Burnaby Mountain 2015

Sept. 9, 2015, 2:22 p.m.

Well if BMBA says it ok then I must appoligise. I just read the rules on the map . Sorry, for being rude EcoRiva. (hugs)

No big deal. Thanks for doing so.

I do have a question for you though: I also have respect for the BMBA, but for reasons unknown to me, they barely seem to hold together. I might be good if they could increase their membership and play a larger role. I tried to join twice (a few years back) and simply received no reply. So, my question: why do you so clearly respect their authority on something like this? With respect, you were upset until the BMBA said its ok, and suddenly your ok. Didn't you have what you felt were legitamate arguments which would lead you to disagree with BMBA?

Now to generalize this, what does everyone (including BMBA) think about the BMBA? What would everyone like to see the BMBA become? In terms of trail work, I have done trail days (years ago) but prefer to work on my own. But I would join the BMBA if I could see more clearly who they are. I remember that they have established a relationship with the City of Burnaby. There used to be an OK website, but it became stagnant. Without knocking the BMBA, I also think things are working out pretty good as is: as Whitehonky just described in terms of taking care of the mountain.

What does everyone think?

Syncro - it wasn't SFU that removed the Naheeno tree. I did.

fall any fall line

Sept. 9, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

Syncro - it wasn't SFU that removed the Naheeno tree. I did.

good job, but i didn't say it was sfu.

re your point about BMBA, my impression is a lot of it has to do with red tape from the COB.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 9, 2015, 3:03 p.m.

Eco, I read the map and even told a good friend of mine that we were not supposed to ride in the dark or rain. Now I have totally changed my view and I feel bad trying to help mention a rule that the BMBA doesn't even follow.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 9, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

re your point about BMBA, my impression is a lot of it has to do with red tape from the COB.

Who is building lower sidewinder? City or BMBA

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 9, 2015, 3:15 p.m.

Who is building lower sidewinder? City or BMBA

a contractor via the city. probably the same that did upper sidewinder.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 9, 2015, 6:12 p.m.

Eco, I read the map and even told a good friend of mine that we were not supposed to ride in the dark or rain. Now I have totally changed my view and I feel bad trying to help mention a rule that the BMBA doesn't even follow.

Don't sweat it. Its just a forum where we are all only fictions to each other. Glad to see you were open in the long run and even reassessed your view. Night riding takes your familiar trails and makes them fresh and different. Its also requires a bit of a different approach to one's riding: with less, but more focused, visual information you have to react differently to the trail. To a lesser extent, the connection between visual information and haptic information (including feeling pressure and other forces) is not as straightforward, leading to another difference that is interesting and fun to play around with. I don't think one can ride as fast as in the light, but pushing your speed in the dark is a thrill.

Sorry syncro, I should have referred to whitehonky.

fall any fall line

Sept. 10, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

I do have a question for you though: I also have respect for the BMBA, but for reasons unknown to me, they barely seem to hold together. I might be good if they could increase their membership and play a larger role. I tried to join twice (a few years back) and simply received no reply. So, my question: why do you so clearly respect their authority on something like this? With respect, you were upset until the BMBA said its ok, and suddenly your ok. Didn't you have what you felt were legitamate arguments which would lead you to disagree with BMBA?

Now to generalize this, what does everyone (including BMBA) think about the BMBA? What would everyone like to see the BMBA become? In terms of trail work, I have done trail days (years ago) but prefer to work on my own. But I would join the BMBA if I could see more clearly who they are. I remember that they have established a relationship with the City of Burnaby. There used to be an OK website, but it became stagnant. Without knocking the BMBA, I also think things are working out pretty good as is: as Whitehonky just described in terms of taking care of the mountain.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for your comments.

We have had three trail days this year, have you attended any of them? Although we had posted details on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Burnaby-Mountain-Biking-Association-166074226749735/timeline/ and on this forum, attendance at our trail days has been extremely low and we are always happy to see new faces.

We will be having another one on Saturday October 24, maybe you could come out and give us a hand? we always appreciate the sacrifice that people make to take time out from riding the trails to helping maintain them.

You are correct in that we have a special relationship with the City of Burnaby. The details are not something that are going to be posted on an open forum, however. If you (or anyone for that matter) would like to know more then I would suggest that you (general you here) come and participate at one of our trail days.

We supply awesome pizza for the volunteers and then we usually end up at Dageraad for a brew after.

Details of our upcoming trail day will be posted here and on our facebook page closer to the date.

-BMBA

Sept. 11, 2015, 12:24 a.m.

Thanks for your comments . . .
-BMBA

I mostly haven't attended organized trail days for years. I have been aware of your efforts though . . . but unaware of your low turnouts. These kinds of things don't usually work for me so I keep my end up when I can on my own. I will make an extra effort to come out to your October day. It would be good to meet whoever there is to meet. We might even find a way for me to contribute something.

I brought the BMBA up out of my own interest, but also to see what interest/questions/involvements others may have or want. I might think things are working themselves out pretty well, without organized effort, but I also think a good active trail association could make things better.

fall any fall line

Sept. 21, 2015, 10:26 p.m.

So, anybody have a chance to check the progress of this?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 21, 2015, 11:13 p.m.

So, anybody have a chance to check the progress of this?

Here's an idea - why not just wait until the City advises that it's open, and then ride it? Yes, I agree, it's probably a rather novel idea ;)

Sept. 22, 2015, 12:47 a.m.

Who said anything about riding it?

Checking could entail an off trail stroll in the woods or simply a phone call for those connected.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 7, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

FYI, I'm planning on going
And we ended up at Dageraad apres trail day last time :beer:

From the BMBA facebook page
Finally, our last trail day of the year will be on Saturday, October 24 - mark your calendars! At this trail day we will be pulling a name from the volunteers who attended the last 3 trail days for the SuspensionWerx gift certificate! We will provide more details closer to this date.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burnaby-Mountain-Biking-Association/166074226749735?fref=nfhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Burnaby-Mountain-Biking-Association/166074226749735?fref=nf

:canada:

Oct. 15, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

So we just posted an update on our facebook page to our upcoming trail day, here's a cut and paste FYI:

Hi everyone, just a reminder of our upcoming trail day on Burnaby Mountain in just over a week's time - Saturday October 24. We will be working on North Road Trail, on the section between Jim's Jungle and the pumphouse (where North Road intersects with Chapman). The word of the day is "rocks", as we will be fixing eroded sections of the trail and protecting tree roots which have become terribly exposed. We will be meeting at 8am at the pumphouse, where the City will be with their tent and sign-in, and then we will be wrapping things up by 3pm. Lunch (pizza), water and pop will be provided.
Also, as mentioned previously, the attendees of this trail day and the last two of our trail days will be entered into a draw for a gift certificate to Suspensionwerx.
Hope to see you there!

Oct. 22, 2015, 10:39 a.m.

So there is a trail day.
An actual event where some stuff will get done.
I find it interesting how the banter has gone quiet, Maybe just coincidence?

The last trail day had real good conversations between the City Manager and the volunteers. It was pretty relaxed over pizza lunch and at the end of the day.
However, the answers given were more proactive than we have ever heard. Directly related to this we were able to secure a small step towards a TAP plan we have been working on for years.

I encourage anyone who is wanting more stuff to happen on Burnaby Mountain, to show up for the trail day and talk with the City Manager. He will be onsite; Ask him questions.

So we just posted an update on our facebook page to our upcoming trail day, here's a cut and paste FYI:

Hi everyone, just a reminder of our upcoming trail day on Burnaby Mountain in just over a week's time - Saturday October 24. We will be working on North Road Trail, on the section between Jim's Jungle and the pumphouse (where North Road intersects with Chapman). The word of the day is "rocks", as we will be fixing eroded sections of the trail and protecting tree roots which have become terribly exposed. We will be meeting at 8am at the pumphouse, where the City will be with their tent and sign-in, and then we will be wrapping things up by 3pm. Lunch (pizza), water and pop will be provided.
Also, as mentioned previously, the attendees of this trail day and the last two of our trail days will be entered into a draw for a gift certificate to Suspensionwerx.
Hope to see you there!

:canada:

Oct. 22, 2015, 2:11 p.m.

So there is a trail day.
An actual event where some stuff will get done.
I find it interesting how the banter has gone quiet, Maybe just coincidence?

Yeah, it is a coincidence.
This thread shuts down completely for no apparent reason irrespective of topic from time to time and there is nothing conspiratorial about it.
You all have a good time at that trail day, and thank those guys from the CoB for putting in that climbing trail for me, will you?
Run a trail day on Mon./Tues. some time and I'm there. Otherwise all I can do is to wish you constructive good vibes from wherever I am while I work this Sat.
And Thank You.