Burnaby Mountain 2015

Aug. 26, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

Right between nesting and riparian season like the man said. :clap:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 27, 2015, 10:42 a.m.

Dat mountain any good for da riding?
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 30, 2015, 6:55 p.m.

lots and lots of large trees down. one on sidewinder, one on mels between the service road and nicoles, a couple on nicoles including a dangerous one hanging over the trail, and one on function junction. the upper part of gear jammer was totaled yesterday. lots of little stuff too that can be moved off to the side, but these trees need a chainsaw

Aug. 31, 2015, 3:04 a.m.

Lots of trees down, but I think more importantly right now is that there are lots of broken, rotten, heavy as hell, trees that are not down yet, but are ready to fall, or are hung up (some precariously), leaning, cracked, and so forth. I cleaned up the lower 2/3 of Naheeno yesterday, and there are two or three scary situations in that short strectch.

So, BE SAFE OUT THERE and DON'T GO IN THE WOODS WHEN ITS WINDY!

fall any fall line

Sept. 3, 2015, 12:54 a.m.

It always amazes when one sees how much material comes down in a storm. I am amazed again! I rode Naheeno-Mel's-Sidewinder (out and back)-Mel's-Gear Jammer-Uppercut-North Road tonight in the dark and it was unrecognizable in parts. And: 9 trees (some quite large) down across just those trails. There is a hell of a lot of work, including chainsaw work, and digging, to do to clear and repair it all.

I know not everyone can do the heavy work. City/university (?) crews, and those who know who they are, will deal with the fallen trees. Other trail ghosts will shovel and make the bigger repairs.

But what would be great would be if everyone stopped for 15 minutes each ride and tossed the smaller branches and debris from the trails into the bush. I bet the whole mountain would be cleared pretty quickly.

fall any fall line

Sept. 3, 2015, 1:44 p.m.

Yeah… Burnaby is going to take some time to cut through the carnage. The east side got hit really bad. Mel's between TransCanada and Gear Jammer is ravaged. Took me 20 minutes to hike-a-bike through serious downfall. At least 8 non-passable locations - multiple trees down and significant chainsaw work needed.

Upper GJ is cleared already, with the exception of one new tree down at Mel's GJ intersection. A serious reminder that there is stuff in the woods that got pretty shaken up, but is yet to come down. Caution and take any creaking very seriously.

Trans Canada is cleared. Rode home Nicole's last night and other than debris, nothing down on Nicole's.

I'm surprised Burnaby has not at least closed or caution-taped all trail entrances. Coming down some of those trails at full speed or in the dark could lead to pretty big consequences right now. Certainly user-risk signage would have been expected until the clean-up is done. Secondary trails will likely take a while for crews to get to. It will be interesting to explore all the trails over the next week to see what else has happened that only trail fairies will ever get to fixing.

Naheno had only one downed tree. I sent in a service request today, so it should be rectified soon after other campus carnage clean-up is done.

Drains are all clogged and plugged with debris. Serious shovel-work needed before next systems roll through. That said, as far as water goes, the mountain handled the rain very well. The floods of GJ from last year did not return. Even with drains plugged. Whew.

Sept. 3, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

It always amazes when one sees how much material comes down in a storm. I am amazed again! I rode Naheeno-Mel's-Sidewinder (out and back)-Mel's-Gear Jammer-Uppercut-North Road tonight in the dark and it was unrecognizable in parts. And: 9 trees (some quite large) down across just those trails. There is a hell of a lot of work, including chainsaw work, and digging, to do to clear and repair it all.

I know not everyone can do the heavy work. City/university (?) crews, and those who know who they are, will deal with the fallen trees. Other trail ghosts will shovel and make the bigger repairs.

But what would be great would be if everyone stopped for 15 minutes each ride and tossed the smaller branches and debris from the trails into the bush. I bet the whole mountain would be cleared pretty quickly.

I hope you were kidding, the BBY mountain trails are closed at night between dusk and dawn.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 3, 2015, 4:14 p.m.

If anybody is going up there this weekend to clean-up I would like to help.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

Sept. 3, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

If anybody is going up there this weekend to clean-up I would like to help.

sat?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 3, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

Sounds good. Please do not saw me up :-) pm me the rendezvous point

Sept. 3, 2015, 6:21 p.m.

Actually just post it, hopefully a few people show up

Sept. 3, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

I hope you were kidding, the BBY mountain trails are closed at night between dusk and dawn.

Kidding? Why?

fall any fall line

Sept. 3, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

sat morning trail work on sfu to clean up branches and what not from the windstorm. let's meet at the pumphouse on north road and hike in from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/lC3EE

bring a shovel if you have one as we'll clear some drains too. if not let me know and i can bring a spare.

this will be a shorter day, 4hrs max.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 7, 2015, 1:08 a.m.

The one fallen tree across Naheeno is gone now.
How did the Sat. morning clean-up go?
As syncro pointed out, another thing that needs doing is clearing drains. Again, we could collectively do the trail network a lot of good (for the upcomming winter) if we put in little efforts to clear out drainage ditches and accumulated organic material blocking natural water flow courses.
I am not suggesting that anyone just go out implementing their own drainage schemes. Rather, just light maintenance of the drainage that is obviously there now.
If a boggy area can be improved with better drainage, and you know what you are doing, by all means . . .

fall any fall line

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:42 p.m.

I rode Naheeno-Mel's-Sidewinder (out and back)-Mel's-Gear Jammer-Uppercut-North Road tonight in the dark

Did you know the trails are closed at night? If you did know that, would you still ride the trails and then post that you went for a night ride on closed trails? Are you that stupid? Were you on an e-bike?