Burnaby Mountain 2016

April 5, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

I think the orange markings all over the new lower section is where drainage will be added/improved after watching it over the winter.

Down lower, after the bridge that is still incomplete, I think they are trying to figure out the best way through that swamp and possibily stuck negotiating permanent access over the pipeline. Only reason I can think that the delay in completing would be so long.

Looks like Nicole's has had some recent work and maybe a bit of touching up on Lower Snake. Trail fairies or Burnaby? I'm guessing trail fairies. Mel's has had the drains cleared. Upper GJ needs some standard maintenance by Burnaby. Just the clearing of all drainage channels and restructuring some edges. Nothing big, just normal spring maintenance, but doesn't seem to be happening.

And I see deer often. But i ride up pretty early.

April 11, 2016, 12:53 a.m.

15 years and I can't believe I've never seen a deer.

And repeating myself: tungsten, where is there a "yet to be completed bridge?"

Geez man, I thought it was a dead giveaway! "Lower lower, sidewinder. Hmmm…:idea:"

stuck negotiating permanent access over the pipeline

Yeah that'd be my guess too.

One of the local bike companies should step up and fab a no maintenance truss to span it that could be easily hoisted out of the way with something like a backhoe, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 13, 2016, 12:21 a.m.

Geez man, I thought it was a dead giveaway! "Lower lower, sidewinder. Hmmm…:idea:"

Yeah that'd be my guess too.

One of the local bike companies should step up and fab a no maintenance truss to span it that could be easily hoisted out of the way with something like a backhoe, eh?

Yeah, I was a little slow, but I figured it out . . . havn't gone down yet though: how far down does it get you?

How long is the span?

fall any fall line

April 13, 2016, 3:12 p.m.

Yeah, I was a little slow, but I figured it out . . . havn't gone down yet though: how far down does it get you?

How long is the span?

More a climbing trail than a descending trail.

April 14, 2016, 1:52 a.m.

So, except for the bridge [HTML_REMOVED] ROW crossing, I assume its pretty much done?
I love Sidewinder/bandit, even though they are hardly singletrack beauties. I ride down them down and then climb back up to continue on the old trails. Good little climbs, and as much fun as one needs so long as you go fast enough. Can't wait for there to be a good Nicole's loop option.

Also, thanks to whoever fixed up the fallen tree hole on Mel's. The climb around is not a good idea. A more substantial structure may be needed in the long run.

fall any fall line

April 15, 2016, 9:15 p.m.

How long is the span?

It's at an angle from where they left off I figure 20, maybe 25 meters will do it.
Ride up and check it out….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 17, 2016, 10:31 a.m.

Jay Hoots is up repacking and reshaping the UniverCity dirt jumps on the top of the mountain for another season.

3 days of love. They'll be open again on Thursday.

As for other news… trail fairies have given some love to Naheno - just filling in holes and clearing drains, but enough to keep it flowing. Same for parts of Nicole's and Uppercut (or was this the City?).

GJ really needs drains cleared and a good raking. And not just trail run-off drains, but the larger drain paths that were created a couple years ago to keep water diverted from the trail surface - they have filled up with debris and duff over the winter (as to be expected), but won't function if they don't get regular maintenance. Hopefully the City is monitoring!

May 17, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

Yah UC looking better but noticed on Sunday GJ had got some smoothing love too.

That's a TransMtn pipeline, no? I'll bet $ to doughnuts they're stalling the CoB over that crossing out of spite the city didn't side with them during those protests.

:007:

May 23, 2016, 7:59 p.m.

Bear! :damn:

Intersection of UC and FJ. Approx. 6:30 ~ Almost ran right up on his ass, glad he was headed downhill!

Last seen headed north up powerlines at mouth of FJ. Size is subject I suppose but man it looked big to me……:eek:

June 21, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

There is a bear with a cub roaming around the bottom of bby mountain. She seems to spend most of her time in the Stoney Creek corridor, which is the green belt right at the bottom of North Rd trail - if you hang a right and follow the boardwalks back towards the power lines there's a pretty fair chance you'll cross paths with her.

Saw an RCMP walking the neighborhood with his shotgun out last night :damn: which is a bit of an alarming sight in the city. A friend saw him with a CO in the area as well, so they seem to be taking it seriously. I actually saw the bear and cub under the bridge over the creek on Stoney Creek Place this morning (I was on the bridge taking my daughter to school, looking down on the bear and cub below).

Careful…

July 10, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

Tree down lower lower Sidewinder.

Aug. 20, 2016, 2:20 a.m.

Good News: they have resumed work on the new trail (Lower Sidewinder?: new layer of 'gold,' compacted, and the bottom bridge approaches are filled in. Also, the bush has been wacked down where it will extend parallel to the road down to Nicole's base. Maybe it will open in the not too distant future.

fall any fall line

Aug. 21, 2016, 3:55 p.m.

Hope they finish the bridge and tie that all in before proceeding down slope.

Thanks to whomever is trail-fairying LS.

Aug. 25, 2016, 2:29 a.m.

Hope they finish the bridge and tie that all in before proceeding down slope.

Thanks to whomever is trail-fairying LS.

They are well on their way to tying all that together. They are using water and a vibrating compactor, so it will be pretty solid to start. The cut going further downhill is just a rough start.

fall any fall line

Aug. 28, 2016, 7:40 p.m.

So I see some miscreants have pulled one of the posts blocking the braid to the right of the tree where you're supposed to do the roll down on its left, nearish the top of LS.
This means speed going into a blind corner which I believe is contrary to the spirit of the trail such as it is a two way multi-use, someone's gonna' get clobbered there.