Burnaby Mountain 2016

Sept. 1, 2016, 1:04 a.m.

They are well on their way to tying all that together. They are using water and a vibrating compactor, so it will be pretty solid to start. The cut going further downhill is just a rough start.

The bridge is now finished and the lowest parts of the trail seem about 90% finished. Hopefully they will open this soon.

fall any fall line

Sept. 2, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

So I see some miscreants have pulled one of the posts blocking the braid to the right of the tree where you're supposed to do the roll down on its left, nearish the top of LS.
This means speed going into a blind corner which I believe is contrary to the spirit of the trail such as it is a two way multi-use, someone's gonna' get clobbered there.

I noticed this too, and judging by the tire marks, the braid is definitely being used. there are a lot of quirky bits to that trail, I really don't see how pulling out the post really solved anything.

Old news but that little weird rooty drop lower down on LS is now framed up. For some reason I really have trouble keeping my speed getting to that drop for me not fly off it totally awkward, and now it is a tiny bit bigger it first took me for surprise

Sept. 2, 2016, 9:05 p.m.

So I see some miscreants have pulled one of the posts blocking the braid to the right of the tree where you're supposed to do the roll down on its left, nearish the top of LS.
This means speed going into a blind corner which I believe is contrary to the spirit of the trail such as it is a two way multi-use, someone's gonna' get clobbered there.

that's more an issue of poor trail design. seems that the same mistakes made on gear jammer and upper side winder have continued their way down the hill onto lower sidewinder. for the money being spent to put the trail in it's a bit of a shame that COB can't do a better job with the trail alignment.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 3, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

Be simple to make SW a one way uphill for cyclists. At least until the junction where it joins from the west. 'course punks would just ignore that I suppose.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 5, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

Be simple to make SW a one way uphill for cyclists. At least until the junction where it joins from the west. 'course punks would just ignore that I suppose.

Except, I for one like to ride down that whole network to the bottom of each trail and then climb back up. I go pretty quick but those trails are straight and wide enough that downhill and uphill traffic (and walkers) should have no trouble safely passing each other.

The final section down to the base of Nicole's looks like its just going to be a crushed rock extension to what's there now below the new bridge. I have a feeling I will be sticking to the roadway for that section. That's the wide parking section. I see no reason to want to climb up a straight flat boring grind when the road is smoother and easier to get up and past. It's a shame they aren't going to put in a bit more single track to complete things. Crushed rock over a 'road bed' is a crappy way to go.

fall any fall line

Nov. 9, 2016, 8:50 p.m.

Finally got a ride in on Bnby Mtn today. Some trees down, but everywhere I went they were cleared. The new trail is open (Lower Sidewinder). With all the water it's pretty soft in spots along the bottom half.

fall any fall line

Nov. 10, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

Finally got a ride in on Bnby Mtn today. Some trees down, but everywhere I went they were cleared. The new trail is open (Lower Sidewinder). With all the water it's pretty soft in spots along the bottom half.

How is Lower Sidewinder? Haven't been over to Burnaby Mtn since the spring. If we get a dry streak I'd like to check it out.

Nov. 10, 2016, 11:26 a.m.

How is Lower Sidewinder? .

Gooey when wet.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 10, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

How is Lower Sidewinder? Haven't been over to Burnaby Mtn since the spring. If we get a dry streak I'd like to check it out.

Its a nice little climb but isn't too interesting going down, except that it has numerous pinch points (rocks, logs, ferns along the side which stick into the trail path) so that you do need to pay attention at speed. Like Upper Sidewinder and Sidebandit, you can have fun if you go fast enough. But unlike those sections, the new one requires more attention to others on the trail - passing is not as clear.

fall any fall line

Nov. 21, 2016, 1:54 a.m.

Some gooey pits forming in a couple places on Sidewinder. Maybe stop and throw some rocks in when you pass?

Dec. 6, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

Anybody know of the snowline on Burnaby? Wanting to do some night missions this week

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Dec. 6, 2016, 2:02 p.m.

there's about 3" of snow on the ground at my place in burnaby which is about the same elevation as the base of sfu. with the tree cover i would guess you would have light snow on the trail at the base and probably a couple of inches up top.

translation - hit it!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 6, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

Anybody know of the snowline on Burnaby? Wanting to do some night missions this week

the university got shut down yesterday due to snow, although it wasn't that bad. i got first tracks up sidewinder yesterday morning but didn't on gearjammer going down in the aft. there were a few inches on the trails. it now might be crusty postholes if it warmed and froze like it did down below where i live.

plan to go up tomorrow; will post conditions

Dec. 6, 2016, 8:41 p.m.

We need that gondola! :D

Dec. 7, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

i'd give naheeno a pass, it was more walking than biking. upper mel's -[HTML_REMOVED] nicole's was all doable. although watch for low hanging branches and things under the snow

upper sidewinder was partially doable going up

bluebird sky, quite beautiful up there

have fun