a tonne of trees down covering the top half of the trail

Holy crap. No kidding eh? Going to take someone with a BIG saw to clear that up.

March 31, 2013, 7:26 a.m.

There is one tree down at the entrance that could make a good replacement log ride for the original entrance…..

March 31, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

Thanks Alan, it's nice to have you pulling for us. Had a good chuckle at your response too, cheeky! I'm sending a PM.

Get a room ladies!

April 1, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

Here's the addendum added to signs on Cypress.

Listen up! The message is clear. This isn't rocket science.

[INDENT]The land owner has received legal advice to remove unauthorized structures for liability reasons. Action is required.[/INDENT]
Any legal types out there care to comment on the due diligence required of management having received said legal advice?

As awesome as some of these structures are, they are attracting unwanted attention from the land owner. People need to choose which battles to fight. Which is a higher priority, access to trails or putting up structures?

Discuss.

Thank you Alan, as always for keeping up the good fight.

One can not help but wonder if recent structures built and publicized on the internet have anything to do with this change (ahem, deadend).

Although, I gather BPP hikes quite intensively on the mountain, and that they will likely find any new work whether people post it on the internet or not.