Burnaby Mountain 2016

Jan. 13, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

SFU: Camera Trap Project

If you have been riding through Naheeno you probably noticed the field cameras on the trees, well the students finished their project, alas four of the cameras went missing.

The class would love to get their cameras back, or even just the data.

If you can help you can contact the school directly or PM me and I will pass it on to Raime.

P.S. Trail conditions are perfect!

Jan. 14, 2016, 10:18 a.m.

^^ Hope you guys get em back. Who the hell steals something like that from the woods, jeez.

Itching to get out on the bike this weekend and debating between Seymour and Burnaby Mtn. It's going to be wet, ok to ride Neheeno, Nicoles, Gearjammer/lower Snake in the wet? Only been to SFU when it's dusty.

Jan. 14, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

yeah that sucks about the cameras. i wonder if there were signs saying what the cameras were there for…in fernie i saw ones set up in plain sight in spots along the river but with a sign saying why they were there (student project). it might help deter folks, dunno

Jan. 14, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

Itching to get out on the bike this weekend and debating between Seymour and Burnaby Mtn. It's going to be wet, ok to ride Neheeno, Nicoles, Gearjammer/lower Snake in the wet? Only been to SFU when it's dusty.

Woodwork can be a little treacherous, just take it easy on the brakes. :eek:

That said I hope the local ski season isn't a complete wipeout 'cause those trails will really get a beat down if it is.

Does anyone know, are they going to finish that bridge and section of the new climbing trail?

Blows about those cameras. People are shits.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 14, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

naheeno gets a little puddly and soft. be careful of the curved bridge at the top, right after the little drop off. that is slick as can be. i find nicoles to be good to run in the wet as opposed to gearjammer which seems to have a lot more water running down it. the lower, lower part of gearjammer is pretty washed out

Jan. 15, 2016, 9:35 p.m.

Never noticed the cameras but I did see that cat a few weeks ago near the top of the Trans Canada Trail climb. Thought it was a cougar at first but then noticed the short tail and ear tufts. It was standing in the middle of the trail. When it saw me it ran up the side of the trail, turned around and watched me ride by. Not sure if it was a Bobcat or a Lynx. Made my day, been riding burnaby for many years and the only wildlife I have seen are squirrels, raccoons and the occasional deer.

Jan. 18, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

So I see where there may be conflicting interests holding up the completion of that trail as the work stoppage is right where a water pipeline crosses a high pressure oil pipeline.
Guess they're waiting on the go ahead from two sets of enginards w/competing interests and different holiday schedules. lol

Looks like some areas of GJ and LS are getting some attention amiright?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 8, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

Large tree down across lower North Road trail, just before the "U" turn.

[INDENT]Some one has built up some logs and broken off some branches to make a rollover, but it may be easier to just walk around the tree for the moment.[/INDENT]

Feb. 10, 2016, 3:32 p.m.

Does anyone know the shape of the pump track and dirt jumps up top?

Feb. 18, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

they are usually good to go one full 24 hour period after rain ceases. If done within the day of the rain (even if dry all day), the jumps are squishy and you'll just rut them out.

the pump track about the same and as long as you keep it rolling, you won't hit the puddles in the low points. If you're riding that low, you should be on a run bike….

March 17, 2016, 8:31 a.m.

Naheeno-tree down near entrance, left-side trail, just opposite the bridge, where the trail splits.

March 20, 2016, 1:45 p.m.

Somethings happening. There's orange arrows and hash marks all over the lower lower section of Sidewinder.

lol… peeps have made a teeter totter with that lumber left down by the yet to be completed bridge.

March 25, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

Where is there a "yet to be completed bridge?"

fall any fall line

April 4, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

Never noticed the cameras but I did see that cat a few weeks ago near the top of the Trans Canada Trail climb. Thought it was a cougar at first but then noticed the short tail and ear tufts. It was standing in the middle of the trail. When it saw me it ran up the side of the trail, turned around and watched me ride by. Not sure if it was a Bobcat or a Lynx. Made my day, been riding burnaby for many years and the only wildlife I have seen are squirrels, raccoons and the occasional deer.

I grew up on garrow with our back gate on north road and spent alot of time on bby mountain growing up and saw many bobcats over the years. Bears, coyotes and of course deer. Used to feed them by hand thru the fence to the petro can plant.

April 5, 2016, 1:11 a.m.

15 years and I can't believe I've never seen a deer.

And repeating myself: tungsten, where is there a "yet to be completed bridge?"

fall any fall line