Burnaby Mountain 2015

Oct. 22, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

Good Vibes Welcomed,

:canada:

Oct. 22, 2015, 10:13 p.m.

I encourage anyone who is wanting more stuff to happen on Burnaby Mountain, to show up for the trail day and talk with the City Manager. He will be onsite; Ask him questions.

i am going to seriously try and make this so i can interrogate, err ask questions, of the manager on many things.

also, is the manner in which the work to be done be set in stone - hehehe - or is it open to input/change on the day of the trail day? there are two sections in particular that are beyond saving and need comeplete reworking but there is one section that i would like to see get minimal levels of repair - only what is minimally necessary to abate any further erosion.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 23, 2015, 8:52 a.m.

….
also, is the manner in which the work to be done be set in stone - hehehe - or is it open to input/change on the day of the trail day? there are two sections in particular that are beyond saving and need comeplete reworking but there is one section that i would like to see get minimal levels of repair - only what is minimally necessary to abate any further erosion.

There is a ton of work to do in that area. We are planning on just fixing some of the bad spots tomorrow- We've based this on the amount of man power that usually shows up. The whole area needs a reroute and at least two solid days of work with a lot of labour.

Your areas might be the same ones we have identified. We do need to get the approval of the City- see me when you get there.

Oct. 25, 2015, 12:34 p.m.

good trail day yesterday and a bunch of great work got done.

pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1067333119957170.1073741835.166074226749735[HTML_REMOVED]type=3

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 25, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1067333119957170.1073741835.166074226749735[HTML_REMOVED]type=3

Thanks for all your effort, especially Judy and Brent! :rave:

Oct. 26, 2015, 9:19 a.m.

pics here:

Thanks for all your expertise and hard work! Some good stuff accomplished with a small crew!

Oct. 26, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

i am going to seriously try and make this so i can interrogate, err ask questions, of the manager on many things.

Spill it. Whad'ya find out?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 26, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

Thanks for the hard work done on behalf of us all. I really think you chose the best spots to repair, of the lower trail network. Being sick, I won't get to check it out for a bit, but the photos look great. It looks like you have improved things considerably in terms of the climbing direction. Excellent.

. . . and, off topic about night riding: the court ruling, against Abbottsford Bylaw, allowing homeless citizens (or anyone else) to camp overnight in city parks, just might riccochet down the line until it reaches, and permits cylists (or anyone else) to ride in city parks during the night. Who knows?

fall any fall line

Oct. 26, 2015, 5:58 p.m.

Spill it. Whad'ya find out?

not a helluva lot, really nothing more than what i already know/knew.

the surprising tidbit was that the city has spent a couple hundred K on the mountain over the past couple of years and i thought really? where did all the money go? i don't see good value for that dollar in terms of on trail benefit.

the thing i find ridiculous is that in order to run a trail day the city has to be there, 2 labourers/crew and a manager for a total of three people. that costs money and the number put out there was about $2K to run a trail day. i think of the amount of work I could do for $2K and it would be quite a bit more than what we accomplished on that one day.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 27, 2015, 1:08 a.m.

Ah, municipal government: the least inventive, adaptive, and generally change-challenged government structure ever in this country.

fall any fall line

Oct. 30, 2015, 9 a.m.

……

the surprising tidbit was that the city has spent a couple hundred K on the mountain over the past couple of years and i thought really? where did all the money go? i don't see good value for that dollar in terms of on trail benefit.

the thing i find ridiculous is that in order to run a trail day the city has to be there, 2 labourers/crew and a manager for a total of three people. that costs money and the number put out there was about $2K to run a trail day. i think of the amount of work I could do for $2K and it would be quite a bit more than what we accomplished on that one day.

Well Said and pretty bang on!
The hoops and BS that need to be jumped through to just have a basic trail day are time consuming and restrictive. Moving forward to a more progressive model, which the BMBA has been actively pursuing for the last 2 years, is met with the same circular logic you heard a bit of on Saturday. IE- The City States that the reason we can't have a trail day is the cost, Well the BMBA have sponsors money to pick up the cost of the day, Problem solved right?, Nope then the reason changes,…. the city is short on manpower, ….its the wrong time of year, they have no way of accepting the money…. - UGH!

Anyways, Much appreciated to those that showed up and offered their skills. Every little bit helps, including the questions directed towards the City.

Nov. 2, 2015, 3:27 p.m.

GJ,UC,LS all looking good, real good in spite of the recent deluge.

Thanks to whoever placed those stones in at the bottom of that framed rock pitch on LS…..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 26, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

WTF? Anyone else find it funny that someone has blown the new trails clean?

I'll assume the company that built them has a maintenance period they are responsible for. But walking along with a gas blower? Hmmm.

fall any fall line

Nov. 26, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

WTF? Anyone else find it funny that someone has blown the new trails clean?

I'll assume the company that built them has a maintenance period they are responsible for. But walking along with a gas blower? Hmmm.

read the 2nd half of post #129 in this thread.

Nov. 27, 2015, 8:13 a.m.

new trails

What new trail EcoRiva? The new climber?

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.